Nugget Shooter Forums

Spray epoxy for cracked coils?

Anyone have any recommendations on product I can use to repair & seal a few cracks in my coil. Is there a spray type of sealant that would work well or paste that will adhere/stick  to plastic? USPS destroyed one of my coils in shipping , thankfully it works, just need to seal it well....

This may not be exactly what you're looking for,  but these products are available at Wal Mart and tend to have good reviews.  I am using the Flex tape to repair a tear in my tonneau cover on my pickup.  The liquid may work on coils.

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/

A couple of downsides, you'd probably be the first ton the block to try it, and it is an "as Seen on TV" product.

Edited by chrisski

I use it to reinforce my coil-cover that I use for sorting...it has never cracked or came off....however, I have not tried it on curves or rounded forms...

Home depot has the flex-seal that is on tv...you know the screen door or boat thing...

fred

• Like 1

Gorilla glue will stick to Vaseline! :)

Home depot has it in the paint/glue section. Scuff the area up a little first, dont use a lot, It expands some.

. Tom H. 

• Like 3

I was using E6000 epoxy that I purchased at Target when I was making homemade coils.  It works really well for bonding ABS plastic.

It is very strong and remains flexible after curing.  One bonus is that if you don't like the repair job or want to try something different, you can pick at an edge and ultimately peel it all off cleanly and start over.  It also does a pretty good job of finding it's way down into cracks and crevices without being 'watery' from the start.

I've seen some other good recommendations here too, so it looks like you have a few options.

Good luck !

Luke

• Like 4

When I do my DIY Coils I seal the shells with MEK   (methyl ethyl ketone) .  I  dissolve some ABS and make my own Glue/Weld.   Like Mercury it has a bad rap but handled like Acetone you are fine.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

• Like 2

Bummer it got messed up, RH.. The "good news", such as it is, is it happened in transit and not during use -- meaning you won't have any post-sealing falsing problems being caused by impurities trapped within..

I've recently seen a couple other gripes about prospecting equipment supposedly damaged by USPS during transit.. I have to use the word "supposedly", because it may not be their people responsible for the damage..

Does anyone else recall a few years ago drop boxes (or maybe they were storage boxes??) from either UPS or FedEx (I honestly can't remember which or who) just showing up one day outside their post office branch..? They didn't last very long, couple weeks tops, but they were for sure there.. When I got inside that day I asked one of the workers what that was all about and he told me there was a deal in the works where that outfit would soon be able to make deliveries to PO Boxes.. (This had to have been around the time the post office was really taking a beating from disappearing snail mail volume..) That deal never did happen..

At the same time as he was telling me about the PO box delivery possibility thing though he also said something along the lines of it may have something to do with the fact 'they' picked up a sub-contract: hauling USPS mail and parcels along certain air routes.. They did already have planes in the air, so why not top 'em off..? And USPS needed to reel in outlay.. Why fly your own when another with room is heading to the same destination..? Sounds like a win - win to me..

As far as I know that contract is still in place.. And of the three carriers mentioned I'm fairly sure everyone can list worst to best damage-wise..

Sooo, just sayin'.. Even though it is USPS starting the delivery and making the final delivery, these days the possibility of one's item not being "in-house" the entire journey does exist.. And if something gets damaged along the way USPS takes the hit regardless of who's people are irresponsible..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

LOL, Last week ordered some cell phone batteries.  They shipped DHL.  Flew from. Cal to Tx and from Tx are coming USPS.   Yep, All one big happy Money Maker.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LukeJ said:

I was using E6000 epoxy that I purchased at Target when I was making homemade coils.  It works really well for bonding ABS plastic.

It is very strong and remains flexible after curing.  One bonus is that if you don't like the repair job or want to try something different, you can pick at an edge and ultimately peel it all off cleanly and start over.  It also does a pretty good job of finding it's way down into cracks and crevices without being 'watery' from the start.

I've seen some other good recommendations here too, so it looks like you have a few options.

Good luck !

Luke

Luke, E6000 is awesome!! They made a good product even better,

E6800

There is also a no sag formula.

• Like 1

There are quite a few  two-part ,plastic compatible epoxies at  HOme Cheepos. BLowes, Tarzshay, Wally World, and elsewhere, marketd by JB and others- under$5

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 3

"Sooo, just sayin'.. Even though it is USPS starting the delivery and making the final delivery, these days the possibility of one's item not being "in-house" the entire journey does exist.. And if something gets damaged along the way USPS takes the hit regardless of who's people are irresponsible.".

Swampstomper, 

Interesting I didn't know that..I suppose it could have been another carrier other than USPS. Also, if you ship priority, like I do..its only insured for 50 bucks..so buy extra insurance. That being said, collecting the money may be a hassle too and take months. I am just fortunate it still works like new..looks like crap..but works :yesss:. I ended up looking

around the house and had some of that " Seen it on TV" spray seal....gave it one coat and sealed it nice. I am going to give it 2 more and see how it goes. I'll find some gold with

it and call it even...thanks guys for all the great suggestions.....:thumbsupanim

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Seen it on TV" spray seal....gave it one coat and sealed it nice.....:thumbsupanim

Is asphalt  one of the ingredients?  ANy sort of polymer or rubber listed on the label?

In the HOAs I live in, USPS doesn't deliver anything.  They have contracted all mail delivery.  A person shows up in a private, unmarked mini-van and puts sorted mail in the HOA mail boxes, and if I get a package in the mail, she will bring it to our house.

I think we have one sorting facility in our city of 100,000 and then the contractor picks her batch up from there.  So at least here, it is out of the USPS hands for final delivery.

I don't see many Post Offices opening, but I see a lot of privately owned "mailbox stores."  About half the time I use those private facilities to mail my boxes.

Actually met a USPS mailman at the gym, and honestly thought we did not have them in the area anymore.

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 1

All Rural Routs are Contracted. Our Mail Lady drives a Rusted out Banger that she drive till it dies and in a couple of months she will buy another banger . LOL Seen her go through like 5 cars and truck in a year.

The E6000 is amazing. I steal my wife's all the time. She uses it for crafting when she makes something that will be displayed outdoors and I steal it from her for shop projects. Works really well and holds up to the sun and temps.

• Like 1

"Is asphalt  one of the ingredients?  ANy sort of polymer or rubber listed on the label?"

Not sure...hmmmm...now you got me thinking,,,:th:

ok so , on line looks like others have used this product on coils and say it works. Won't know until for sure but will take it out on a hunt today and let you know if it does. It comes in many colors but can also be painted. Did learn some of these epoxies and sealants do contain metals like Weaver hillbilly pointed out.  Get back to you on this later today.

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Like 1

Just got back from a short 3 hour hunt.....I am happy to say spray on flex seal works like a charm.....i had black color seal...looks crappy on a white detech..but the coil humzz very stable. seems like the 7-8 cracks in the coil had no effect whatsoever on its performance. Going to give it only 2 coats total..the first did a good job..second coat will be just to make sure its a good seal. Unfortunately another hunt with no gold....but picked up small bits and freakin ball shot..and other assorted lead bullets...... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Relichunter2016 said:

Did learn some of these epoxies and sealants do contain metals like Weaver hillbilly pointed out. 

Not this kid. But, yeah, you would want to stay away from any  epoxy  made with metal powder as a filler( like JB weld for metal).

I asked about the tar because several years ago when it came out, it was made with asphalt/tar and solvent( and no rubber or polymer) It was a big disappointment.

• Like 1