Nugget Shooter Forums

11" Double D Commander vs. 11" Mono Commander Coils

chrisski

Just to be sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Trying to learn my GPX.  I have an 11" Mono and an 11" Double D coils.  Nearly all detecting is done on washes anywhere from 2' wide to 12' wide.  I do go up the smaller feeder creeks also.

So far I've just used the mono.  I am detecting out at the San Domingo area, and I am getting some hot rocks that are setting the PI off with the mono coil.  These also show up on the pinpointer.  I did crush and pan a sample, but nothing but red dirt and a little bit of black sand.

Next time out, I will switch to the Double D.  Looks like the Double D detection pattern is straight down in the direction the detector is pointed in, which is different from the mono, which is more like a cone.  To me it looks like the Double D coil will detect mostly straight down from the center, so I will lose the left and right few inches of my coil, but the Double D will provide less false targets in hot ground.  Also, looks like if I decide to use the iron discrimination, it will work on Double D, but at the sacrifice of some iron stained gold.  The Mono won't allow iron discrimination.

So far what I've found is a couple hundred pieces of junk from rust flakes to nails to boot tacks to shell casings to bullets, but no gold.

wER8a2oGErMlQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Edited by chrisski

I run my monos in enhanced mode, really helps with those pesky hot rocks. Double D coil in Normal mode for depth....and 6 on disc....in extreme trash washes like yours.....both coils are great , just depends on the soil, and how trashy it is....after a while trashy areas with a mono will get to you....hope it helps. I find the 11" Commander coil extremely capable coil....if you set the coil to the ground yoru hunting.

Edited by Relichunter2016

This is just my experience and others may disagree. Don't expect a DD will ignore those pesky hot rocks any better than a Mono. For a couple years I used a DD on and off and never found any advantage over a Mono other than discrimination and cancel mode for interference.  I haven't run a DD in several years because they have proven for me to be inferior in the AZ desert and I never run in discrimination. I am much more skilled and confident in the target responses and false signals of a Mono coil. Don't expect because you run a GPX it will always purr like a kitten. Once you learn all the hot rocks and heavy black sand noise in your area you may choose to ignore some of these sounds. Until then like the rest of us you should be scratching and digging all the signals you encounter.

AJ

Edited by Buckeye Boy
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Buckeye Boy said:

This is just my experience and others may disagree. Don't expect a DD will ignore those pesky hot rocks any better than a Mono. For a couple years I used a DD on and off and never found any advantage over a Mono other than discrimination and cancel mode for interference.  I haven't run a DD in several years because they have proven for me to be inferior in the AZ desert and I never run in discrimination. I am much more skilled and confident in the target responses and false signals of a Mono coil. Don't expect because you run a GPX it will always purr like a kitten. Once you learn all the hot rocks and heavy black sand noise in your area you may choose to ignore some of these sounds. Until then like the rest of us you should be scratching and digging all the signals you encounter.

AJ

Well said, AJ.

I have been successful under or near power lines with the DD. If you are hunting areas of high trash and relying on the DD with disc you will find that it is a exercise in frustration. Much better to use a VLF with excellent disc capabilities in those areas, IMHO. Find gold bearing areas with less trash and use a mono in Enhance to help mitigate hot rocks, etc. DD coils certainly have their place and should be included in everyone's arsenal. The time to use a DD is when you literally can't use a mono due to high EMI or severe mineralization.

Dean

11 hours ago, frank c said:

What your photo illustration is NOT showing is that the mono when properly tuned and balanced will detect deeper than the DD.

Your photo also does not show the full cone.  What I mean is the full cone above, below and several inches away from the coil.  If you are swinging an 11" coil test how close you can come to a target without putting the cone over it.  I can hear an aluminum can 6" before I get to it.  You can hear grammers and hot rocks off the coil also.  When I hear the break I'm like a month to a flame ... I have to swing toward the target to get it UNDER the coil.

If the target is deep then I will only hear it under the coil.

Mitchel

I appreciate the replies.

I will stick to the mono for the majority of the time I'm out next.  I may pull the Double D out in certain hot areas.

