Nugget Shooter Forums

Can anyone help identify this geode

I am a complete novice when it comes to this and have spent several hours trying to find out what this is. I recently inherited a large collection and when I was unloading my car a neighbour came over and was particularly interested in this one and offered me £20 he has since asked me twice now if he can buy it. 

I believe this is a pyrite geode but I can not find any othes where they seem to be growing up like stalagmites from within the geode

My question is firstly what is it and is it rare to have the stalagmites growing up like this.

Any help really appreciated 

Regards Nigel

DSC08019.JPG

DSC08020.JPG

DSC08021.JPG

• Like 1

There are similar geodes with pyrite crystals on eBay right now and they have put them on sale for 50% off now selling for around $10 US albeit these don't have the stalagmite formation, I also saw another from the same seller that has hematite crystals and does have the stalagmite formations and it's selling on sale for the same price point...$10 US.

I would post link to these but the owner of these forums doesn't allow eBay links to be posted.

You can do  search on eBay for the seller..   topturquoise.

As the seller's eBay seller name suggests he has a lot of turquoise, but also had the geodes I posted, you can see all he sells by clicking on his other items link.

You can also search eBay for possible other geodes with similar crystals, I stopped looking when I found the ones I posted.

That's a pretty unique geode in the sense I've never seen one quite like it and I've been a rockhound for most of my life.

I just wonder exactly that was found.

Personally, I'd just keep it since it displays well and would surely get compliments.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nigel1965 said:

Appreciate that and yes I think I will be keeping, it was wrapped up in newspaper from the 1960's so the chance of ever finding where it was discovered has long gone. 

thanks Nigel

Like Skip says, it's probably not going to bring that much money but it sure is a nice, aesthetic looking conversation piece

• Like 1

Going solely by the photos, it is a "Geode" not a "stalactite/stalagmite" formation.  Note the "weathering rind" on the very outermost portion.  This piece was in the ground and experiencing chemical weathering, not in a cave experiencing deposition.  The mineral in the middle looks more like Galena (lead mineral) than Pyrite; next mineral layer out, looks like Quartz and the outermost layer could one of many pinkish/reddish minerals.  Without running some basic mineral ID tests, its hard to say.  It is a very nice, colorful piece.  Nice find!

• Like 2