Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morlock

Should He End The Hunt?

Yes, I did six trips from California to New Mexico, found the location but the gold wasn't there. I am still waiting for the gold.

It takes a very special map to put the poem to good use. 

I'm under the opinion that the treasure was found by someone that did not report it.  I think by someone who is happy with anonymity, and maybe even avoiding taxes.

8 hours ago, chrisski said:

I'm under the opinion that the treasure was found by someone that did not report it.  I think by someone who is happy with anonymity, and maybe even avoiding taxes.

If it has already been found, Fenn would certainly know about it and inform the general public, imho.  I find it hard to believe he would continue to allow people to put themselves in danger or having the state continue to expend resources looking for lost treasure searchers.

I really don't think he's going out to check on the treasure.  I'm sure if he went to check on the treasure every few weeks he would be noticed.  He's also five years older than when he placed it.  Even if it was in an easy to get to place, at that age, it's probably harder to access.  Might not have even been found by a hunter.  Could have been tossed by a volunteer crew cleaning the trail.  Could also have been found by someone he entrusted the location to that talked a little much.

IMHO, I believe lots of lost treasures have been found by people who don't report them.  I really think some of the old cowboy lost treasures were found years ago, but people still look for them thinking they're out there.

I have been wrong before.  I was convinced Osama Bin Laden died in the Tora Bora Cave attacks, but he lived many years after that.

I have also thought of looking for the treasure.  A bit of adventure.

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

I find it hard to believe he would continue to allow people to put themselves in danger or having the state continue to expend resources looking for lost treasure searchers.

He is not putting people in danger... just some dumb people out there.

Let's have a little personal responsibility again..... quit blaming it on others.

I had a great time, 16 hour drive (I did the return alone straight through twice). It intrigued me (fanatically) much to the dismay of family and friends.

I found a map that matched up with the clues pretty good, hardest part was "where warm waters halt" and "if you found the blaze".

After several trips I was able to determine the location and without even being there determined via Google Earth there must be a overhanging rock that he placed it under. Drove down, got wet and sure enough, there was an excellent spot exactly where the poem stated to "look quickly down" right under my feet next to the blaze. No treasure, even took my ATX down and stuck under there, no tone. Jumping in 40° water with a thin wetsuit was invigorating. What's even worse is that I grabbed my short john suit which has a bib top. I was just wearing a sweater on top. brrrrr. SIL was with us on this trip and her statement was "you got bigger balls than me". 

Rock 23.jpg

See the "blaze" in the rock? Not only was it exactly in the right place according to the poem, it was within the distance he hinted at in other tips he gave. Bring a sandwich was another clue, just down the trail to the left was a bench to sit on.

2015-06-03_16-07-11_293.jpg

The rock in the foreground just underwater projects out from the bank with a large open area under it. When you step off you are only chest deep and could easily slide a box of gold off the top of the rock and placed it underneath. Nobody would ever look under there in a thousand years. Water is well regulated by dam upstream and rarely goes low enough to even expose the top of the rock.

Funny story. I stayed at the same little motor lodge when I went down, first time I checked in was with my BIL who is a biker with arms full of tatts. When asked how many rooms we said one, getting a weird stare from the gentleman behind the counter.

Second trip was with my brother, same with the room with another weird look.

Third trip was with same BIL with his wife, she's a looker, we walked in together and when ask about a single room, I said two rooms. This set him off good.

Part of the reason I would want to go out and find the treasure is to have adventure like that.  Other part would be to get me off my but from in front of the computer.

Should send that picture to Forrest and see what he responds with.  If that is it, maybe he'd tell you.  I knew a guy who claimed Forrest responded to his inquiries.  If that's true, I'm sure if that were the spot, and he could tell the treasure was gone, he'd say.

I can see how an embankment like that rock would attract attention.  I can also see that if the treasure was hidden in an easy place to see, not buried, that anyone passing by seeing it would go grab it to see what's inside.  Just a natural urge you can't resist.

I think it's strange how a few days at Disney spending $1200 a day for a family of four is normal, but a trip to look for a treasure where the whole week is less than $1200 is considered odd.  To me, the treasure hunt would be more fun.  I enjoyed going to scout camp with my kid for a week.  For less than half the price of a day at Disney, I had much more fun at scout camp.

