Nugget Shooter Forums

Continuing vision problems post cataract surgery..

It's taken me since last Friday afternoon, which is when I found out, to figure out if I should share this or not.. I concluded I'll eventually end up having to mention it at some point up the road anyhow so I may as well do it now..

Due to most likely more than one reason the tiny veins in my eyeballs have begun to hemorrhage.. Fortunately there is a fix of sorts, more a stop-gap really, as long as the situation is dealt with prior to the blood turning to scar tissue -- after which it's lights out, no pun intended.. The treatment involves injections..

One guess as to where the injections need to be administered..

So yeahhhh, I've been freaking out just a bit since learning what the deal is and what it takes to fix.. At the same time I'm thankful beyond words it can actually be fixed to a greater or lesser extent at all, since it wasn't that long ago it couldn't..

Anyhowww, I now know what I'll be doing this summer, or for part of it at least.. How about you (haha, not so much)..?

Swamp

ADDENDUM: Much the same as my thinking all I needed was a reading lense prescription change ending up leading to the cataract surgery, so did this play out as well.. Following that surgery my vision began blurring again, but was due to protien buildup on the inside of the new lenses, which happens with a % of those receiving replacement lenses, and was easily lasered away.. At that time everything looked good within the eyes (late Dec) and my seeing both near & far was great..! Shortly thereafter though my vision started getting funky again.. I thought it was simply changing reading vision / new prescription update time.. I hadn't had lasik surgery done, ya know..? Vision's still gonna change.. And I already had another app't scheduled for July.. But things started changing more rapidly than seemed normal to me, so I called and was able to get the app't moved forward.. That app't took place this past Friday, which is when I found out just how totally wrong my assumption was and we all found out what was really taking place: branch retinal vein occlusion with macular edema..

Now that I'm (mostly) over the initial shock of the Dx, I 'think' I'm good to go for this couple week's wait to surgery.. I really don't do well with 'down' things (who does, actually?,) and this is no exception.. Matter of fact it's just taken over the #2 slot on my all-time Hit Parade list of least favorite things I prefer to not have happen or done to me.. There's something about the usage of both "needles" and "eyeballs" in the same sentence that simply doesn't thrill me, I done guess..

• Like 1

Dang Swamp....     :-(

Hang in there.

....what Dan said.

Luke

• Like 1

Things will sort out .  At least they have a Grip on what taking place and actions to take.  Eaa?   My Mudder in Law had lenses put in about 2 months ago.  Hers clouded up with proteins like yours seem to have.  Easy Fix that was.  They just Zapped it all clean with Laser.  She said it was a 3 minute chair thing.  Hang In...

• Like 1

Swamp, I hear you on your eye problem.  My wife who is 85 years old  has been going through this problem for the last four or five years.  As you said there is no fix to it but there is a stop gap fix available.  She actually got her condition before there was a arresting procedure.  It came along as a treatment for cancer which they adapted to this eye condition.  They have since removed It from the cancer treatment but have had wonderful results with the eye treatment.  The name of the drug is Avastin and is administered by injection to the eye ball.  Don't worry it sounds gross but it is painless as you are all numbed up first.  They use extremely small injectors and it doesn't leave any marks or discomfort at all.  You will have to follow up with meds (Eye Drops) daily which are very expensive so be prepared for that.  They said that my wife's condition would never heal but she hasn't had to have an injection in several months now after having them every six week or so.  Hang in there Bro and if you want you can PM me or we can talk directly on the telly if you want to.   :thumbsupanim

Old Tom  

• Like 2

Al, I'll be rooting for you and for everything to work out well, don't know how to help with the needle in the eye scare though, I would be freaking a bit too if I had to have that done and needles don't brother me at all, but never had them aiming at my eyeball, just doesn't sound right when someone tells you...."everything will be fine, we're just going to stick a needle in your eyeball...":yikes: 

• Like 2

Thanks Tom; appreciate that offer should a need arise..

Oh yeah, I'll for sure be numbed up & twilighted.. For my scenario he'll be starting with Eylea and Kenalog.. Pure guess on my part at this point, but I figure they'll go to the Avastin if parity hasn't been reached after three rounds.. I'm of the understanding one round may be able to do it all, but I'm not exactly holding my breath..

Swamp

Bunner Swamp as hope all goes better for you. I have a stinkn' cataract and need replacement also. But must finish up with dentist and wait for next year??? Dangerous but just a cash thing as NO dental insurance as the $1,000s fly away-John

• Like 1

I have a distant cousin who had the same...she got the shots and it all worked great...hang in there and remember, this is why they have Jose Cuervo...!  Cheers, Unc

• Like 3

On 6/3/2017 at 11:50 PM, Uncle Ron said:

...and remember, this is why they have Jose Cuervo...!  Cheers, Unc

True, that.. Johnnie Walker black's much too "polite" for this sort of situation..

Swamp

Just catching up on the forums an came to this, wanted to send you best wishes for improved lifestyle for you, hang in there my friend.

There ain't NOTHIN I've found so far about getn old that I like. An I mean NOTHIN !

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, frank c said:

There ain't NOTHIN I've found so far about getn old that I like. An I mean NOTHIN !

Actually Frank the best thing about getting old is to keep getting older,,,the alternative sucks!:old:  Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frank c said:

Just catching up on the forums an came to this, wanted to send you best wishes for improved lifestyle for you, hang in there my friend.

"Well", you don't have to worry about registering for the draft, because no one wants ya,....."And" remember when you where (much younger) and you had to beat the young women-off with a stick due to their lusting after you,:brows: ....well, you shouldn't have to worry about that exercise any more now.  The only thing(s) these days that I have to thrash and swat are the biting fly's:grr01: that want to eat me alive when I'm out detecting during these hot summer days.  "And" remember how hard it was to drag yourself out of bed to get ready to go to work in the mornings when you where younger???  Well, that's not a worry these days, because (if your like me) you are most likely up about 3-4 times a night having to go pee, :tisk-tisk:..or because you just can't sleep due to your mind not wanting to stop thinking about "anything and everything" that "it" has determined needs to be addressed NOW. :ROFL: And of course NOW the afternoon nap is in, :zzzzz:...where it was unheard of when we where younger.  Well, that's enough said for now, I'm getting depressed.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Actually Frank the best thing about getting old is to keep getting older,,,the alternative sucks!:old:  Cheers, Unc

ACTUALLY RON, I think the best part is being able to remember the people thru the years that made life great the memories of them and times gone by.
Being able to have shared the time with them.

• Like 3