Nugget Shooter Forums

gps to locate gpaa claims

tomleft

Hi what is a good gps to use when looking for gpaa claims??? I have a Garmin nuvi 52 for my jeep but i cant seem to program it in with the coordinates in the mining guide. Any help would be most appreciated.... thanks,Tom

Your GPS should be able to use coordinates but I think you just need to convert the coordinates to a format that your GPS recognizes, here's a search page for online navigational coordinates converters, you should be able to find one that will convert the coordinates to what your GPS can use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=converting+navigation+coordinates&oq=CONVERTING+NAVIGATIONAL&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l4.13603j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=online+navigation+coordinates+converter

If you're still having any issues contact Garmin support for more help, they should be able to get you on the right track! (pun intended).

Edited by Au Seeker
  • Like 2

I used the Car GPS the first time I went out.  It'll get you there, but is kind of bulky and not very rugged when you have to get from the road to a corner.

I got the Gramin E-Trex 20 https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01508-00-eTrex-20x/dp/B00XQE6ZFG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494026793&sr=8-3&keywords=garmin+handheld+gps  and a case like this to keep it pretty and from getting lost https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-10314-00-eTrex-Carrying-Case/dp/B00004VX39/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00004VX39&pd_rd_r=VMJ2NH4DHEZVNWWJE8G1&pd_rd_w=iahmY&pd_rd_wg=BTbvE&psc=1&refRID=VMJ2NH4DHEZVNWWJE8G1.

The maps on the picture are not included.  I got the 100k US map card at Cabela's similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Type-TOPO-U-S-100K-Equivalent-Chart-map-perfect-for-explorers-hikers-/162458358263?hash=item25d345d1f7:g:rH8AAOSwpkFY4~5c.  Not an excuse for not having a paper map.

I can use a free app from Garmin to move points from the computer to the GPS and Back.  I've had the unit above for 4 years of good use.

• Like 3

I use the Garmin Montana 680T.  It's the pricier approach but I am sure glad to have it.  I've gotten good use out of it.  Do you need it, no?  Just make sure that you can download .kml files (bulk waypoint files) so you know where the claim corners are.  More expensive GPS units will allow you to draw in the shapes on google earth (like claim boundaries) and import them to the GPS.  Just as important, it is very easy to draw directions to get to those claims and import them to your gps, in case you're directionally challenged as I am sometimes.   And the most expensive units will allow you to overlay screenshots from google earth.  Very cool.

• Like 1

Old School here.  I have 15 year old Magellan.  Look up my spots and GooGle Earth .  Get the Coordinates.  Plug them in and follow the arrow.  LOL  No maps and keen stuff but I get there. 

• Like 1

Really Old Skool here.. The next GPS unit I get will be my first.. Of course, given where I live and the number of opportunities I have to get really lost may have something to do with that.. If those opportunities ever arose, and since the tec exists, I'd never leave home without it..

Speaking of car units, there is a feature none of the units have I'd love to see the mfg's add: An arrow and voice command indicating where the right hand lane is on 4-lane & wider highways, especially one that the voice command cannot be silenced if the vehicle has been going less than 3 mph over the speed limit for more than a mile..

Plus I have to admit it makes me slightly crazier than I already am when I roll past a vehicle at night out on the Interstates and that driver has a unit suction-cupped to the windshield that's both larger and brighter than the video screens the kids are watching in the back seats.. First off how can they even see to drive and secondly where ya gonna turn..? GEEZ..!!

Swamp

• Like 1

A guy showed me his smart phone last week..he has an app that shows his location on a map and all the blm owned land is shaded in green...I didn't look to see if it had the co-ordinances but I'm almost sure it is there somewhere....

• Like 1