Nugget Shooter Forums
Cowkiller

Water at lynx?

Hey guys I was wondering if lynx is running above the lake? The family wants to go pay in water and whats better than water and gold? Thanks guys.

Hey Justin, I don't know if Lynx is running or not but it will be awful crowded with people this weekend.  The last time we went we were run out by unruly campers.  Just a thought consider Eugene Gulch, it has a creek and a waterfall there.  Box Canyon above Wickenburg is a good place for kids also, and the water runs late into the summer.  Try calling the ranger station for the area to see if water  is running in the creeks. 

Old Tom

• Like 1

Can't help you about water flowing in the creek, but I've never been there and not found enough water to pan.  I've only seen running water after the snow melts.  At Bannie Mine road, I've seen it where there's enough puddles to pan about anywhere, or may have to walk a couple hundred yards to find water.

As far as water, Lynx Lake the reservoir will have it.  I've been able to rent a canoe on the lake anytime I went up there.  Weather will definitely be more comfortable there than Lake pleasant or any of the local lakes.

The Prescott National Forest Website will have phone numbers for the local ranger stations.

Thanks Tom I didn't think about box canyon. I think we will go there. That area is really nice. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks for the reply Chris you are right about the local lashes they will be hot! Prescott is way nicer than the valley.

• Like 1

Have fun there Justin!!

56 minutes ago, Cowkiller said:

Thanks Tom I didn't think about box canyon. I think we will go there. That area is really nice. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks for the reply Chris you are right about the local lashes they will be hot! Prescott is way nicer than the valley.

You'll be "sorry":grr01: for not going,...the coooool pines of Prescott, and the Lynx are calling to you,..."come-hether",..come-seek-out my Gold,...I'ts here for the taking, but only "the Shadow" knows:200: where.  Gary  :brows:

005.JPG

• Like 5

Gee whiz Gary that is some good looking stuff! I think you are pulling me to the dark side.

• Like 2

"mmm,  yes, the force is strong in that one ... it is "    Nice gold Gary.

14 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

You'll be "sorry":grr01: for not going,...the coooool pines of Prescott, and the Lynx are calling to you,..."come-hether",..come-seek-out my Gold,...I'ts here for the taking, but only "the Shadow" knows:200: where.  Gary  :brows:

005.JPG

What..? Wait..! So you're saying there's reason to come to Prescott besides the In-n-Out Burger
and that bar with the really well-tuned honky-tonk pianer..? Kewl..! :4chsmu1:

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2017 at 6:26 PM, Cowkiller said:

Wish I had seen this Friday...The BLM has taken over Box Canyon and the swimming hole there and made it off limits to make it a nesting area for a bird--something like the yellow assed cuckoo or something-- that doesn't even exist anywhere near the Box or near town anywhere for that matter...The whole town of Wickenburg is pissed off about the loss of a traditional fun place the town has been playing at for 150 years...The city council called the BLM to tell them to back off and the feds basically told Wickenburg to stick it... :2mo5pow: No cheers, on this one...Unc

When did they obtain the Property ?  No Community involvement sounds about right. 

After all this, not one person confirmed whether there was water in Lynx or not 

Actually I did, but I had mentioned that there was water In the Lynx in a PM to Cowkiller.  The Lynx is not actually flowing this time of year (as in a creek), it is "trickling" , as are some of the tributaries that feed Lynx.  There is plenty of water for panning, and many pools in various spots.

• Like 3

Ha thanks everyone for the info. We went to the rim last weekend the family (wife) ? decided it would be to hot in box canyon and wanted higher elevation. East clear Creek was perfect! Not too many people and not hot. We will go back again.

• Like 3

Well, I have learned that the BLM backed off after the town went BS crazy...They have cancelled their plans to shut down the Box.   Cheers, Unc

• Like 5

Boy that sure is a relief, to close off that beautiful place would be a sin.  Cheers to Wickenburg for standing up to those bullies.  Where else would the kids go to misbehave like kids do?  :rasberry:

Old Tom

• Like 3

There's actually a much better swimming hole that local kids know about and use but I think it's illegal...Hard place to get to so it's hard to monitor..Cheers, Unc

LOL, The Golf Course Water Obstacles were always a available Back Up plan when we were kids.  

Box is so easy to get to and such a neat place.  Mom's and dad's used to go there themselves and it's no wonder the kids have such an attachment to it.  Along with other things a lot of conception went on in that place.  It's a great place to go through after a long day of beeping in the hot sun, shady, cool and lots of water.  After all the use this place has had I see no signs of destruction or graffiti.  There are small digs in the high walls of the canyon and I don't know just how those old timers got to them except by home made ladders placed pretty precariously in the rocks.  I'd like to read some history of that area.

Old Tom

Box Canyon, is this a few miles East of Florence, just North of Gila RIver?  I looked on Google maps, but saw no water along Box Road?

Got some free time and looking for somewhere to go so that may be one of the places.

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

Box Canyon, is this a few miles East of Florence, just North of Gila RIver?  I looked on Google maps, but saw no water along Box Road?

Got some free time and looking for somewhere to go so that may be one of the places.

Box Canyon of the Hassayampa Trail is a 8.1 mile loop trail located near Wickenburg

Thanks.  Looks interesting.  A few mies past where I usually go.

A little off topic for this thread,

There are a lot of box canyons out there. just make sure you include Wickenburg in the search. been there many times, loved it. glad Wickenburg defended it.
But you may want to take a look at the long term plans to build a dam and lake above it. AzNuggetBob

On 5/27/2017 at 10:05 AM, Swampstomper Al said:

What..? Wait..! So you're saying there's reason to come to Prescott besides the In-n-Out Burger
and that bar with the really well-tuned honky-tonk pianer..? Kewl..! :4chsmu1:

Swamp

AZ liquor stores have 190 proof embalming fluid, too. CAn't get it here on the left coast, so I score a case whenever I can get up there.

...THE  HOtel St. MIchael a movin and shakin place. Across from  Courthouse Square. downtown.

Posh  Antique,  it is, and supposed to be haunted. Just stay away from the rooms over the downstairs bar/band area( it booms till 11pm in the eve).

• Like 1