Nugget Shooter Forums

I can work Basalt strewn patches finally!

I was out puttering around with the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 again this weekend and discovered a wonderful ability this VLF beeper has that I have been wanting for years, it will work Basalt patches very well when in Discrimination mode! There is a certain area out at LSD that is on a RR claim and has produced many nuggets to myself and some good friends, but we have always struggled with the super hot grey Basalt in this patch. The GM1000 will work the area and almost completely ignore the Basalt again in discrimination mode, in all metal it is once again a problem as on all other detectors I have tried here.

This detector is a very welcome addition to my detecting tool box!

• Like 4

That's good to know, Bill.  I also have issues in a gold area of LSD with the hot grey basalt.  GPZ will not ground balance these hot rocks in any mode.  Interesting that the Gold Monster chews it up.   Maybe Minelab will cover this in the future GPZ software upgrades ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andyy said:

That's good to know, Bill.  I also have issues in a gold area of LSD with the hot grey basalt.  GPZ will not ground balance these hot rocks in any mode.  Interesting that the Gold Monster chews it up.   Maybe Minelab will cover this in the future GPZ software upgrades ...

Without knowing the first thing about Zed, as long as there's room in memory I don't see why they wouldn't, or at the very least shouldn't.. It's their flagship detector and the basic code is already written; it 'simply' needs tweaked for the Z..

Swamp

8 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

I was out puttering around with the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 again this weekend and discovered a wonderful ability this VLF beeper has that I have been wanting for years, it will work Basalt patches very well when in Discrimination mode! There is a certain area out at LSD that is on a RR claim and has produced many nuggets to myself and some good friends, but we have always struggled with the super hot grey Basalt in this patch. The GM1000 will work the area and almost completely ignore the Basalt again in discrimination mode, in all metal it is once again a problem as on all other detectors I have tried here.

There's a couple areas out at Red Basin that should produce if that machine quietens down the hot rocks there that sound just like nuggets...It even sounds on the GB2 in disc mode...I've hunted many times with the GB2 and the SD2100 and it is a nightmare...Gold has come from all around the area but the hot rocks do the same zip zip as gold....Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Ron said:

There's a couple areas out at Red Basin that should produce if that machine quietens down the hot rocks there that sound just like nuggets...It even sounds on the GB2 in disc mode...I've hunted many times with the GB2 and the SD2100 and it is a nightmare...Gold has come from all around the area but the hot rocks do the same zip zip as gold....Cheers, Unc

Let's go Unc.... 

• Like 1

Would love to Bill but I'm just too crippled up to do it...Haven't been out in 2-1/2 years ... But I will pm you coordinates and I'll try to get a screen capture of the gulch ... Cheers, Unc

1 minute ago, Uncle Ron said:

Would love to Bill but I'm just too crippled up to do it...Haven't been out in 2-1/2 years ... But I will pm you coordinates and I'll try to get a screen capture of the gulch ... Cheers, Unc

That will work and will share any finds my friend..... 50-50 sound fair if ya left anything?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill Southern said:

That will work and will share any finds my friend..... 50-50 sound fair if ya left anything?

Come on Unc,    Bill can hold onto you on one side, and I will hold onto you on the other,---You just do the swinging..........   I'd like to tag along as well, and I'll do a split.  Gary

That's OK Bill ... No share required....I have hunted it with most every Goldmaster (2, VSAT, 3 & GMT) plus the 2100 and GB2 ... I have never taken the  4500 there  but the others all found excellent gold in the general vicinity but only at the very top few feet where it is between Mill Wash and the road ... Good luck.. Cheers, Unc

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

I know exactly what spot your talking about its basalt hell :evil1:-Well did you find any gold :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

Not replacing my "big guns" but this new tech VLF has my respect for sure Mike C. Took only a few minutes to understand what it was saying and bam, what a fun beeper. Also even the mighty 7000 struggles with basalt like all other beepers, but wait? What happened? kudos to Minelab once again

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fishing8046 said:

I hope this does not come across as disrespectful but pictures of the area and the gold or it didn't happen

:ROFL: Jake 2 if you are a roadrunner member....... 

• Like 2

Hope you enjoy rock soccer, because that's what you're going to be doing with the basalt .. LOL

No so Andyy the GM 1000 when in discriminate ignores basalt for the most part and it is the first detector VLF or PI that has been able to do that for me. I can even put a small nugget under a chunk of basalt and hear it just fine....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Southern said:

...the GM 1000 when in discriminate ignores basalt for the most part and it is the first detector VLF or PI that has been able to do that for me. I can even put a small nugget under a chunk of basalt and hear it just fine....

Herein lays the greatest benefit of Moore's Law to metal detectors / detecting / detectorists..

With the doubling of memory storage capacity / capability every 18 - 24 mos, along with the continually shrinking size & cost of the hardware, it is now not that big a deal to write & add into memory machine-specific code for helping each ignore specific minerals / conglomerates within specified instruction parameters.. However, to do so effectively means writing code for the multitude of conditions under which one may encounter a specific type of 'hot rock', not simply attempting global negation within the confines of one instruction set.. This isn't to say the latter can't be done; just saying if it's going to be done at all it may as well be done correctly from the start.. It's much easier working on / tweaking / fixing specific sections of linked well-written code than it is trying to troubleshoot a jumbled ball of mis-matched wire & de-stabilizers..

Since MineLab has already put in the time and expense of development for an entry-level price-wise but in all other ways cutting-edge advanced detector, I simply cannot forsee this tec not being passed up the chain to its flagship model via update / upgrade..

Swamp

Part of the problem, or the problem is that Pulse Induction and now Zero Volt Transmission technology behaves much differently that a VLF detector and according to Bruce Candy in this lies the problem of putting a dependable discrimination circuit into a PI or ZVT detector other than the breaking signal type as on the GPX and GP series. Although I am sure this is being worked on and hope to see it one day I think it may yet be a spell, but with Minelab you never know as they are always working to give us better tools.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

No so Andyy the GM 1000 when in discriminate ignores basalt for the most part and it is the first detector VLF or PI that has been able to do that for me. I can even put a small nugget under a chunk of basalt and hear it just fine....

Well then there are going to be more than a few areas to go back to with the GM 1000 near the LSD. 

Maybe you can send Bruce Candy some samples of the Kryptonite basalt, so he can do testing with it, as well.  :4chsmu1:  (joking)

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 1

Bill,

Will the new software for the 7000 make those basalts disappear?

Second ... You said that Kevin had a way to make a threshold for the Monster.  How does he do it?

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403

Have not tried it yet Mitchel after installing the new firmware, but always hopeful.... The 1000 most certainly does in discriminate and for the 7000 it would have to be a whole different ball game and one of the reasons you do not see the same on PI and ZVT technology..... Yet.

I said before I had used one that Kevin and I were told there was a way by messing with the sensitivity, but now that I have one it is not doable as far as I can tell, but I am comfortable without it with the microprocessor and other new technology in the GM 1000 and kind of like it even though it took some getting used to. After trying test targets then finding gold with the 1000 I am very comfortable with it's abilities.

• Like 1

I'll have one tomorrow.  I'm making a bonsai run to Morristown and back to Havasu.

My 5000 is getting too heavy for this old fart to swing all day.  It seems like it has gained weight thru the years just like me!

Patrick

• Like 4