Nugget Shooter Forums

I want to make plans for a hunt trip.

Okay guys an gals my wife asked me the other day if I still had plans to head out west with my father for a special trip in the desert. Wanna here a funny story, if you guys haven't already read Millennia Hospitality, basically my father hooked me to the book and I don't read books ever but I read this one and the second, so I suggested to my father we make plans to go see these tall whites for ourselves. Long story short I don't want to have a risky adventure for my first southwest trip and get freaked out for no reason and never return there especially with all the good meteorite hunting grounds available. By the way I live in Cape Cod Massachusetts and I'm a grounds manager for a private school (really glorified landscaper) all the grass is green and pristine over hear, not much desert, Well so instead I'd like to plan a trip to go on a hunt maybe with one you you guys or gals if your interested. I'm very relaxed and patient and prefer to hunt for hours on end with sip and snack breaks in between 

Reply if you are interested, or would like to voice any questions, comments, advise, concerns.

Sincerely,

Steve (aka Rocky literally for years now)

IMAG0100.jpg

13926008_10209113248100299_1692397315148089485_o.jpg

28 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

Give a shout when in AZ and I'll try to steer you into a couple meteorite areas....

Thanks Bill. I'd like to visit AZ first because all that beautiful terrain this would be excellent. 

Is carrying something to think about if I go out alone. Like a pellet or BB type for safety, or is a situation needing protecting like this never really a issue. Just thinking of self defense. Not sure know how dangerous Arizona deserts are I've never been even close, been to NY, CT, FL, VT, NH, RI, PA, IN, and across seas in Belarus. Still have all the limbs, sanity was gone years ago LOL. Just trying to prepare. Also I'm thinking of driving but it's 32hrs Vs 3.5 by plane, should I just say screw it, flyover and rent a vehicle??? Need lonely travel advice LOL, could google it but people like me might have more sound advice for this topic.:Just_Cuz_06:

Edited by Rocky

Wait till late October early November. Personally I never go into the desert unarmed. I almost got hurt by a boar early one morning, and if I hadn't scared the crap out of it by letting off a round in his direction it might have been bad. Not going to happen every time out, but you don't need it until you need it.

badaz.jpg

• Like 2

That's it " you don't need it till you need it" enough said, I'm with you on that statement. Boars can be bastards right?? Worst I have is Great White Sharks off Cape Cod coast , not really a problem, and Deer ticks that cause Lyme disease and other ailments.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 2:53 PM, Terry Soloman said:

Wait till late October early November. Personally I never go into the desert unarmed.

Both good pieces of advice.

The US southwest is no joke in the summer, even for us life-long residents who are acclimatized and have all the proper desert survival gear/knowledge.  We still stay home this time of year.

I carry whenever on public lands, be sure to familiarize yourself with local state gun laws if you plan to carry (especially in CA).

• Like 2

I agree guys, with that said its just more time to prepare. What's the lengthiest time you guys try to stay out there hunting at those times your feeling more froggy and what would you pack for said trip.  I'm conflicted on a hydration topic as well, some examples says sip water throughout while on another says drinks tons of water, as a landscaper always working in heat during the summer I feel like sipping is best anyways because you don't feel bloated from drinking a bunch of water and then peeing all the time, since I never been in Arizona climate I really want to try to nail the hydration part from the beginning.

Use only glass or stainless steel containers when out in the desert. Half teaspoon of raw vinegar and molasses with a couple drops of peppermint spirit, per quart.

Do most my prospecting in the summer months in the southwest desert, black wool hat, dark color clothes and gloves for holding your moisture in which keeps one cool. My kids and I have spent months living in the desert in the summer months.

• Like 3

Yup, I cover head to toe with loose fitting clothing even when hunting rocks in 110°+ temps.  Rocky, what will get you out here is how dry it is compared to your heat, it's a totally different experience.  Mix in a little wind and you'll dehydrate in no time.  I carry 3 liters (with several liters reserve in the vehicle) and drink often, if you wait 'til you're thirsty you've waited too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rocky I'm a Ct. Yankee born there, been out Az. since 05. Was in So. Cal an South Fl.  for years.
Wait like Solomon said till weather turns late Oct. Nov. Its still hot but only 1 burner that time of year.:ROFL:

• Like 2

Thanks for all the great input guys this has been great helpful info!!!I heard wool Is great in the heat for moisture and cool control. I heard Duluth make excellent wool socks and can imaging they have a whole line of products to go with it.

