Nugget Shooter Forums

Not really complanin', but (CC&CCB detecting Apr, '17) ...

... I have had better months..

This is the best beach find 01Apr -- 30Apr, '17:

Hook-Sinker-C01.jpg 

It's also one of the main reasons I no longer walk the beaches barefoot..
Monies found = all fresh drops.. Avg daily find = just under $1..
This is the worst I've seen it in, welll, ever..

Besides the facts people (locals, at least) are wising up to no longer wearing jewelry
beachside and everyplace now takes credit cards for any $$ amount, there's another
partial-at-least explaination for low recovery also in the mix as well.. Along with all the
others already on the beach, since the beginning of this year I've met two previously
unknown to me and new to the area detectorists, both of whom live in oceanside condos..
They detect daily; one AM only, the other AM & PM..

The other shoe has finally dropped.. Time to buy that deep-bodied replacement scoop
n start working the shallows again instead of just talking about doing so..

The parks etc were better in April, but just slightly.. Other than coins, the only item found
not totally junk bling was this:

Necklace01-FOD-Apr2017.jpg 

It hit as silver, but not a totally solid tone.. There's no ID or purity stamps anywhere, and
I haven't yet removed the chain to check if they both hit separately.. Don't know for sure
what the stones are either.. Could make a semi-un-educated guess as to what they are,
but that's all it would be.. This was another Field Of Dreams find, incidentally..

Soooo, yeah -- frustration level is running a bit high.. But it is what it is here; always
has been, always will be.. When the snowbirds are in town, so are a lot more metal
detectors.. Guess that's the same all over though, cos except for destination location
a lot of us are them too..

Swamp

• Like 3

16 hours ago, homefire said:

Miss the Beach thing SOME TIMES.  What machine are you running on the beaches?

Up until last spring Infinium only, Homie.. The previous fall is when I began experiencing a falsing problem, which eventually lead to the thread here about what folks were using to seal their coils.. I finally checked Garrett's web site, which is when / where I found out they were discontinuing production.. While speaking with a rep I found out all infinium parts were 35% off.. So I ordered a new Power Coil, batteries, charger etc., etc. and sent in the control box for bench charge servicing.. ( They did a fantastic job btw, pretty much repairing & replacing everything as needed.. )

In the meantime, since I knew I was going to be without a salt-water-ability detector for at least a couple of months ( which would never do, lol ) I kinda bit the bullet a bit ( and also took somewhat of a chance, truth be known ) by picking up an inexpensive multi-use-capable detector ( which is normally not the path to follow ) with beach and in-salt-water being its main chore.. I opted for an AT Pro, and can now say that after just shy of a year's worth of oceanside use the machine has not disappointed -- especally in light of what it is and selling / purchase price..

It's hit all US coin denominations in compact wet sand to a measured depth of 16", is extremely stable both in and out of the salt water, target ID is spot on when not trying to deal with multi targets at the same time ( not to mention just having ID at all is great ) and discrimination is there if one wants it ( which has proven itself useful in cases of un-masking.. ) What's not to like, especially at its price point..?

On a good day I'm guessing I can get close to another foot of depth from the Infinium.. In actuality though that's much closer to 6" -- maybe 8", which makes a big difference when one is in the water and the primary objective is jewelry.. I'll resume using it when I start getting wet again; that sucker is a beast on dry land, even when one is wearing the control box..

Swamp

PS: The Infinium performed well in AZ too, not that I got any nugs but sure did manage to dig some fairly deep holes for cartridges n the like..

Edited by Swampstomper Al

Only had a VLF when I was in Florida.  I have a DIY Barracuda PI that would had done well on the beaches.  Ordered a PCB from the UK for the MiniPulsePlus.  I had all the parts on hand so Guess I'll build one and see what I can do with it.  You can get the Sample Delay down under 10uS with the right coil.  Going to have a play at it.  May end up my back up for the GMT on seriously Messed up ground. 

Great looking necklace for sure. Hook, line and sinker not so as we find 1,000s of salmon snag rigs in the trinity and them massive treble hook rigs will ruin your day. I wear very thick dive boots and probe with a screwdriver first. Great find-kudos-John

• Like 1

21 hours ago, homefire said:

Only had a VLF when I was in Florida... [ snip ]

I have a GMT too, and it's a sin its main function down here is to gather dust.. When I bought it I truly believed we'd be able to make more trips both N & W than has ended up being the reality..

