Nugget Shooter Forums

I think I may have found the reason...

8 minutes ago, clay said:

A little bit of Elmers wood glue should get you rolling again! :th:

I'm not even going to guess how that happened Swamp.

Nor I.. When I pulled the cap the tip came along with it..

Swamp

You would be surprised that plug could probably still fire if the two pieces were close enough, but I would guess it's good reason for a rough running engine.

I'm not  Ford man but I had a 1969 Ford van at one time with a straight 6 in it and it ran great, but I figured it probably wouldn't hurt to put new plugs in it since I had owned it for over 4 years and I had not done anything to it other than change the oil, when I pull the plugs 4 of them didn't have anything left of the little L part that creates the gap to the electrode except about 1/8' of the straight part attached down near the threads and they were still firing, if I recall the gap should be around .032 and there had to be at least 3/16" between the electrode and the 1/8" bit still there, after seeing the plugs I figured a new set of points, rotor and distributor cap was in order, it ran a bit better after that, drove it for another 3 years and had over 250,000 miles on it when I got some else and still running OK which was awesome back then, now days that amount of miles or more is about normal life span of modern engines, but was exceptional back in the 70s and before!!

Here's photo of a similar 1969 van like the one I had, except mine was jacked up in the rear and had 14" wide rear tires and it had round "porthole" windows in the side above the rear wheels and it was maroon in color.

Image result for 1969 Ford van

• Like 2

That would definitely cause a misfire swamp. I bet it takes care of the issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nugget108 said:

That would definitely cause a misfire swamp. I bet it takes care of the issue.

It did..

Was an inverse Murphy's Law event too: the very first thing done (#2 cylinder..) The only way that can ever even happen is when all possible replacement parts have been purchased up-front..

Swamp

• Like 1