Nugget Shooter Forums

Some Eastern USA Au..

Since it's been sooo slow lately in the forums here I figured I'd post up a couple Au photos typical of what comes out of NC streams in proximity of the LDMA property near Morganton..

I realize this is gold dust residue on the boots of y'all western big game fortunates, but to those who live in areas out your way where dry washing is the best method of recovery, welll, y'all know what I'm talking about when I say we'll take these nice chunky bits all night and all day.. This is from three or four sample pans a few years back and will test out around 22k / 93% Au..

As the price of nearly everything continues spiraling skyward it made me sad when I finally had to accept as factual the expense of making trips to even my nearest worthwhile gold-bearing locations became cost-prohibitive to the point there really is no choice other than to let the fever gnaw at my bones most of the time.. And try as I might, detecting the beaches, parks and other places both local and quasi-local to me simply doesn't cut it as a substitute / replacement for dipping a pan / setting up a sluice..

I guess what I'm trying to say is never take for granted living on or near gold-bearing ground, because regardless how slim one feels local pickings may be it sure beats the snot out of no pickings at all..

RestartAndSnuffers3XVial.jpg 

RestartAndSnuffers3X.jpg 

RestartAndSnuffers6X_1.jpg 

Swamp

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Idaho Jim said:

That'd be big gold on the Snake River in my area! Wish we had gold like that.

Jim

Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.. :)

When I chose the vial shot I didn't think it had been magnified, but when it posted it's the same magnification as the middle photo -- approx 3x.. The last photo is at least 6x, likely a bit more.. The 'big piece' is the only one that didn't fall through a 20 mesh screen.. My intention when I originally took the photos was to record the character of this tiny Au.. So unless what you're capturing is glacial gold, which I assume is at least a possibility up your way, the two are probably much closer in size than the photos make this seem..

Swamp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Al, Lucky Strike or Thermal City?

Neither, Skip -- It's from the other side of the hill..

When Shay first started GPOC we had that private property access to Silver Creek for a couple of years.. This is from there..

You know, I don't believe I have any gold taken from the 2nd Broad River.. ( NOTE: Lucky Strike and Thermal City are both pay-for-plays located just S off of I-40 on NC Rt 221 and along the Second Broad River.. )

I've never been to Lucky Strike at all and have only ever been at Thermal City once for actually giving it a go, although have stopped by several times either en route to or returning from other locations to see who's there, say hello etc.. Lloyd does allow panning, sluicing and dredging of the river on his property, but if you buy material to run or just want to play from the pile by the panning stations it isn't from the river; it's from that huge placer on the other side of the highway they've been tapping into for four or five generations.. I don't know where / how Lucky Strike sources theirs..

Swamp

Nice gold Al....   :thumbsupanim

It all adds up.  If you're having fun gathering it up...  All the better.

:D

Luke

• Like 1

Nice gold. A buddy of mine from Indiana gets about the same amount in three months panning for glacial gold. At one time, he figured he was making about 65 cents an hour. 

• Like 1

Well swamp I sure as heck wouldn't throw it back lol. Im happy with any color, and thats a good amount. The fun is in finding it right? Pretty looking stuff bud.

Dan

• Like 1

Miss those days.

Sure the gold was small but there was nothing better than the cold water in the middle of August.

A break for a few brewskis and a nap under an oak...

• Like 1

Yes most of the gold out this way is small/fines, but not all, a fellow gold getter in N.C. has been working several pay streaks on a small creek looking for the source running a 2 1/2" dredge and usually gets 1 to 2 grams in 3 to 4 hours which usually includes a few small pickers, yesterday he thought he would finish up the last few feet of the latest streak as it seemed to be running out and was left speechless when he did his cleanup, he got 5 1/2 grams in 3 hours and in 4 feet of bedrock, I think he's getting close to where  the gold is coming from!!!:yesss:

This gold is coming from at least 75 miles eastward of where the gold Al posted came from and usually doesn't have as many good gold deposits as where the gold Al posted is from, so as it's been said "gold is where you find it".

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Nice gold Al....   :thumbsupanim

It all adds up.  If you're having fun gathering it up...  All the better.

:D

Luke

4 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Well swamp I sure as heck wouldn't throw it back lol. Im happy with any color, and thats a good amount. The fun is in finding it right? Pretty looking stuff bud.

Dan

2 hours ago, Hoser John said:

Sure beats the skunk-kudos-John :thumbsupanim

18 hours ago, Terry Soloman said:

That is nice gold no matter where you're hunting - Congrats!

52 minutes ago, MacGump said:

Miss those days.

Sure the gold was small but there was nothing better than the cold water in the middle of August.

A break for a few brewskis and a nap under an oak...

This, this, this, this and this, exactly..!

