Nugget Shooter Forums

lynx creek

JOHNM

Hello JOHNM, ..  The link that homefire just provided you is a good one.  This withdrawl area is open (without cost) to "anyone" who wants to pan in Lynx creek.  You don't have to belong to any gold club, and there are no claims allowed there as it had been set aside by the Prescott National Service many years ago.  There is no dredging, sluicing, hi banking allowed, and no mechanical equipment allowed,....Just panning.  Gary

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

"YES", you can use a detector, but the creek is very trashy from all those who prospected it all the way back from 1863 up to today. 

This is why I like hunting trashy areas. People tend to give up or avoid them completely. One of the things I used to do is bring a small bucket along when detecting those types of areas. Since checking each target you dig is time consuming, I would get a signal, dig it and put into the bucket without even checking it. The more  targets you dug, the better the odds become. At the end of the day I would simply dump the contents of the bucket into a pan and pan it out. Hopefully they'll be a piece of gold or more  in the pan.

Some people might say you don't know where it came from if you did find a nugget it two. Imho it doesn't make any difference since you're not going to find a patch in these areas anyway. It's all going to be random. 

• Like 2

Questions: How much further south is Lynx Creek withdrawn..? Is where Bannie Mine Rd crosses Lynx Creek and all area between these two points withdrawn for instance..? If so, how far beyond Bannie Mine Rd. does withdrawel continue..? Are there claims further south on/along Lynx Creek..? Thanks..

Swamp

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/prescott/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5359247

Answers most of your questions.  The odd colored blocks along the withdrawal area are private property.  If you are thinking of visiting the Southwest to find color, I think this would be the best place. I've found more color on this place than the GPAA claims by Wickenburg or the two times I went to the San Gabriel River.

South of Lynx is mostly private property along the river.  Because Lynx Creek is the richest placer deposit worked in AZ, the likelihood of finding open ground is next to nothing.  About three years ago, I did a search and could find no open ground.  Also, their is always puddles of water to find on the bedrock, but the creek is almost always dry.  With as close as the houses are built to the creek to the south of the Withdrawal area, I can't see the creek flowing anything more than a brook.

The area has been worked with large dredges and you can see the tailing piles all along the withdrawal area.

You can always find color along the withdrawal area, but no power tools or sluices allowed. 

A few years ago I met a couple who had fallen behind in bills and had decided to go pan for gold.  After two weeks being there, I ran into them and they showed me the gold they found... 3 grams tops.  Most gold I've seen from there with my eyes.  I met another guy who was on a gold prospecting trip around the country and was going to call his wife to see if he could be a few days late from returning and would it be OK to miss the anniversary.  Guys I talk to claim they found a half ounce nugget five years ago, or a quarter ounce nugget dour years ago.

• Like 2

I created a topo map with the...It's called the Lynx Lake topo...Cheers, Unc

2 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

I created a topo map with the...It's called the Lynx Lake topo...Cheers, Unc

So is this included with the bradshaw map pack-did you ship off maps that were ordered through your special  yet :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

On 5/29/2017 at 8:38 PM, GDM/PV said:

"YES", you can use a detector, but the creek is very trashy from all those who prospected it all the way back from 1863 up to today. 

However, your not allowed to detect above the high water mark. Also Rangers do stop by and make sure your digging in the existing stream and not under trees or into the embankments. Its best to break apart bedrock to get where no man has gone before.

On 5/31/2017 at 0:39 PM, Mike C... said:

So is this included with the bradshaw map pack-did you ship off maps that were ordered through your special  yet :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

Yo Mike...It's actually not a part of that package, but I'll print and throw one in for helping me out when I had a quick med problem...CVS doesn't swap meds for custom gold maps! :idunno: Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

BTW, USFS often operates on "policy" rather than Fed. law ... When my partners and I were mining in N. CA they cited us for violating their policies and we went to court and fought ... We won, big time, to the point that they quit sending piss firs to our mine, but then sicked the CA F&G on us...Back to court with a lawyer and we whooped their butts too... Ya gotta stand up to them, but you've got to do it in an intelligent way....Cheers, Un

• Like 3