Nugget Shooter Forums

Nevada Road Reports?

I've got a close friend who spent the winter at BM, running a project at Midas. He said there were days the road to the mine got cut by mountain runoff. They had a big snow winter down there this winter, and it's been a really wet April in the northern Rockies, too. I haven't been down there, but I can imagine the two-tracks are in rough shape. I'm at 4,500' here and there was light snow on the ground this morning. There are flood watches all over because of the huge snowpack.....just waiting on warm temps to get it moving.

Jim

Thanks Jim. It looks like there is still snow on the ground in Winnemucca. What I'm really curious about are the access roads to Rye Patch and the Eugene Mtns. Can one even cross the river at Mill City? Does anyone know? 

When I lived there a few years ago the roads in that area where very sloppy and slippery when wet. but I think when it dries a bit its going to be good hunting. can't wait. :4chsmu1:AzNuggetBob

3 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

Can one even cross the river at Mill City? Does anyone know? 

Did they ever fix that bridge? I can recall a few years times when they shut it down and I'd have to go all the way to Imlay to get into the Eugene mtns from Mill City.

Morlock, the bridge at Mill City has always worked for me, at least until now. I have no idea what was going on there before maybe 2012 and I have no idea what to expect this year with the flooding. I do know that at one time they re-opened the Tungsten mine and fixed up the road. Maybe they fixed and reopened the bridge at that time. 
Bob, I do know that the deepest ruts I have ever seen in my life were between lunker hill and the Pronto crossing. Someone with a bad case of gold fever must have made those ruts. It was bone dry when I went through there but I doubt it would be wise this year. 

Edited by Dakota Slim

1 hour ago, weaver hillbille said:

Globull Warming!:ROFL::ROFL::cry2::cry2::tisk-tisk::4chsmu1::arrowheadsmiley::idunno::evil1::brows:

Hillbille, I just arrived in Winnemucca and the Intellicast Snow Cover map is full of BS. There is snow on the top of the mountain but nothing in town. 
There is LOTS of water in the lowlands by the river. 

Slim,

I'm headed to the Eugenes on Tuesday. We were in Winnemucca yesterday and I don't think you can cross the bridge from Mill city. Just hear say though. Jungo looked good. That's the way I'm going in. All other roads are pretty decent other than being rough.

Dan

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Slim,

I'm headed to the Eugenes on Tuesday. We were in Winnemucca yesterday and I don't think you can cross the bridge from Mill city. Just hear say though. Jungo looked good. That's the way I'm going in. All other roads are pretty decent other than being rough.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Good luck out there.

4 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

Morlock, the bridge at Mill City has always worked for me, at least until now. I have no idea what was going on there before maybe 2012 and I have no idea what to expect this year with the flooding. I do know that at one time they re-opened the Tungsten mine and fixed up the road. Maybe they fixed and reopened the bridge at that time. 

Slim

When I was in that area, the mine at tungsten wasn't operating and the bridge was closed. When the mine reopened, no doubt that bridge was fixed, either by the mine operator or the county. That was a real pain in the ass having to get back into the Eugene mtns from Mill City via Imlay. The back stretch had to be some of the worst driving when the road was muddy. I saw a 4wd get stuck once.

1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

Thanks Dan. Good luck out there.

Thanks you too.

On 4/30/2017 at 4:48 PM, Dakota Slim said:

LOTS of water in the lowlands by the river. 

Glowbull warming:D

• Like 1

The Humboldt river does not start in Winnemucca - it starts high in mountains a long ways away to the east. That is where the snow is. The feds are also releasing water from reservoirs all over to prevent flooding problems this spring. Both the Humboldt in Winnemucca and the Truckee running through Reno are very high from run off and reservoir release. The desert flat south of Fallon is a giant lake. Rye Patch reservoir is full and as high as I've ever seen it. The record levels a of snow that fell in Nevada and California have to go somewhere - in Nevada it cant flow to the sea. The dirt roads in Northern Nevada were damaged by rains in many places - not everywhere, but many places.

• Like 1

You're right, Chris. The Humboldt actually starts close to Wells, NV, which originally was named Humboldt Wells, for the several springs in the area. We got way more than normal snow here, too. but, our desert roads are in really good shape, which was a big surprise to me. I imagine the worst roads everywhere will be the ones that run along the base of a mountain range...the runoff has, or is going to, cut those roads at every canyon mouth.

Jim

• Like 1

Wife and I are watching this as well. Planning on a long weekend at Dusty's as staging for the Eugenes and Black Mt. With LR2000 down, how can you run section reports for Active claims?

38 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

Wife and I are watching this as well. Planning on a long weekend at Dusty's as staging for the Eugenes and Black Mt. With LR2000 down, how can you run section reports for Active claims?

The LR2000 is still up and working.

If you are looking for a mapping solution like the old geocommunicator go to Land Matters Mining Claims Maps. Those claims maps are updated twice a month the most recent update was this Monday. They are free and show the current PLSS and Land Management.

Edited by clay
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, clay said:

The LR2000 is still up and working.

If you are looking for a mapping solution like the old geocommunicator go to Land Matters Mining Claims Maps. Those claims maps are updated twice a month the most recent update was this Monday. They are free and show the current PLSS and Land Management.

Sent a PM.

Good roads, good weather but no gold. Next time. Enjoy your trips.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

Clay, your site is the one I am using. Probably not doing something right.

I checked the Serial Register page database for the claims history in your area of interest. The few claims that were there previously were abandoned by their previous owners.

The current claims status from Land Matters and the LR2000 both show no current ACTIVE status claims.

The Master Title Plat shows no encumbrances on the minerals or surface. You can get a copy of the MTP from the Land Matters Land Status Map.

The Humbolt County Recorder in Winnemucca has online access to recordings as recent as April 27. You can check for new location notices there. Stop by the recorder's office on your way to Dusti's and check for anything new. When you get boots on the ground look for recent location notices before you prospect. That's a lot easier in the desert but it still helps to carry a small spotting scope to look around.

There is a LOT of ground that isn't claimed up. Sometimes it can be good ground or it can be nada. I guess that's why they call it prospecting. I hope you selected good ground tp prospect. :D

Best of luck on your trip!

Barry

p.s. No you can't prospect someone's lode claim without their permission. (Read Section 3 in the linked mining law)

• Like 1

Clay, I feel pretty lucky, last year it was 15 minutes from boots on the ground to my first piece. Got to be that easy everywhere right? lol.

By-the-way, thanks for all the great work on your site.

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 1

I ran into Pegleg John in Winnemucca today. He said the bridge at Mill City is open. There is about 3 inches of water on the road by the river and the roads are rough (still ungraded) but passable, 

• Like 1