BTW-I don't see the blaze

1 hour ago, LipCa said:

He is not putting people in danger... just some dumb people out there.

Let's have a little personal responsibility again..... quit blaming it on others.

In that case, no one should be out looking for it. Sometimes things beyond control happen to even smart, experienced people.

blaze.jpg

I thought it looked like ice cream on top of a cone but it also looks like it could be the shape of a flame or blaze.

Final clue, I found the map on a website that is his two favorite things to do.

But don't put the blame on Forrest. You could get killed stepping off the sidewalk and the EMTs, fire trucks police and others would show up.... should we stop building sidewalks?

Give it a go Chris, it was a blast and glad I did it. It did cost me some serious coin, 12,000 miles, 12 nights in hotels, food.

Saw some great spots in this good ol USA though, Moab, and the southwest is beautiful.

http://dalneitzel.com/ is a great place to start, lots and lots of reading.

I started with just who he is and where I thought he might go. Old so not too far, too far to walk. He said he went to the spot in two trips and drove his car. Round trip to the location was under 2 miles.

End the Hunt ?  Why in the world would he want to do that ?  He is giving Millions of people a reason to get out and do something.  Some people are just Inept at life. 

1 hour ago, GeoJack said:

blaze.jpg

I thought it looked like ice cream on top of a cone but it also looks like it could be the shape of a flame or blaze.

Just curious if you've contacted him inquiring if this is the spot, GJ..?
If you haven't, you should, especially with all you've just stated & shown now out there..
If he replies, and his reply is affirmative while swearing you to secrecy, what would you do..?
If he doesn't really say yes or no but hems and haws instead, would you take that a yes same as I..?
And if he says no I'm sure you'd let us know, right..?

My bet is he won't reply at all.. To me that weights the answer as yes, even though it should remain 50/50..

Swamp

I've received a few emails from him. My last few emails was my solve and the location. No reply.

ffenn@earthlink.net

He even hints at the location of this one rock. 

Jack--

The guy who contacted him a few years ago with his ideas did not receive any answers when he asked Forest if he was in the right location.  Forests reply was something along the lines of people had been very close to the treasure.

The guy never showed me the E-Mails, just told me about him.

same here. He mentioned to me that if I found the treasure he wanted to purchase back the bracelet inside.

He states a child could decipher the poem, knowing this helped me past the first clue, "where warm waters halt". The rest of the clues are actually waypoints on the map.

Aw hell, here you go.

He loves to fly and fly fish, 1st clue to where the map you need is at.

i fly for trout 

As I have gone alone in there (clue)
And with my treasures bold,
I can keep my secret where,
And hint of riches new and old.

Begin it where warm waters halt (waypoint) remember, he said a child could figure this out
And take it in the canyon down, (clue)
Not far, but too far to walk.
Put in below the home of Brown. (waypoint) you need to research for this answer

From there it’s no place for the meek,
The end is ever drawing nigh; (waypoint)
There’ll be no paddle up your creek, (waypoint)
Just heavy loads and water high. (clue)

If you’ve been wise and found the blaze, (waypoint)
Look quickly down, your quest to cease, (clue)
But tarry scant with marvel gaze,
Just take the chest and go in peace.

So why is it that I must go
And leave my trove for all to seek?
The answers I already know,
I’ve done it tired, and now I’m weak.

So hear me all and listen good,
Your effort will be worth the cold. (clue)
If you are brave and in the wood
I give you title to the gold.

I just sent him my solve again. We'll see what happens.

There's also a chance this may never be found. There's another, smaller treasure that was buried in a midwestern state that has never been found for more then 35 or 40 years. I think the name of it was Tathing or something like that. A metal detector dealer developed a code with directions on how to find it. Was never found the last I read about it.

On 6/22/2017 at 0:49 PM, GeoJack said:

the first clue, "where warm waters halt". 

That sounds like a dam/reservoir/lake small pond. Outflows from them  are usually from deep cold water,( or  no  outflow at all)

Anyone narrowed it down  to the SAlt or VErde river basins(:th: I know that's such a small area)....

I suppose a cattle "tank"( watering pond) would even suffice.

Is there any geographically significant area of the SAlt or VErde basins  where the surface flow transitions to subsurface? That would also fit, of course..