On 7/10/2017 at 7:29 PM, Rocky said:

Okay guys an gals my wife asked me the other day if I still had plans to head out west with my father for a special trip in the desert...

I think you need to define this first trip a little better so you can get better & more specific replies.. So far the only key words I can make out are "tall whites" & "meteorites" and not only don't I see a connection but I'm also not exactly sure I really know what you mean by "tall whites" nor where they may be located.. Oh yeah, another key word / phrase: special trip to the desert with my dad..

So:
Is this going to be a father / son trip..? How much total time do you have to be gone..? Are there any points-of-interest between Cape Cod and primary destination you'd like to see along the way without those needing to be a trip of their own..? Besides wanting to see the "tall pines" (please confirm what these are & where they are, thanks) is this otherwise a for-real meteorite hunting trip or is it a 'let's go discover the desert southwest for a week or two and maybe hunt for meteorites if the opportunity arises' kind of thing..? Is there any personal equipment you are planning on bringing along (ex: metal detectors; side arms..?) How many hunting locations are you wanting to hit in the time you have available and where are they located..?

The above will go a long way toward helping those with knowledge give you good information..

My immediate first take on a couple things is: Since you even mentioned flying as an option I assume there will be no camping -- unless one of your rental vehicle options is a camper of some sort..? I'm still going with no camping though, at least as an initial thought on your part..

Also, from what you (haven't) said thusfar I further assume you do not have a primary meteorite fall location chosen.. If I've read this correctly would it also be correct to say you have no detectors either..?

I am just trying to help here, not bust cojones.. It is easy enough to get outfitted, and renting prior to purchasing makes perfect sense when still in the discovery stage of determining if an activity is for one or not.. Addressing these matters now will make for a much smoother-flowing and enjoyable adventure as opposed to first dealing with these situations while on vacay time..

Swamp

PS: Spring trips can be just as good as fall trips.. Both have advantages / disadvantages, especially if/when driving x-country..

EDIT: Wow..! Don't check a forum for a few days n ya miss all kinds a new passengers.. Welcome to the forum..! Still, I think everything here continues to hold true, except the not having a detector possibly.. Lay some info out about yer plans n let the peeps who've been at/to the sites lay it on ya..

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Millennia Hospitality- a book having Tall Whites referenced...a type of space alien, apparently.

While I am open minded I don't like getting jerked around by alien hunters...if that is your main interest please say so...

if you are sincere about hunting meteorites I would be happy to help...

fred

• Like 1

Hi Fred,

I'll answer you first because it's a shorter simpler answer. I briefly discussed with my father after reading that book that we should go to see these guys for ourselves mostly to entertain the though with my father because he is a believer in the whole story and it was a idea as a father son trip at first that I spoke to my wife about leaving out the alien part LOL. I mentioned this in the topic in the sense of satire because this was a actually conversation I had with my father and I wanted to see if any of you could relate to see if this a norm for us meteorite lover type crowd. My father, while I'd gladly take a trip with him for fun and exploration is not fit for meteorite hunting. So to answer if this is a trip for exploration/alien hunters this is not my interest. My interest if I take this trip will be strictly for meteorite hunting, let's face it when put in the situation of meteorite hunting the territories landscape is a bonus of the hunt . I'm sincere for the hunt and that is my only intention.:thumbsupanim

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Millennia Hospitality- a book having Tall Whites referenced...a type of space alien, apparently.

While I am open minded I don't like getting jerked around by alien hunters...if that is your main interest please say so...

if you are sincere about hunting meteorites I would be happy to help...

fred

I'm not a alien hunter, another simpler answer LOL. Only for my Dad LOL, I Love the guy, he raised me good enough.

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I'm not a alien hunter, another simpler answer LOL. Only for my Dad LOL, I Love the guy, he raised me good enough.

If you do encounter an alien while meteorite hunting it, he, or she would most likely be from our southern border. Just sayin'

• Like 3

No Worries, Rocky, I am the type that likes things true and clear. Good on you for loving and respecting your Dad!

There are from time to time some very interesting people that come to the forum, so , I had to ask where your "head" is...

Going back to Swamp's comments....if you can focus your interests you will get sharpshooter advise rather than shotgun advise...

best wishes

fred

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I think you need to define this first trip a little better so you can get better & more specific replies.. So far the only key words I can make out are "tall whites" & "meteorites" and not only don't I see a connection but I'm also not exactly sure I really know what you mean by "tall whites" nor where they may be located.. Oh yeah, another key word / phrase: special trip to the desert with my dad..

