Nugget Shooter Forums

GPZ 7000 Hardware Upgrade

Minelab GPZ 7000 Software Update 2 - Now Available!!
Get increased performance from your GPZ 7000 detector.

This FREE update incorporates a new Ground Smoothing function, a Semi-Auto ground balance setting and Chinese/Mongolian language options: http://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices?article=313853

Read how this update provides some extra settings to help deal with problematic soils, especially conductive soil in our latest treasure talk: http://www.minelab.com/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/gpz-7000-ground-smoothing-options-software-update-2

19601274_1681677878539089_4189578585399314044_n.jpg

gotta test it on that nasty grey basalt we were just talking about  .. LOL.  Thanks Bill.

12 hours ago, adam said:

Will the software update work on my SD2200 ?

You just have wire in a usb port to your sd and use a jump drive, easy. So what if the sd is analog. It will work,just solder the leads to any part of the board, if you fry your beeper you did it wrong. I accepct to liability if you do it wrong. If you do it right you now have a GPZ2200V2.

• Like 2

GPZ 7000 Firmware Installation Procedure (PC or Mac)

Thank you Steve Herschbach for the write up!

1. Download the desired firmware version from the GPZ 7000 Downloads Page. You can update your GPZ to the latest version or roll back to any prior version using this method. IMPORTANT: Ensure your battery is fully charged before updating. Do not turn the detector off at any point during the update process, or the update will not be applied.

2. Connect GPZ 7000 to the computer via the USB cable. A drive called ‘Minelab’ will appear.

gpz-7000-update-drive-image.jpg

3. Transfer the software update file. Open the ‘Minelab’ drive, then copy the software update file into it. The update files end with the extension ".ml3" - anything else is the wrong file. Wait for the file to completely transfer.

4. Disconnect the GPZ 7000 from the computer by ejecting the drive and then unplugging the USB cable. The ‘USB Disconnected’ dialog will be displayed on the GPZ 7000 screen. This can take up to 2 minutes to complete.

gpz-7000-update-usb-disconnected.jpg

5. Upgrade the GPZ 7000 firmware. At this point if the update file was properly transferred to the GPZ, the following dialog is displayed:

gpz-7000-update-upgrade-firmware.jpg

6. Select Upgrade to begin the firmware update. A progress bar will be displayed. If you select Cancel, the software update file you downloaded will be automatically deleted. You will need to download the update again (from step 1) to complete the process. If the Low Battery dialog is displayed, charge your battery and start the update process again.

gpz-7000-update-upgrading-firmware-progress.jpg

7. Upgrade complete. When the upgrade is complete, GPZ 7000 will automatically turn off. When you power on again, the detector will start with the new firmware.

8. Upgrade failure. If you experience any trouble applying the update, try following the update steps again from start to finish. If this does not work, contact your dealer or a Minelab Service Center.

9. You can also check your detector’s software information at any time via the Version Information function on the Reset page.

GPZ 7000 Firmware June 2017 (Second Update GPZ 7000 Firmware June 2017 (20170630).ml3 - Version Information will display 1.10.8-2052) (11.26 MB)

GPZ 7000 Firmware October 2015 (First Update GPZ_7000_UPDATE_IMAGE_20151009.ml3 - Version Information will display 1.2.8-98) (9.69 MB) 

GPZ 7000 Firmware January 2015 (Original Release GPZ_7000_UPDATE_IMAGE_20150130.ml3 - Version Information will display 1.0.8-57) (10.63 MB)

OHMYGAWD!!!! This is exactly what I was having frustrations with (and demo'd in my video samples). The side to side groaning made the machine unusable.

This is great news.... If this fixes my issue, I may have to let Zeddie sit up front with GPX and I :thumbsupanim

I'm looking forward to trying it out, thanks Steve and Bill.

PS: is the Zed USB cable a standard USB cable? I'm in the middle of an interstate move so my Z box is in storage, will any one (that has the right connectors) work?

(After reading the PDF I'm not quite sure what they mean by the difference between the ferrite tracking vs ground tracking but time in the field will figure it out I guess). 

Thanks again.

Jen

IMG_2344.PNG

Edited by Guest

Jennifer,

The USB cable for the Zed is different than the USB cable for the 3030.  You can't use the 3030 cable with the Zed even tho the ends plug in properly.

Both of them have one different end that makes it different from a USB to USB connection.  Find the cable that came with the Zed.

Mitchel

9 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Jennifer,

The USB cable for the Zed is different than the USB cable for the 3030.  You can't use the 3030 cable with the Zed even tho the ends plug in properly.

Both of them have one different end that makes it different from a USB to USB connection.  Find the cable that came with the Zed.

Mitchel

Thank you Mitchel

Jen

3 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

The GPZ 7000 cord looks the same as the standard printer type of cord.... Or pretty close.

Bill,

I never realized that the end of a printer cable is the same end that fits into the 3030 and Zed.

I know the other night I grabbed a cable to do the update and it said 'USB Unsupported' and I wondered ... then I remembered.  I went to my bag of cables and got the other Minelab cable and voila.  It then let me copy and paste the update file.  There must be some different pin configuration.  I don't know if my standard printer cable would be the same.

Mitchel

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Bill,

I never realized that the end of a printer cable is the same end that fits into the 3030 and Zed.

I know the other night I grabbed a cable to do the update and it said 'USB Unsupported' and I wondered ... then I remembered.  I went to my bag of cables and got the other Minelab cable and voila.  It then let me copy and paste the update file.  There must be some different pin configuration.  I don't know if my standard printer cable would be the same.

Mitchel

Just tried it and plugs in just fine, going to use it to upgrade the used on I have for sale in the shop in a few.

OK Mitchel and JJ and the rest I just used the standard cord for most printers with USB port and Printer port and did an upgrade on a 7000 with no issues, this now makes me wonder why the 3030 cord did not work correctly. Same cord correct? And after downloading you do have to safely eject the USB connection before the upgrade on 7000 will happen and do not shut the detector off, takes a couple minutes to complete and detector will need to be reset as if new because it is.....

16 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

OK Mitchel and JJ and the rest I just used the standard cord for most printers with USB port and Printer port and did an upgrade on a 7000 with no issues, this now makes me wonder why the 3030 cord did not work correctly. Same cord correct? And after downloading you do have to safely eject the USB connection before the upgrade on 7000 will happen and do not shut the detector off, takes a couple minutes to complete and detector will need to be reset as if new because it is.....

What do you mean about "safely eject" the USB connection????  Do you mean: just pull it out???

No down on the right in your startup menu there is a box you can open showing open programs, after the file has loaded onto the detector leave the 7000 on and there will be a safely remove hardware  icon in the startup menue, click it, then Minelab and it will say "safe to remove hardware" unplug and update will start on 7000 screen. Helps to turn your backlight to "on" so you can watch, the detector will shut off when done.

You can also right click on the drive icon in Windows explorer and select "Eject"

Here are a couple links:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/192211en

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+safely+eject+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#newwindow=1&q=how+to+safely+eject+usb

Upgraded mine this morning, using the original Minelab cable (but thanks for checking Bill re a printer cable, good to know).

Update went fine, Mac OS didn't recognise the detector but it's probably the very old version of OSX I'm running, was a simple fix, just started up an instance of VMWare running Windows XP, copied the file over and went great.

Jen

Edited by Guest