Nugget Shooter Forums

YOYO Transmission.

TomH

What the the heck, its slow in here right now so here I go.............

2 weeks ago I decided to pull my 87 4runner trans. to fix a broken reverse gear. Been nursing it along for about a year. Did some crappy reverse shifts in some nasty spots and chipped/broke teeth.  There is no syncro on the rev. set up in the W56 trans so you have to be gentle going into rev.  

Well, got it out, and with the help of Arctic Dave, Got it apart and found 3 broken gears. 

I could get the counter shaft online, but the reverse idler was like trying to find a hens tooth! Finally got one along with a reverse gear. Got new bearings/seals and after many hours of cleaning 30 years of grease and crap off of it it was ready to go back together. Fun thing about this....no manual! :2mo5pow:Dave was a wizard at it though and we got it all together. I spent a couple of days finishing up the install and everything works great :yesss: New trans,bearings, seals, syncros, clutch pack, input shaft, rear main seal, pilot bearing......im good to go.

(if im in there...I replace it so I dont have to do it down the road) 

It was fun in a sick way and I learned a LOT! :) 

Just some fun times in the AZ. heat.

Tom H. 

SAM_1557.JPG

SAM_1560.JPG

SAM_1563.JPG

SAM_1565.JPG

SAM_1567.JPG

SAM_1585.JPG

SAM_1586.JPG

• Like 5

A lot of hard work paid off there. 

Nothing wrong with mine, but it does have 180k + on the clock, so it will go someday.  For that eventuality, I've got the ATSG transmission rebuild guide for my truck, but so many special tools are needed for that, I think it'd be cheaper to have a shop do it than buy those tools and do it myself.

Good job on your Yoyo. My '91 sure can be temperamental when going into reverse, but at 251K,  I'm not going to complain. 

It will probably outlast me.  lol    Think I'm missing two or three tranny bolts, so guess I'll have to do some scrounging later on.  

Jim   :4chsmu1: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike C... said:

Wow cant find them grind them :arrowheadsmiley: good thing you took care of it because being stuck would suck :thumbsupanim Mike C...:200:

yah, that was my old adag...till this, now im a nurse maid on shifting after I understand whats going on in the gearbox :4chsmu1: 

Tom H. 

26 minutes ago, chrisski said:

A lot of hard work paid off there. 

Nothing wrong with mine, but it does have 180k + on the clock, so it will go someday.  For that eventuality, I've got the ATSG transmission rebuild guide for my truck, but so many special tools are needed for that, I think it'd be cheaper to have a shop do it than buy those tools and do it myself.

Couple of pullers, a torch and a air hammer :) This was more of a (wanted to do it and learn type of thing) Would have been easyer to let a shop do it.............but I like to have my fingers in things for some reason. 

Tom H.

• Like 1

WOW what a job and no manual!! Mine just got vandalized-they took all the gas and put in some goopy garbage, quite a chore by myself but now 2 bolts on the gas tank cover are not going in right. Same heads but different threads ? front 3 fine but rear??. Amazing as last 2 bolts on the whole affair and this crops up. Grand job , at least I had my chiltons but by myself-John