Nugget Shooter Forums

Another Midnight Run

Andyy

Met up with Cowkiller for a midnight hunt.  The area is one Cowkiller knew well and it had been pretty well pounded.  But... not as often with the GPZ.

It really was a gorgeous night.  While there wasn't a full moon for the best visibility, it was still cool out and not much of a wind blowing.  We split up a bit so as not to have the machines interfering and were off.   After about 2 hours I was wondering if it was going to be a real grind, because I was getting nothing but bird shot.   And then I dug up one of those noisy signals, only to see the shape of gold.  It was in the .1g range.  Now I say shape because when you're hunting with green light, you're never really sure until you shine white light on it.   Bigger gold, that's not a problem.  But the little stuff could just be a small piece of aluminum or tin.  So I bottled it up and kept hunting with the relief that at least there's probably no skunk for the night.   And continued on.  

Next area was somewhat trashy.   But I kept at it anyway.  After a while I became more active kicking stuff out of the way.  I know there's gold here and I just had to work for it.  Well no sooner than my first 10 kicks or so, I got a signal underneath one of those rocks.  4" down and I get a meaty little guy .. again in the .1g range.  

By this time Cowkiller was tearing it up also.  He had a couple of his own.  Well I continued circling back towards an area that I worked previously, for a couple more hours.  It was starting to get light.   But now the EMI really faded down and my machine was just humming along.  Only settings I had changed were to do a noise canceling for a few times.  Well I hit a real clear signal right in the middle of the path.  Started scrapping down a couple inches and the dirt turned purple red.  And yes.. another small piece of gold.  (.03g or so) So then I scooted to another area that someone had cleared in the past with a rake.  I myself had beeped this area but I double backed over since my detector was sounding so good and guess what... I missed one.  It was stuck in schist and just needed a little help being liberated.  Another small flake in the .1 range.  

So I scoot over to the next raked area and start checking that.  About that time Cowkiller comes up on my right and scares the bejesus out of me.  Well not intentionally.  But when you're out all night riding hi on gold and caffein, anything will make you jump.  We both laughed and shared our findings.   Cowkiller really did kill it with 5 pcs that weighed in around .75 grams if I remember right.  I ended with 4 pcs, and only got .39g total.  But hey... it's something and I had a lot of fun.   Always good hanging out with friends, sharing stories and coming home with a little gold to boot.  

gold.JPG

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Andyy said:

and the dirt turned purple red.  

Early bird gets the worm!

I recently  had a couple of samples tested by XRF($10 / crushed sample,.. THankyou San Diego Metal Detector and Gold Prospecting Supply)

from the same rock.  

I had grabbed this sample rock as it was a vein of pyrite/muscovite( and you never learn didly without sampling)... So the mica/pyrite part yielded no gold, via XRF analysis, but the country rock just  to the side( a red stained granite http://data.azgs.az.gov/geologic-map-of-arizona/  analyzed @ 3.6 ppm/roughly 3.6 grams/ton.

REd dirt is good:brows:

• Like 1

Nice gold Andy.  You got to combine a night hunt with a partial cool morning hunt also.  Getting out with friends is great.

Old Tom :old:

• Like 1

Nice gold Andy !!

Must be the time of year.... 

You guys weren't the only ones out last night.  :brows:

Congrats !!

Luke

Edited by LukeJ
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments, everyone.  I do really enjoy the night hunts so long as I've had my feet on the ground there before.  I've made the mistake a couple times of trying out NEW places at night.  You really want to know the topography and the geology.   Oh, and only one snake found.  Cowkiller ran across a sidewinder. :ROFL:  Me, I tend to run across more snakes during the day.  Never run into one at night (knock on wood).

Andyy

• Like 2

I use a green led light.  Its a predator light used to see animals by their eyes at night for hunting.  I obviously dont use it for hunting animals but its really good for seeing if there are mtn lions nearby.  Usually I just see racoons and javelina.  The key is the green light does not attract bugs.  Red light works too but really bothers my head after a few hours.  I use a brand called Wicked.  

1 hour ago, Andyy said:

I use a green led light.  Its a predator light used to see animals by their eyes at night for hunting.  I obviously dont use it for hunting animals but its really good for seeing if there are mtn lions nearby.  Usually I just see racoons and javelina.  The key is the green light does not attract bugs.  Red light works too but really bothers my head after a few hours.  I use a brand called Wicked.  

Thanks Andy for the information on the light.  

• Like 1

Nice nugs!  Night hunts are peaceful.
After being outside today, I think night hunts are in the future!
Its getting warm :)

• Like 1

Funny Mike.  Your finds pic looked like mine but you got some extra weight there. :thumbsupanim

Definitely not my first hunt with the GPZ.  The ZED cleaned up where my GPX5000 could not.  I am really impressed with it.  But that said, the SDC will punch a little deeper on the small stuff.  Put the two together and I don't see you missing much more than gold sand :) 

Don't mind the critters on night hunts.  Just bite'em back.  LOL

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Cowkiller said:

Hey Andy you pretty much summed it up. I will post my picture when I get home from work. The sidewinder was under a rock I moved to chase a target. Man after 20 canceled planned trips in glad I made this one... Stupid job! 

You seem to have a knack for finding snakes? :)
Tom H.

• Like 1

I heard you found a couple cows ... hence the handle :4chsmu1:

My bet is that snake was running for its life when it saw your headlights. LOL.

• Like 1

I'll never forget the trip that you found four of those rattley things doing the mating dance down below us.  Needless to say I didn't venture down there to investigate.  You seem to attract critters of all sizes Justin.  :D 

Old Tom

18 hours ago, nugget108 said:

I had to double check both pics too. 

Dang it I got busted :tisk-tisk:even though I use to post alot of my finds here years ago in the same fashion :nutty: Mike the copy cat C...:200:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike C... said:

Dang it I got busted :tisk-tisk:even though I use to post alot of my finds here years ago in the same fashion :nutty: Mike the copy cat C...:200:

Both pics we're similar and I thought I clicked the same heading again haha. Nice nuggs Mike. 

2 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Both pics we're similar and I thought I clicked the same heading again haha. Nice nuggs Mike. 

Ya thats really wierd how they both are very alike back ground-dime and arangement :nutty:To funny :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:  

• Like 2