Nugget Shooter Forums

I want to make plans for a hunt trip.

21 hours ago, Rocky said:

Hi Swamp, 

Thanks for the warm welcome and pointers and I appreciate it big time for the sake of leading me in the optimal direction. This will strictly be a meteorite hunting trip and you can disregard the part about tall whites (aliens) it's not a serious part of the topic.

This trip will not be a father and son trip, it is a solo/maybe with someone with similar interest meteorite hunting if interested. I'm trying to acquire a solid list of suggested equipment needs/suggestions/possible a co-hunter for the intended destination. So far as Bill stated he would stear me in the direction or meteorites given I choose to go to AZ and because I've always wanted to go to AZ to begin with I'm choosing AZ with out a particular strewn feild chosen yet. 

Location.                                             -Arizona (haven't chosen exactly pending suggestions)

Meteorite Type.                                        Chondrites preferably because I don't have a good detector for irons and for first hunt I don't want to go with a detector. (visual hunt only for first trip, I want to feel the environment, not swing or carry detector all day)

Equipment I plan to bring. Excluding the details of clothing and food/water.

-pick, rare earth magnet stick, backpack, Cellphone for (GPS, emergency calls, camera), baggies, file, 220 grit sand paper, magnify loop, compass, Atlas, map, so far plain and simple.

Time table.                                      -Five Days, Fall.

Transportation means.                   - preferably cross country in my jeep non-stop w/bathroom trips and dinner out, sleep in jeep. Maybe airline with truck rental if it's a cheaper option and better time table.

Camping.                                        -Optional pending whether I can carry a side arm or not over in AZ. If I can't it will be a hotel local to close proximity to chosen strewn field or hot spot.

Is this a thing for me.                     -short answer yes.                             -long but short answer when you have a feeling in your soul and not a shred of doubt in every fiber of your being that you want to be in a place in your own head in the middle of a furnace searching for answers and what interests you  most and what you love and know you can handle, I trust myself and truly know my limits because of the experience I've had already in life. Not a single shread of doubt I would go to death Vally without reservation because I know my preparations will be my safety, sanity and salvation in these environments.

EDIT: I'm not going to deny it, I read through this and changed the delivery of a few things because I got carried away. I love to write please forgive me and re-read the ending if it was too spotty before sorry guys.

NOTE: Full quote due to page change..

Oh, that's plenty specific enough, lol..

I don't do meteorites so can't help in that regard but do x-country.. Another who does x-country, and from your neck of the woods rather than FL, is Mike Furness -- so he may chime in too when he sees this thread..

First thing I'll say is I'll never fly commercial again unless absolutely no other choice, and if flying is the only choice it's (almost) 100% assured you won't be seeing me wherever 'there' is unless you send a private plane.. This has nothing to do with fear of flying; it has everything to do with profiling.. My "incident" was pre-9/11 too.. There's no way I'd make it from an airport entrance to boarding without snapping somewhere along the line in this post-9/11 flying environment..

With that said: In the choice between driving vs flying there comes a point considering mileage alone (mileage includes cost of fuel and wear-and-tear on personal vehicle) where flying and vehicle rental becomes the more economical move.. That still doesn't make it the better choice.. Now add in travel time and other expenses for choosing driving over flying.. Definitely not the cheaper of the two now for sure $-wise not to mention time-wise, yet still may be the right decision.. I know in my case driving is always the right choice.. Having access to all my 'stuff' (not being limited to one detector if flying, as a frugal example) and knowing I have a place to sleep if necessary more-than-off-sets monetary and time "overages", for me at least..

Swamp

EDIT: Oops.. Almost forgot the most important part: For this first trip you have planned, given it's more a look-see, both economically and time-wise it appears flying, vehicle rental and motels puts you ahead of the game.. Future longer trips may be a different story.. 

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

Five days is pretty short!  If you fly you lose most, if not all of a day....assuming no other airport problems. If you drive like a crazy man it will take you a day/night...so either way,you have lost two days coming and going. You are young so maybe that is not a problem.

Bill suggests Franconia, I agree. Gold Basin is another good option.  Holbrook is the only option that you stand a good chance of finding something without a detector. There are tons of posts on this forum and the internet for your research.

Franconia is accessible by passenger car (rental?) and can be searched by foot from the parking area. Realize that both of these areas have been hit hard...if you don't currently own and use a detector things could be difficult...for you.

good luck

fred

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Five days is pretty short!  If you fly you lose most, if not all of a day....assuming no other airport problems. If you drive like a crazy man it will take you a day/night...so either way,you have lost two days coming and going. You are young so maybe that is not a problem.

Bill suggests Franconia, I agree. Gold Basin is another good option.  Holbrook is the only option that you stand a good chance of finding something without a detector. There are tons of posts on this forum and the internet for your research.

Franconia is accessible by passenger car (rental?) and can be searched by foot from the parking area. Realize that both of these areas have been hit hard...if you don't currently own and use a detector things could be difficult...for you.

good luck

fred

You're underestimating drive time, Fred.. The best I've ever done non-stop except for fuel is 36 hours Cocoa to Las Cruces while running a sensible no more than 9 mph over the speed limit in the wide open's.. I figure it at absolute minimum 2 1/2 to just under three days each way to/from Wickenburg if really pushing drive time and by the time ya get some real sleep even with cat naps along the way to being ready to take on the world again..

Swamp

• Like 1

Holbrook sounds great!!! It's a hard decision whether to drive or not, this would be a long haul but it's so tempting. I feel like I need a camper truck for this if I drive and just say screw it and take 2 weeks off instead.

Screenshot_20170721-185143~2.png

Here's the MetBul meteorite data mapped along with land ownership/management.

It appears you have several known falls right where you live. I know it's all private land where you are from but Holbrook is also all private land as is nearby Canyon Diablo.

If your goal is a Western vacation Arizona could be a good choice. If your goal is finding meteorites you will pass by most of the known falls just getting to Arizona.

Edited by clay
  • Like 3

I'm really interested to see Arizona as well but more strictly a hunt in Arizona. As I said before the landscape of the hunt is just the bonus. That metbul map is full the whole way there. Thanks for posting that Clay:yesss: may be I can hit a few on the way there. You know, jump out and look fast and scurry off.:ROFL:

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Rocky said:

Clay, can you hunt these places without permission ?? I figured they were casually hunted without permission.

Just like back east private land is... private. The laws are the same, if you want to hunt private lands you need written permission. Just contact the owner and in most cases you will get a yes if you are humble and straightforward. Folks are pretty accommodating in the west.

For Holbrook you can look up a property owner on the Navajo County Assessors map. Their address will be in the information there or maybe someone on the forum who has gone through the process of getting permission will PM you with the info you need.

Canyon Diablo and the Berringer Meteor crater property are off limits. It's been a long time since they let anyone hunt there. I've got a few from there (with permission) and you can find them on the ground without a detector but that country has no cover. If you try to sneak on the property you will be spotted and possibly arrested. Those folks are serious.

There are hundreds of known falls on the public lands. You can hunt those for free if there are no mining claims or leases. Do a little research and I'm sure you will find more places you can hunt than you will have time for in your lifetime.

There have been some good suggestions here. Maybe some kind soul will PM you with a good location. It's not like your limited visit time could even put a dent in all those strewn fields.

• Like 2

Just my 2 cents about protection.  We're from Florida, so we travel to get to Arizona deserts.  We don't own handguns.  When we go out, I mail ahead a can of bear spray since you can't take it on the plane (costs about $8 to ground ship via USPS).  I figure if it would stop a bear, it would stop anything else (boar, coyote, bobcat......).  Will be interested in hearing any comments about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1