Nugget Shooter Forums

Strewnfield question

Yo, All...I have identified and plotted out a Meteorite strewnfield and have a question:  What does the length of a strewnfield suggest about the height of breakup and the steepness of the angle... The one I've found is over 6 miles long by about half a mile wide....Any suggestions would be appreciated...Cheers, Unc

The witness fall we found is around a mile wide and three miles long. The fire-ball was the size of a VW bug at about sixty degrees. It happened either spring or fall of 2005. While out prospecting in 2008 we located the burnt lumber and the strewn field.

One you located must have come from a lower angle, and the largest ones usually travel further. Was in our case.

Unc;

I skimmed through a few pages in the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites-I do not see any clear discussion of length of strewn-field and height-of-breakup or angle of entry.

I suspect the strewn field is more determined by type of meteoroid and the size...of course altitude of breakup matters too.

I think your strewn field is likely wider than you have determined...are these chrondrites or irons...or maybe the rare and beautiful pallasite???

fred 

• Like 1

Off Subject Sorta   .     

Just a Idle mind thinking here.   The Earth is turning West to East.   Wouldn't it stand to reason more Meteorites would be found on the East side of a hill then West ?  

If don't know if Marc Fries or Rob Matson are members here but they are the masters of strewn field dynamics.  The computations involved are way above my understanding . They factor in many different aspects like angles, acoustics,  altitude, speed of entry, eye witness accounts, video and still images, Doppler radar, dark flight, etc. 

Yo Fred...Chondrites, most ranging from 25 to 100+ grams ... about a dozen+ pieces so far. counting the one counted as one meteorite that was shattered and strewn down a hill ... Couple of others have been found by other guys in the middle of the field ... One was found @214 grams ... All these are very loud on the detector...Screamers ... Deepest was about 12" ... Ninninger's reports on this meteorite were way off base...He reported it was found in 1940, but my local research indicates about 1910 ... His reported location of find also was wrong by a long ways...He got it in 1940 from a  spot about 1/2 mile from my house ...Location reported on MetBul is totally off... Cheers Unc.

• Like 3