Nugget Shooter Forums

Very Nice ... Looks like you've got potential for a bunch of valuable species...Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

I know at one time, HFL acid was easy to obtain. Has anyone tried to get any lately. Just wondering if you can still get it and if so, at what cost.

18 hours ago, homefire said:

Emmmm  Pricey.   Going to keep looking... [ snip ]

I dunno, Homie.. $2.12 / oz for Armour Etch is gonna be kinda tuff to beat, methinks.. Sure, you can probably whip together some sorta home brew, but odds are it'll be too slow, too fast and/or too runny until ya get the formulation right.. By the time you do that both cost-wise and time-wise ya may as well just buy what's already available..

Unless, of course, you're planning on inventing a competetive product -- in which case I'd like to buy in for a 20% stake, if you don't mind, that is..? :4chsmu1:

Swamp

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

I dunno, Homie.. $2.12 / oz for Armour Etch is gonna be kinda tuff to beat, methinks.. Sure, you can probably whip together some sorta home brew, but odds are it'll be too slow, too fast and/or too runny until ya get the formulation right.. By the time you do that both cost-wise and time-wise ya may as well just buy what's already available..

Unless, of course, you're planning on inventing a competetive product -- in which case I'd like to buy in for a 20% stake, if you don't mind, that is..? :4chsmu1:

Swamp

Not that excited about the stuff.  Oh, and My 59 year old fingers are still some what serviceable.    LOL

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hydrofluoric acid is aviailable at you local harware store, a product called Wink.  I called the 800 number,

on the back of the package, and talked to the chemist.  Kind of fun.  He said that the strength was either

4 or 6 percent, I forget which.  And responding to my question about acid burns, he said that they would

mix a product like Vasoline with an antacid, say Tums,  and apply that to the acid burn.  I guess just use

enough Vasoline to keep the antacid on the burn, all the time.   I also heard from a miner, that strong HF

acid, has an anesthetic effect, where you don't feel the burn, and it will burn you, until reaching bone. 

HF will dissolve quartz, and I strongly recommend the low strength stuff, but takes lots of patience.  Like

months.  And you can

drop bicarbonate into the acid, to see if it's still acid.  It fizzes. 

Anyway, while detecting on mine dumps, I tried to keep all the hot rocks, that weren't obviously magnetite,

soak them in HCL acid, and take them to the car wash and pressure wash them.  You'll figure it out. 

With all this practical info, the least you could do is visit my site. 

https://vernnord1.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Cheers. Vern

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Morlock said:

It's spelled Whink.

1 hour ago, vnord said:

Maybe Wink.

Yes it's spelled Whink, which is the company's name, the name of the product is,,,,"Whink Rust Stain Remover"

First is a link the the Safety Data Sheet, I'm posting this because of the possible hazard of using this without proper protection and safety precautions, such as heavy rubber gloves and plenty of fresh air, etc.

http://www.whink.com/cmssites/ws0811www.whink.com/uploads/Documents/SDS-Rust Stain Remover_Oct 2016.pdf

Link to the product at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Whink-Products-01081-10-Oz-Rust-Stain-Remover/21798682?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227016809904&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=51758271671&wl4=pla-83182917191&wl5=9010730&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=21798682&wl13=&veh=sem

Whink Rust Stain Remover, 10 fl oz

Yep.  Easy to get at Ace Hardware.  Can't remember what I paid but I *do* wear gloves just in case.  HF is not something you want to mess with in high percent.  I told a story (on this website) of a friend at my work that got some on her finger.  Let's just say it wasn't a pleasant experience for her.  So I am very cautious with the stuff.   

Note:

Only brown bottle Whink Rust Stain Remover contains HF..
Similarly named white bottle Whink Rust & Iron Stain Remover does not..

Swamp

Good job, with Whink.

Since I first soak my ore in HCL, any minerals that bubble, have been removed, and when I use HFL acid,

there's no bubbling.  I don't like the idea of bubbling HFL acid.   And after the pressure washing, I gave the

ore a good look, for gold.  And, if it just seems to be sulfides, I hammer the ore.  Kind of crude, but what

else do you do?   Ore that sets off a metal detector, has to be kept, soaked in acids and busted up.  Even then,

I'd leave the ore in a spot I could come back to and give them another look.

For cleaning other minerals, we used a product called "Iron out".  It's neither acid or base, but

does a good job of removing iron stains, go figure.   I know kind of a rambling post.

While I'm here, and thinking about it.  You know what I should have done, with regards to

ore that is conductive and beeps.  I should have gotten some cheap specimens of individual minerals, say a

galena or calcopyrite crystal.  Or even a gold telluride.  And tested them with my metal detector.

I really should have done that.  I even think there's a bismuth sulfide mineral, that causes

ore to beep.  Just a thought.

That depends on which detector you use. Some detectors can pick up sulfide minerals, others can't. The size of the specimens makes a difference also.

My local Walmart carries Whink. They had it on the BOTTOM shelf until I told them how dangerous it was and that it DID NOT have any seal on it. Any little kid could open it up. They moved it up higher. And, it does work good on quartz samples.

• Like 3