Swamp

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Au Seeker said:

Yes most of the gold out this way is small/fines, but not all, a fellow gold getter in N.C. has been working several pay streaks on a small creek looking for the source running a 2 1/2" dredge and usually gets 1 to 2 grams in 3 to 4 hours which usually includes a few small pickers, yesterday he thought he would finish up the last few feet of the latest streak as it seemed to be running out and was left speechless when he did his cleanup, he got 5 1/2 grams in 3 hours and in 4 feet of bedrock, I think he's getting close to where  the gold is coming from!!!:yesss:

This gold is coming from at least 75 miles eastward of where the gold Al posted came from and usually doesn't have as many good gold deposits as where the gold Al posted is from, so as it's been said "gold is where you find it".

Amazing -- and that has to be Flash..

It certainly was a bummer when the first creek he / they had been working got all the gold blown out a couple years ago during the spring high water onslaught, and it didn't appear the other creek on the property was going to produce much when it first started getting worked, but this photo is telling a whole different story for sure..! He is still working that one, right..? Geez, I've been away from "our" forum for too long..

Since we have no idea where he's actually working, that is tremendous recovery for where he lives.. But if he's coming back westward toward Charlotte to get to the private property his odds for good recovery increases exponentially.. I'd guesstimate it's 150 miles from Dysertsville to his home, but if he's working about 75 miles away that'd bring him into the New London - Concord area, Carabbus or Stanley County -- and that area is nicely loaded with Au..

I, for one, am glad to see he hit something nice (I am assuming this is flash's work..) He always had faith that location held promise, and he's spent three or four years hunting for a source feeding those two streams.. Looks like he's now within breathing distance of one.. Good for him..! :yesss: 

Swamp

Yes it's Flash, I'm pretty sure they're still working the same creek for the last year or so, there's been no mention I've read in their frequent reports of moving to another location and it is private property, not sure where it is. I'm just guessing on the 75 miles eastwards part since he lives nears Durham, I figure he working somewhere west of there since I have not heard of much if any gold from around the Durham area.

They could be working in the Uwharrie NF or nearby which indeed does have many good gold deposits.

• Like 1

I didn't think you could dredge in Uwharrie.

Here's my 50 pieces of junk detecting today in central AZ.  No gold.  I think someone got to this wash a couple of years before me.

CAM00360.jpg

Edited by chrisski
Spelling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisski said:

I didn't think you could dredge in Uwharrie.

Here's my 50 pieces of junk detecting today in central AZ.  No gold.  I think someone got to this watch a couple of years before me.

CAM00360.jpg

There are many private property parcels within the boundaries of the Uwharrie NF and as such you can dredge on the private property if you have permission to be there from the property owners.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chrisski said:

Here's my 50 pieces of junk detecting today in central AZ.  No gold.  I think someone got to this wash a couple of years before me

Most of that stuff seems older than a couple of years.  Looks like a practice arrow tip indicating kids might be going there close to home.  Lead looks old and steel pull tab is from a ways back.  That stretch hasn't been beeped for quite a while I'd say.  Most of that stuff looks heavy and might of come from the gut of the wash.  Try going back and do a thorough examination of the banks of the wash.  Lighter stuff gets kicked up on sides during  heavy gully washers. 

Old Tom  :old:  

• Like 2

Tom--

Thanks.  I probably go to the same area you do, I just don't have as good of luck as you.

There's some good benches in that wash.  I did not detect those.  I just stuck to the main wash.  I am thinking of going back with a drywasher and running the material from the benches through there.  Even the benches are relatively shallow to bedrock.

It's definitely in the center of a gold bearing area.  It's the flattest area I've prospected on yet.

You made me look at it again--Bailing wire, we don't use that out in the field anymore.  Definitely right about the pull tops.  Haven't used those in decades in the states, but some of the countries I went to had them up to about 5 years ago. The bigger brown square one is a pull top from one of the old time tin cans.

That material came from an area about 200 meters long.

22 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear.. :)

When I chose the vial shot I didn't think it had been magnified, but when it posted it's the same magnification as the middle photo -- approx 3x.. The last photo is at least 6x, likely a bit more.. The 'big piece' is the only one that didn't fall through a 20 mesh screen.. My intention when I originally took the photos was to record the character of this tiny Au.. So unless what you're capturing is glacial gold, which I assume is at least a possibility up your way, the two are probably much closer in size than the photos make this seem..

Swamp

I was just comparing it to the coin. Our gold here is a little bigger than the smallest in your pic. It isn't hard to find, just tiny. It doesn't sink much...just floats along in the water column, and ends up on the sandbars.

Jim

• Like 1

I've had the pleasure for the last year to work this spot with Flash, I'll answer what I can.

Our old spot didn't get blown out but we have obviously found better and we mostly worked out the good stretch that we had access to at the old spot.