After reading the manual and watching the video, I realize I had not been setting the ground balance the right way.  I would auto tune, and then press the quick track button, move the detector up and down until the sound was steady.  I guess I'm supposed to go to ground balance--> tracking after I auto tune, and then move it up and down until steady, and then back to fixed.  I get the impression from the manual that quick track is a way to fine tune tracking throughout the day.

I do have the GPX 5000. 

I have kicked around going through the Soil / Timings --> Special  --> Fine gold.  I may try that next time.

The rock I've been having trouble with is the red type bedrock around the santa domingo that looks like would have promise for those thinking the gold comes from this dirty red ore.  There's pieces of it that that give a signal to both my GPX 5000 and the minelab pro-find pin pointer.  When this ore is touching the pinponter it does not give a solid signal like a coin would, but gives the quick beeping like a target is a quarter inch away.  I've crushed this ore and panned it hoping to find some gold, but nothing.

This bedrock is spread across the bottom of a wash of a particular claim I go to, and there's patches of it, maybe every 50 meters or so, that are hot.  Once I start digging this bedrock, I get all excited like it's a target, especially once the pin pointer goes off.  Makes me think I'm coming up on a nugget in that particular crack in the bedrock, but turns out it's this type of hot rock.

I know some people with a 5000 and they hunt in Fine Gold only.  They never change.

Some others liked to bump up the sensitivity and go to Sensitive Extra.  I do think the Specials is the place to be.

I suspect that if you had gone over gold so far you would have found it no matter what settings you are on except some of the gold could have been too small.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Try Special/fine gold-Custom/high mineral for some of the nasty stuff. Keep the gain just under the factory preset. This works extremely will on hot shallow bedrock. You will still hear the ground but signal response on the tiny stuff is loud and clear. The downfall with this setting is you loose a lot of depth.

AJ

3 hours ago, chrisski said:

I do have the GPX 5000. 

I have kicked around going through the Soil / Timings --> Special  --> Fine gold.  I may try that next time.

The rock I've been having trouble with is the red type bedrock around the santa domingo that looks like would have promise for those thinking the gold comes from this dirty red ore.  There's pieces of it that that give a signal to both my GPX 5000 and the minelab pro-find pin pointer.  When this ore is touching the pinponter it does not give a solid signal like a coin would, but gives the quick beeping like a target is a quarter inch away.  I've crushed this ore and panned it hoping to find some gold, but nothing.

This bedrock is spread across the bottom of a wash of a particular claim I go to, and there's patches of it, maybe every 50 meters or so, that are hot.  Once I start digging this bedrock, I get all excited like it's a target, especially once the pin pointer goes off.  Makes me think I'm coming up on a nugget in that particular crack in the bedrock, but turns out it's this type of hot rock.

Chris:

Another tip. You dont have to auto-tune every time the machine gets a little wonky from EMI. Just go to manual tune and move it a couple of numbers till its quite. Saves time if your having a lot of EMI on a particular day.
Tom H.

• Like 3

I personally would never run below presets theres other ways to dumb it up if needed-thats the thing about the Gpx series very versatle  :nutty: For me its Balls to the walls and mono's all the way :arrowheadsmiley: Ive had really good results depth wise and sensitivity wise with the fine gold setting and a few other tweaks-to each their own :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 1

I've never run across an area at Lsd that I felt I needed to run discriminate, fine gold with a little lower gain will make it easy to differentiate the hot ground from a target, with a little practice you'll be able to tell the difference in the sound even when running hotter settings. I too spent a while chipping at that red soft rock,  just keep at it and get over a few targets before you give up on running settings that will give you maximum sensitivity for the ground you're in.  The dd coils do run smooth but if you're sacrificing sensitivity on small gold it will be a handicap in areas like that where the big ones are mostly gone and getting good depth on small gold is your best shot at getting over one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you *do* use the DD, I'll just state the obvious and say to make sure you approach the side of the wash perpendicular or you won't be detecting the edges.  This took a conscious effort on my part when I used the DD.