Nugget Shooter Forums

Is this a ruby if so what kind of color is it?

Looks to me like someone put a lot of time into tryin' to make it look like something it isn't..
A real ruby that size would be worth $$$$$$$$s, much more deserving of better than
those average facets, lousy girdle and terrible finish..

Swamp

I don't think it's a ruby, a ruby has a hardness of 9 on the mohs hardness scale just short of a diamond at 10, if it's was a ruby I don't think it would have all the scratches on it unless it was hanging out for a long time with a bunch of diamonds.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Unitedstatesofamerica1 said:

In answer to your original question, here's the super-secret link to the ruby grading system..
Eleven pages worth of pdf: 

https://www.cigem.ca/pdf/ruby.pdf 

Swamp

This a beautiful gem and will make a nice ring once reset.  When I first saw the picture, it did not strike me as being a red Ruby.  After looking at the photos, I'm pretty sure it is a Spinel "Ruby"  that is a dark, red, Spinel gem.  Being an Art Deco piece, I would think that less expensive, but sturdy, "brilliant"  gems would be used.  Spinel has a hardness of 8, so it will scratch Quartz and red Spinel is known for its brilliance.  A sure test, is to see if it fluoresces under a UV light.  Red Spinel will fluoresce brightly under a UV light.  That's my 2 cents worth.  Here is a link to Spinel Gems info.

• Like 2