Nugget Shooter Forums

It's That Time Again.

homefire

I Doubt there are ANY of you folks out there that do not know of Some One who did not come Home. This is the time to Refresh THEIR FACES in Your Minds. Have a Good Holiday We the People !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

• Like 1

I grew up during WW II and watched the effect that war had on my family.  None of my uncles or father were killed during the fracas but as years passed I remember them one by one succumbing to the horrors of what had happened to them over there.  There was drunkenness, murder, suicide, spousal abuse, you mention it, it was all there.  I loved my uncles as a boy, they went away as high school kids and came back as strangers.  They are all gone now but what they did over there guaranteed our freedom for years to come.  I don't know just what is right, to come back bodily intact and half brain dead or maybe not at all.  May God bless and forgive them all! 

Old Tom 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Old Tom said:

I grew up during WW II and watched the effect that war had on my family.  None of my uncles or father were killed during the fracas but as years passed I remember them one by one succumbing to the horrors of what had happened to them over there.  There was drunkenness, murder, suicide, spousal abuse, you mention it, it was all there.  I loved my uncles as a boy, they went away as high school kids and came back as strangers.  They are all gone now but what they did over there guaranteed our freedom for years to come.  I don't know just what is right, to come back bodily intact and half brain dead or maybe not at all.  May God bless and forgive them all! 

Old Tom 

As Old Tom's personal elaboration explains not all casualties of war are those that loss their lives, almost all of those that experienced hands on combat lost something of their lives and many if not all have not overcome that loss, the families have lost just as much from these war casualties, God Bless them all!! 

My brother served in Vietnam and has never and simply refuses to ever talk about his experiences and 50 years have past since he was there!

I also lost one of my Uncles at Iwo Jima in WWII.

• Like 3

I lost an uncle at Normandy and a few high school friends in Viet Nam...every year I get a little miffed at some of the "parades" that seem to miss the point that this day is set aside for honoring and remembering those that made the ultimate sacrifice for their country....

Remember not just those who Died were the Casualties.  Family, Friends and the children of them payed the price as well.

• Like 2