I know very little about gold distribution in NM other than the four or so 'major' locations.. I know there's a bunch of minor areas too, but no idea where they actually are.. I dunno, Homie -- I just have this feeling the GMT is gonna help you find more black sand runs for dry washing than nugs in your basic extended back yard, and there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with that.. The nugs make for good lumpy gravy.. :)

Swamp

EDIT: The word I wanted is disburse, not distribute..

Edited by Swampstomper Al

LOL, I have a ol BFO for finding Black Sand.  Plenty of smaller gold here.  Not the same situation as Arizona or Utah Californicate.  If I can ever get out I expect to do well with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, homefire said:

LOL, I have a ol BFO for finding Black Sand.  Plenty of smaller gold here.  Not the same situation as Arizona or Utah Californicate.  If I can ever get out I expect to do well with it.

Well that's pretty kewl..! I'll just assume you've tested it n know it works, so only a couple questions:
1) Guesstimation of its kHz null point..? (I'm guessing GB2 plus 20 to 50..)
2) What size coil did you build..?
3) How deep could you get on your test items..? (I'm guessing fairly shallow, but we are talking black sands here, so ya don't need deep..)

Again, very cool..!

Swamp

You talking about the BFO?   The BFO is running 350Khz..

GMT 48Khz.

Home Brew PI.  Barracuda  12uS Sample delay at variable 550 - 750 PPS.   Not  Gold Nugget Getter. 

Current coil Mono ,  8"   good on a American Nickel  9" or so.

Working on MiniPulesPlus will run under 6uS Delay,  Main Sample width 58uS  when I build a Basket Coil for it. at Variable 55O - 1000PPS.  Possible Gold Getter.  .

Coil planned.

Basket Weave.

8" Form

22 SWG  Copper Magnet Wire

311 uH

1.6 Ohm DC Resistance.

Conductive Graphite Shield.   I Normally use Copper tape but can't use it on the basket coils. 

Red Wire is Aluminum.  Works Supper well just pain to terminate.  Have to use Conductive Glue on splices.  I use PCB Silver Content Track Repair.  Just messing around with this stuff.  I have a pile of it and looking for a use.

0206171158.jpg

0206171202.jpg

XCoil2.jpg

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

350kHz?  Wow.  I wonder why that super high frequency isn't used anymore.   Must be because the ground gives too much feedback at the high frequencies.  GB2 is what ... 71Khz or so.   No wonder it rules for small gold.

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 1

350 kHz..?!! Wow..! That's right up there fer sure..!

And when you said home brew I wasn't expecting to see a form -- I was expecting to see a plywood sammich.. You ain't messin' around, Homie, I don't care what you say, lol..!

Hey, can't you lower the kHz by unwrapping a bit off the, what's it called? -- reference spool..? Reference coil.. Just askin' is all.. You must have spooled it up that hot for a reason..

Swamp

Old School BFO.    The Ground minerals absorbs that most well.  Lucky to find coins at 5 inches with a six inch coil but that's what they did.   Still tell you were da black sand is most well.

That form you see is a Knitting form for making hats re purposed.  Like they was thinking of us making coils.   They can be had as a set.  The Pegs are removable.  All the perfect sizes you could ask for making coils.   Includes four neon-bright round looms: Pink 9-1/2" diameter, 41 pegs; orange 8-1/2" diameter 36 pegs; lime 6-1/2" diameter 31 pegs; blue 4-1/2" diameter 24 pegs .    My set has a 11" form too.  I think you can get them even larger.

You can use them to make DD coil too.  Just use half the pegs +1.   9  .   Don't need to bend the made coil to form. 

I get the Coil Shells from a guy on GeoTech.

Retuning the BFO to a lower freq is simple enough.  You raise the CAP values on the Local Oscillator and Search Oscillators.  In my case If it's not broke don't fix it.  BFO Detectors are Simple to make.   Make One.  Not worth a chit on wet beach.  Kids have fun with them.  That's what I started with about 1972.  LOL

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Andyy said:

350kHz?  Wow.  I wonder why that super high frequency isn't used anymore.   Must be because the ground gives too much feedback at the high frequencies.  GB2 is what ... 71Khz or so.   No wonder it rules for small gold.

High Frequencies are Absorbed by the Ground more then a Feed back issue  with a VLF.  Ground minerals are more of a issue . The meneralization can mask a target response.  That is why Coin machines are down in the 5-8Khz range.  Gold Sucks at responding to Magnetic Fields .   Higher Freqs gets over that .   In a PI machine you have to Sample as Fast as Possible after the Tx shuts off to see Small Gold..   Other wise the Eddy Currents pumped into the gold are history when the detector samples and looks for a Response.

• Like 1