So:
Is this going to be a father / son trip..? How much total time do you have to be gone..? Are there any points-of-interest between Cape Cod and primary destination you'd like to see along the way without those needing to be a trip of their own..? Besides wanting to see the "tall pines" (please confirm what these are & where they are, thanks) is this otherwise a for-real meteorite hunting trip or is it a 'let's go discover the desert southwest for a week or two and maybe hunt for meteorites if the opportunity arises' kind of thing..? Is there any personal equipment you are planning on bringing along (ex: metal detectors; side arms..?) How many hunting locations are you wanting to hit in the time you have available and where are they located..?

The above will go a long way toward helping those with knowledge give you good information..

My immediate first take on a couple things is: Since you even mentioned flying as an option I assume there will be no camping -- unless one of your rental vehicle options is a camper of some sort..? I'm still going with no camping though, at least as an initial thought on your part..

Also, from what you (haven't) said thusfar I further assume you do not have a primary meteorite fall location chosen.. If I've read this correctly would it also be correct to say you have no detectors either..?

I am just trying to help here, not bust cojones.. It is easy enough to get outfitted, and renting prior to purchasing makes perfect sense when still in the discovery stage of determining if an activity is for one or not.. Addressing these matters now will make for a much smoother-flowing and enjoyable adventure as opposed to first dealing with these situations while on vacay time..

Swamp

PS: Spring trips can be just as good as fall trips.. Both have advantages / disadvantages, especially if/when driving x-country..

EDIT: Wow..! Don't check a forum for a few days n ya miss all kinds a new passengers.. Welcome to the forum..! Still, I think everything here continues to hold true, except the not having a detector possibly.. Lay some info out about yer plans n let the peeps who've been at/to the sites lay it on ya..

Hi Swamp, 

Thanks for the warm welcome and pointers and I appreciate it big time for the sake of leading me in the optimal direction. This will strictly be a meteorite hunting trip and you can disregard the part about tall whites (aliens) it's not a serious part of the topic.

This trip will not be a father and son trip, it is a solo/maybe with someone with similar interest meteorite hunting if interested. I'm trying to acquire a solid list of suggested equipment needs/suggestions/possible a co-hunter for the intended destination. So far as Bill stated he would stear me in the direction or meteorites given I choose to go to AZ and because I've always wanted to go to AZ to begin with I'm choosing AZ with out a particular strewn feild chosen yet. 

Location.                                             -Arizona (haven't chosen exactly pending suggestions)

Meteorite Type.                                        Chondrites preferably because I don't have a good detector for irons and for first hunt I don't want to go with a detector. (visual hunt only for first trip, I want to feel the environment, not swing or carry detector all day)

Equipment I plan to bring. Excluding the details of clothing and food/water.

-pick, rare earth magnet stick, backpack, Cellphone for (GPS, emergency calls, camera), baggies, file, 220 grit sand paper, magnify loop, compass, Atlas, map, so far plain and simple.

Time table.                                      -Five Days, Fall.

Transportation means.                   - preferably cross country in my jeep non-stop w/bathroom trips and dinner out, sleep in jeep. Maybe airline with truck rental if it's a cheaper option and better time table.

Camping.                                        -Optional pending whether I can carry a side arm or not over in AZ. If I can't it will be a hotel local to close proximity to chosen strewn field or hot spot.

Is this a thing for me.                     -short answer yes.                             -long but short answer when you have a feeling in your soul and not a shred of doubt in every fiber of your being that you want to be in a place in your own head in the middle of a furnace searching for answers and what interests you  most and what you love and know you can handle, I trust myself and truly know my limits because of the experience I've had already in life. Not a single shread of doubt I would go to death Vally without reservation because I know my preparations will be my safety, sanity and salvation in these environments.

EDIT: I'm not going to deny it, I read through this and changed the delivery of a few things because I got carried away. I love to write please forgive me and re-read the ending if it was too spotty before sorry guys.

Edited by Rocky
  • Like 3

Swamp,

If this is not specific enough I understand, before I can provide further detail...exact date or location, I'd appreciate suggestions from you guys for location decision and have to discuss the plans with my wife for the exact date.

If I'm misinterpreting some of the information you would like me to provide let me know so I can be more specific.

Thank you,

Sincerely