Nugget Shooter Forums

4500 or 5000 ?

adam

I've had the opportunity to operate both, and my 5000 seems to be a more stable machine. And as Bill stated, the fine gold function is really nice. It's amazing on small gold and specimen gold. Just my opinion though. I know guys that kick butt with a 4500.

• Like 6

I've been using the 4500 I purchased second hand from a fellow forum member....Grubstake... I believe it s one  of the older low serial numbered ones. I like it because I understand how she speaks to me when she's over targets. I have never used a 5000 so I can't say much about which is best as I am sure they have their pros and cons. I have multiple coils from the  n.f. sadie to a couple Detech ones. I have found some small nuggets...range of .12 grams and higher...this satisfies my needs. Off the subject, I was out with a friends sdc 2300 and I was impressed  :ROFL: with its ability to sniff out tiny, tiny gold in patches that have been cleaned up....pretty impressive detector and definitely has a place for certain type of hunting.  Back to the 4500 , a few years back dug out a 15 grammer 24 inches down using a 20 n.f. coil....now that's impressive.

• Like 4

5K for sure ... however if you already have the 4500 and like it I would stick with it. I have both(use the %K more than the 4500) ...plus I have the 7000 but that is another story for another day... and back them both up with a 2300 just to make sure I have as much as I can out of a patch. Now maybe will have to have the GM1000 based on my personal testing when I get back to AZ and start working with Bill S.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Relichunter2016 said:

I've been using the 4500 I purchased second hand from a fellow forum member....Grubstake... I believe it s one  of the older low serial numbered ones. I like it because I understand how she speaks to me when she's over targets. I have never used a 5000 so I can't say much about which is best as I am sure they have their pros and cons. I have multiple coils from the  n.f. sadie to a couple Detech ones. I have found some small nuggets...range of .12 grams and higher...this satisfies my needs. Off the subject, I was out with a friends sdc 2300 and I was impressed  :ROFL: with its ability to sniff out tiny, tiny gold in patches that have been cleaned up....pretty impressive detector and definitely has a place for certain type of hunting.  Back to the 4500 , a few years back dug out a 15 grammer 24 inches down using a 20 n.f. coil....now that's impressive.

Wow , Even when I specifically said "We are not talking about coils here, just the detector." and only wanted opinions between the 4500 and the 5000.......

59 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

5K for sure ... however if you already have the 4500 and like it I would stick with it. I have both(use the %K more than the 4500) ...

Thanks Mike but you could have cut off your statement right there as I quoted you above. I dont have any interest in the 2300, nor was I asking about the GPZ.

I was pretty clear.. 

10 minutes ago, adam said:

Wow , Even when I specifically said "We are not talking about coils here, just the detector." and only wanted opinions between the 4500 and the 5000.......

Thanks Mike but you could have cut off your statement right there as I quoted you above. I dont have any interest in the 2300, nor was I asking about the GPZ.

I was pretty clear.. 

darn Adam, show a bit of respect man!!!!! The correct response to people that take time to help you is usually "thank you" not smart condescending comments like you wrote... have some respect for people, they're not here to serve you!!!

:stupidrb:

Edited by Guest

Wow Adam. All these great responses and you reply like that. Whatever dude.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Wow Adam. All these great responses and you reply like that. Whatever dude.

Your response , H2charlies, and Bills  was the type of response I was looking for , and it is appreciated.

Sorry but what I dont need ( and its very common  ) is folks getting off topic, and giving to much information, especially when the question was so clear. I have no concerns what peoples back up detectors are, nor what coils they are using . 

I understand that. But it didn't hurt anything did it? Come on man, all's good.

• Like 3

I found a LOT of gold with the 4500, way more than the 5000 but my kids have taken more of my time since I got the 5000 and I hardly get out anymore.

My 4500 had a more erratic and unstable threshold, but if you use it a lot and get to know it, it will sing to you! You get used to the unstable threshold. I had one of the first 4500's and always wondered if it was supposed to be like that, but dang I was finding a lot of gold.

The 5000 found a piece of gold in a spot that had been hammered by me with the 4500 many, many, many times. I found the piece with the same coil I used in the 4500. A 14" elliptical Coiltek. As you know many things can factor into why you hear a target now and didn't before, but I am 100% sure I found a target with the 5000 and the 4500 missed it. It was a 2+ ounce piece of leaf gold that I wrote about in the ICMJ several years back.

I didn't find a bunch of gold with the 5000 that I missed with the 4500 in patches I worked except the big nugget. If I had a choice, it would be the 5000 because it is more stable, but if you have a chance to get a steal on a 4500 take it.

• Like 4

I do very well with the 4500. I think it all boils down to $. You will pay quite a bit more for an extra timing (fine gold) on the 5K. What the others said is true though...5K is more stable. I feel that the 4500 is a better value if comparing both machines bought as new.

Dean

• Like 2

Adam you have issues.....get some help.:arrowheadsmiley:...all those responses including mine were on point. Take what you can from each one and disregard the off topic points. You surely don't have to be rude about it. Perhaps its been a bad year for gold for you......I get it.....You have been on this forum for years and you know what to expect from our motley  crew....when you ask questions. Chill out.....

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Like 3

I currently have 4 detectors...My 4500, SD2100 (original green box), GMT, and GB2 ...  I've found lots of gold with all of them... Love them all and feel no compunction to replace them or add to my collection... I have grain- with each... Low & slow gets the gold and the detector is almost secondary to that...Cheers, Unc

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, adam said:

Thanks for the feedback so far .....Its value is worth considering

I think you would like either machine Adam.

10 hours ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Perhaps its been a bad year for gold for you...

Thats funny, you must not use Youtube.

I can understand adams reaction, just the other day I was talking to my assistant at work how nobody in the company thoroughly reads emails and redundantely answer questions because of that. I also recently started selling on ebay and boy do people not read listings complete. But in this case a little extra info doesnt hurt anybody and might actually indirectly help another reader.

• Like 4

To throw money it again, I found a used 5000 for the price of a new 4500.  I went with the 5000.  Although 've never used a 4500, I honestly can't see why anyone would not choose the 5000 over the 4500 if money were not a factor.

Did ML correct "known issues" with the 4500 prior to its re-introduction..?

If so, I don't believe a fair comparison can be made until one person with mad skillz puts
both the 'new' 4500 & 5K through their paces and posts an evaluation..

If zero tweaks were done then what's known is what it is and comes down to price..

As Chrisski said: If money's no object... But at the retail price difference, money is an
object -- which means there are still plenty of folks who are willing to live with the
couple slight 'downsides' of the 4500 for the fairly significant $$s savings..

Swamp

• Like 3

When I bought my 5k I wondered the same thing, It was about the same price for a used 5k or new 4500 at the time.  I went with the 5k because I was afraid if I didn't I'd always with i had.  The fine gold timing is very popular, talk to aj about it.  He's very successful with his 5k and knows the fine gold timing well.

• Like 3