Nugget Shooter Forums

Found morsel eastern plains C.O.

I'm going with yellow Chalcedony which is a type of micro crystalline quartz.  Its a very colorful sample.

Jacob, if you could read up on basic mineral characteristics/tests such as hardness, specific gravity, reactivity with vinegar or weak acids, magnetism etc. and provide the general area and setting where the sample was found and relay some of that info to the group here, it would greatly aid in accurately IDing the samples as well as increase your understanding in how to ID the minerals yourself.  Here is a link to a website that list some of the basic tests use to ID a mineral: Mineral ID.  This site goes into more detail into the tests: Mineral Tests.  There are many more sites about mineral testing and if you go through past post on this site you  will come up with other websites to check out.

Thanks for sharing your finds, its what makes this site interesting and special.

• Like 1

I think Bill-S is right.  I always think of Jasper as red or orange in color.  A quick check online shows a beast called "mustard jasper", now there is a descriptive term if ever there was one.  There it is:  mustard jasper

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 4meter said:

I think Bill-S is right.  I always think of Jasper as red or orange in color.  A quick check online shows a beast called "mustard jasper", now there is a descriptive term if ever there was one.  There it is:  mustard jasper

Technically speaking, jasper is chalcedony, so you were also right. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jacob G said:

Anyone on here a geologist in real life?

Yes there are several, with Chris Ralph being one of them, he usually will let us figure it out before jumping in to ID if we are struggling :ROFL:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jacob G said:

If we are going wish jasper, I found all these variation of what I believe to be the same stones in a washed out area.

20170712_223121.jpg

They all sure do look like jaspers.

• Like 1