Nugget Shooter Forums

Achondrite?

Found this little guy in an area lacking any terrestrial rocks. Picked it up because it was the only thing around. Non magnetic and looks to have a little remanent fusion crust, but hard to tell. Window looks brecciated but nothing similar to any achondrite I've seen so I really have no clue. What are your thoughts? 

The pictures are under 10x magnification. The window is approximately 10mm x 7mm

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

11 minutes ago, adam said:

Where are you going with that question? 

The poster said it was non magnetic !   Its not a meteorite

Anchondrites are nonmagnetic.

Something like this is all but impossible to render an opinion on from pictures, but if you think you have something maybe you can find a lab to look at it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Something like this is all but impossible to render an opinion on from pictures, but if you think you have something maybe you can find a lab to look at it.

That was my plan. I understand it's sometimes impossible to make an educated guess from pictures, especially with achondrites, but typically there's someone on this forum that can narrow down a meteorwrong to a type of terrestrial rock. The fact that no one can is kind of promising ? 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2017 at 11:57 AM, adam said:

Where are you going with that question? 

Just curious about the geography of the area found

5 hours ago, weaver hillbille said:

Just curious about the geography of the area found

I have recovered little over 27kilos from what I'm guessing to be multiple different falls in an area approx 3km x 5km. I have no doubt there are achondrites hiding, but as Mike said, a lab would be my best option. 

my latest find is a real beaut. I'm hoping for finally a type 3 ordinary chondrite and to what I hope is carbonaceous inclusions (the black xenolith)  Can anyone give me an idea of what the weird orange "inclusion" might be? It seems to be void of any chondrules so I'm thinking it's possibly achondritic material?  Considering the signs of brecciation, I'm thinking there's a mash up of multiple different types. 

Also, any tips as to where I can sell some after they are analyzed. I seemed to have lost every dollar in my pocket for these little guys. Don't do meteorites kids ?

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, munroney said:

I have recovered little over 27kilos from what I'm guessing to be multiple different falls in an area approx 3km x 5km.

image.jpeg

\Jedi Voice\ Impressive... most impressive.

:thumbsupanim

• Like 1

Munroney, if you don't mind me asking, in what area were all of these found? You don't have to be specific.

That's quite a haul, I'm loving all of the fusion crust :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gaustad18 said:

Munroney, if you don't mind me asking, in what area were all of these found? You don't have to be specific.

That's quite a haul, I'm loving all of the fusion crust :thumbsupanim

Mikes right...if I told you, I would have to kill you and everyone on this forum ??

....Someday I will open the curtains though