Nugget Shooter Forums

San Domingo "No Trespassing"

HI ALL,

Goes to show you how long its been since I've been out... I took the family Friday night looking for florescent minerals and when I turned off the main road the first thing I saw was " No Trespassing", What gives?

Also by surprise an old friend of mine told me they used to catch large desert scorpions (not black). I never really believed him until I was out there! WHOA!! We saw at least a half dozen that were at least 6+ inches long. Big suckers man! 

Thanks

• Like 1

Was that the "State Trust Land" sign off of Castle Hot Springs road?

Most of the land right there by the main road is State Trust land. They started posting it last year. They have been spreading that big red pile on Castle Hot Springs rd to fill in the low spots. Makes a flippin mess. The cactus are all stained red from all the dust 100' on each side of the road. 

The big red pile I'm thinking of has been posted no trespassing for a while, but access is still off of Mine Road, a couple hundred meters after that, still posted for state trust land.  I've never seen anyone checking permits.

Permits are available on line now for $20 for 12 months.

https://land.az.gov/natural-resources/recreational-permits

• Like 1

Had an old timer tell me that was a molybdenum tailings pile left over from WWII.

I don't really know though.  I know nothing of the recovery of molybdenum.  It is supposed to be a local mineral to the Wickenburg area.  During the War it could be recovered in small scale, but today, I think its strictly a large scale operation.

Lots of those old molybdenum recovery sites all over the place down here.  Non with even a reddish color.  Must have been paying some top money for the stuff.  They hit ever crack and crevice for the stuff.   Used it for Gun Barrels and Harden Steel. 

• Like 1

The big red pile (s) was a gravel pit called Apache Gravel Co. and was in Rhyolite hence the red color. They got behind on taxes back in the 80s and got booted out by the State and the pit was seized. They now (State) use the gravel as needed and keep others out.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The state posts these no trespassing signs and has several versions.  All it means is pay $20 for a permit and have it on you when you enter, which you can buy from the internet and print up right away.  These pics are not from Castle Hot spings rd, I got it off the internet, but its one of dozens of types of signs.

If you go to Bill's outing in November you'll see these.

State Trust No Tresspassing.jpg

• Like 1