Flash gets out a lot more than I am able, but we work well together and give each other status updates and lessons learned after each trip whether we're out together or solo. We are enjoying putting the puzzle together as much as finding the gold. We have dug test holes adjacent to the creek, only yielding micro gold. We've read the geology as best we can and although this gold is fairly coarse, it is actually just worn enough that we still believe the source is further upstream. 

As with all spots it definitely comes and goes. In fact just two weeks ago we couldn't even manage .20gram for a days worth dredging. So the last cleanup is certainly not the norm, I'd still guess our average is around .75gram/3-4hrs nozzle time, although we've both had some better stretches lately. I had set the one day record at 2.49grams in Feb and he just smashed with with the 5.5gram cleanup and earned every bit of it.

We will continue to work upstream, so far we've uncovered one section of bedrock with pyrite cubes and one small quartz vein that yielded chlorite, but no gold and we're now upstream of both, and nothing seen that Ive gotten excited about as far as a producing vein. We will also be getting a gpx4500 over the area soon.

As to where we're working, I've seen fairly big gold as far west as Murphy, NC and as far east as the Portis Mine area NE of Raleigh and many many places in b/t. So yeah, we're in between those two : )

In summary, it's been a pleasure to have a good digging partner, it's been fun trying to learn the creek, and the best part; re-setting the bar for gold take, next goal is to find a 2gram+ piece.

Dave

• Like 2

8 hours ago, greendave41 said:

I've had the pleasure for the last year to work this spot with Flash, I'll answer what I can.

Our old spot didn't get blown out but we have obviously found better and we mostly worked out the good stretch that we had access to at the old spot.

Flash gets out a lot more than I am able, but we work well together and give each other status updates and lessons learned after each trip whether we're out together or solo. We are enjoying putting the puzzle together as much as finding the gold. We have dug test holes adjacent to the creek, only yielding micro gold. We've read the geology as best we can and although this gold is fairly coarse, it is actually just worn enough that we still believe the source is further upstream. 

As with all spots it definitely comes and goes. In fact just two weeks ago we couldn't even manage .20gram for a days worth dredging. So the last cleanup is certainly not the norm, I'd still guess our average is around .75gram/3-4hrs nozzle time, although we've both had some better stretches lately. I had set the one day record at 2.49grams in Feb and he just smashed with with the 5.5gram cleanup and earned every bit of it.

We will continue to work upstream, so far we've uncovered one section of bedrock with pyrite cubes and one small quartz vein that yielded chlorite, but no gold and we're now upstream of both, and nothing seen that Ive gotten excited about as far as a producing vein. We will also be getting a gpx4500 over the area soon.

As to where we're working, I've seen fairly big gold as far west as Murphy, NC and as far east as the Portis Mine area NE of Raleigh and many many places in b/t. So yeah, we're in between those two : )

In summary, it's been a pleasure to have a good digging partner, it's been fun trying to learn the creek, and the best part; re-setting the bar for gold take, next goal is to find a 2gram+ piece.

Dave

Dave thanks for stopping by and posting more info on yours and Flash's operation!!:thumbsupanim

Now that you've posted where ya'll are working:200:, Al and I will swing by and help ya'll a bit,:4chsmu1: it might take us a few years to find ya'll :89:but we be there ASAP to give a helping hand!!:brows:

• Like 1

Hey lets talk about North Georgia's Gold, lets not forget about Dahlonega. Ive got a friend that owns some of the best original patented mines there.
The color and Karat of the gold is fantastic. All the gold is not out west, and any gold, beats a skunk. out here in the deserts, If you cant swing it, drywash it.

Lot's of fine gold out there.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

Bob most people in my neck of the woods would rather go to N.C. to seek gold because there's more public access to gold bearing land, streams and rivers, it's not the case in Georgia, very limited public access to gold bearing areas, most of the areas that are accessible to the public are usually control by the USACE (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers) and they only allow "Hands and Pans" prospecting, no shovels, trowels, dredges, sucker tubes, metal detectors, etc., you have to dig all your material with only your hands, if I remember correctly they will let you use a classifier and maybe a sluice, there's also more gold bearing areas in N.C. than in Georgia.

North Carolina law uses the Navigable Waterway laws which means you can go up and down any river or stream that is a Navigable Waterway even if the banks are private property, that being said it's sometimes hard if not impossible to convince a rural gun toting property owner or a rural LEO the waterway itself up to the high water mark is public property, in Georgia that doesn't seem to be the case waterways coursing through private property is seen as private and no access up and down stream.

The gold in Georgia and North Carolina are both really close in comparison as far as purity goes.

Both states do allow the use of up to a 5" dredge without any permits

That being said both states have more gold on private property than there is on public land so anytime you can get permission for private property is a BIG plus in getting good gold, but that permission is hard to come by as most property owners will not grant that permission unless they know or gets to know you personally.