Nugget Shooter Forums

gold ore??

tomleft

You can use the unglazed bottom part of the lid on the toilet water container (or tank)  for a streak plate.

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

Looks like chalcopyrite, looks like its from middle march or abriel mine? Nice looking rock though.

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 3

Hey Tomleft,

Your on the right track. I spend allot of time in and around the dragoons. The key to finding the gold is finding copper deposits like the middle march, black diamond or abriel. Then work the hemitite associated with the deposit. I have found that the gold runs in hemitite just like bisbee. Keep at it, I've pulled some good gold out of the dragoons.

• Like 3

In your rock the gold is locked up in sulphides. You would have to crush and burn off the sulfides to recover the small ammount of gold in the complex ore. Your better off keeping it like it is, it's a nice looking rock.

• Like 2

It's a complex ore that has a little bit of gold but is mostly copper sulphides. If you can get in the oxide part of the deposit higher up the chance of finding visible gold increases.

• Like 1

If there is gold in the rock, then it would be "GOLD ORE"

The odds that some random rock you picked up has gold in it, is like .002%

That area however, does have some nice mineral specimens.

Edited by adam
  • Like 1

Adam is right with the tiny amount of gold thats in the rock it would make it gold ore.

Morlock here is some similar looking chalcopyrite I've collected in the Pearce area.  20170620_123751.jpg

Tomleft here is a example of gold in hematite I found in the dragoons. You can see its from a oxide deposit with some copper oxide staining. If you look close enough you can tiny see gold flakes in the hematite (sorry not so great zoom) The rock was on the surface and the associated wash was a awesome spot to drywash.20170620_124019.jpg

test 3.jpg

Another example of gold ore and another surface find from some mountains near by.  20170620_124050.jpg

So if you can find some similar colored quartz I'd slow down and do some sampling, Ive done pretty well chasing this stuff. IMG_1492.JPG Here is what it looks like in the wild. Like I said your on the right track.

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 6

If you're willing to part with it, you can crush a piece and pan it.  I don't believe it's free gold.  If it had that much, it would make a metal detector sing.  I do not know enough about sulphides to comment.  If it were a telluride, again unlikely, you could extract the gold through a chemical process, but you'd have to have a quite a bit to make it worth it.

Could be worth it to return to the same area to see if you could find another sample if you're attached to that rock.

• Like 1

Hey Tomlift,

Exactly what the other members surmised, you have a specimen of chalcopyrite.  The main mineral of  copper ore here in southern Az.  Even though pyrite is the main mineral that is called fools gold, chalcopyrite is a close second.  The dead give away is the reflective crystal faces on the specimen.  If you look on the next to last photo you will see that the gold is non-reflective and has a firm gold coloring through out its face no matter which way you turn it in the sun.

Keep looking and someday you will find a good one.

Bob

• Like 3

Great pics Kevin! I love the Dragoon Mountains and Pearce. Been camping out there since I was a kid. Need to get out there and prospect there one of these days. One of the old journals said there was placer gold around Pearce Hill/Commonwealth Mine but that whole area is claimed up and was for sale for about 12 million $$ I think the last time I checked.

Tortuga most of the large copper deposits, (middlemarch, black diamond, Gleason, an Pearce areas are very similar to the Bisbee deposits. The gold runs in limonite and hematite associated with the deposits. Sometimes the limonite and hematite punch the surface well before the copper minerals do. The places I've done well dry washing have been on the edges of the copper deposits. It's all been small fines and pickers though nothing detectable. But it's still gold.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, great picks of the gold, Desert Pilot.  Perfect examples.  I tend to collect different types of rocks that are indicators of gold and take a few home so I can put it in my front yard as a reminder what to keep an eye out for.

• Like 1