Nugget Shooter Forums

New prospecting tool....

54 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

My new transportation and camp base for river mouth explorations  :tisk-tisk:...don't know if it runs or not....tires are rotten....wood deck may last a few more years...lots and lots of work to do...I think I may need counseling....:th:

001.JPG

LOL onna may need counseling.. 

But seriously -- I assume it was already parked in your lot..? And I also have to assume you got it good n cheap, like maybe for past storage fees or labor trade on your part..? Otherwise why would you get something that one of its two main components is an operational motor and you don't know if it even runs..?

I understand the allure and realize the functionability in regard to your planned usage.. What I don't understand is any sort of more-than-minimal investment in something that'll most likely end up costing at least as much as if not more than a similar item in operational condition..

So please tell me that's all you have invested in it..

Swamp

• Like 1

As long as the pontoons are sealed your good to go.  You can slap a Minn kota on there and puttz around all day.  Used boat motors ain't that hard to come by.

You can get them moving with just about any set up.

Just depends on how fast ya want to get there I guess.  LOL

Edited by homefire
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

But seriously -- I assume it was already parked in your lot..? And I also have to assume you got it good n cheap, like maybe for past storage fees or labor trade on your part..? Otherwise why would you get something that one of its two main components is an operational motor and you don't know if it even runs..?

I understand the allure and realize the functionability in regard to your planned usage.. What I don't understand is any sort of more-than-minimal investment in something that'll most likely end up costing at least as much as if not more than a similar item in operational condition..

I got it cheap for around here...$2K, yes it's been sitting in the yard for the two years I've been here, but he didn't owe any back fees...the guy is a really nice guy.  His wife died about 6 yrs. ago and he lost interest....his son just got in a really bad accident and he had to take on a second job...(lots of bills) I offered and he accepted. I'm good with it.

I fiddled with it a  little yesterday and got it to turn over... 150 lbs. compression in both cylinders, but no spark...now to chase down the electron gremlins...the ignition switch got my attention right away...when I first turned the key, there was nothing...no clicks, ticks....nada.  After maybe a dozen turns of the key, the engine started turning. :yesss: (it actually kind of startled me) Seeing as how it's been sitting unprotected all these years, I'll start there and work towards the motor.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, homefire said:

As long as the pontoons are sealed your good to go.  You can slap a Minn kota on there and puttz around all day.  Used boat motors ain't that hard to come by.

You can get them moving with just about any set up.

The pontoons are in great shape. :yesss:  I have a good running 15 hp Evinrude two stroke, but I'm optimistic the motor that's on it will be fine...I'd have to adapt it to remote control, but that shouldn't be too hard. I'll have it in the lake before June.

• Like 2

Sorta always wanted a Pontoon boat.  When in Turkey some guys in the Detachment made one out of two C-130 wing tanks. Painted the Shark Smile and all. Terrorized Adana Lake most well with it.   Man that thing would Getty UP an Go with a Merc 75.

fuel-tank-c-130.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

lots and lots of work to do...I think I may need counseling....

:4chsmu1: The first step is admitting that a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into...

• Like 1

NEW LAW just passed in Arseafornia that you need a BOAT license and must go to classes to obtain-which costs and the license on top of registration fees, lake entry fees, fish license fees and of coarse lets not forget them horrendous parking your truck/trailor fees also....CENSORED-John

mfm2 -- As long as you're good with it that's all that really matters..

WH -- The complete definition of 'boat' ( bōt ) is: A hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one throws money..

LipCa -- Good / interesting information.. Simply the fact a pontoon boat is a "foundation", even without any actual living quarters, qualifies it for the exemption..?

Swamp

Miss my ol Low Line John Boat.  Had some good times in that thing. Anything that floats with a person over 10Ft gets registered here.  like $8.00 a year is all I paid.  Trailer Tags about the same. 

6 hours ago, Hoser John said:

NEW LAW just passed in Arseafornia that you need a BOAT license and must go to classes to obtain-which costs and the license on top of registration fees, lake entry fees, fish license fees and of coarse lets not forget them horrendous parking your truck/trailor fees also....CENSORED-John

I've got a "Poppy Pass"  one of the benefits of old age...boat fee for any Federal area is $5.00...I had a yearly pass last year...IIRC, it was under $50 for us old farts....GOOD NEWS!!!.... I just came in after cleaning up the ignition switch and getting it started...I disconnected the fuel line & let it burn the gas out...it sounds good....NOW I can order the water pump rebuild kit...I'm pretty sure it wasn't pumping, but I'm not sure where its "pee" hole is...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

WH -- The complete definition of 'boat' ( bōt ) is: A hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one throws money..

:D I stand corrected.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, weaver hillbille said:

:D I stand corrected.

Heyyy -- We just need to get him to change subject matter is all..
This'll work:
The first step is admitting that a maelstrom is a hole in the water you throw money into.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

55 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

...GOOD NEWS!!!.... I just came in after cleaning up the ignition switch and getting it started...I disconnected the fuel line & let it burn the gas out...it sounds good....NOW I can order the water pump rebuild kit...I'm pretty sure it wasn't pumping, but I'm not sure where its "pee" hole is...

That is good news..!

What mfg / size / year motor..?

Swamp

56 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

That is good news..!

What mfg / size / year motor..?

Swamp

It's a 1973 Kayot...the motor is a 50 hp 1972 Evinrude....I have a 1996 Johnson 2 stroke that runs great...I'm gonna mount it as a trolling/backup motor....they both use the same fuel connector...this summer might turn out to be my best in years...:yesss:

• Like 1

Should have been out last year before the lakes came up. I was thinking about hitting all the gulleys and drainages back up on New Melones and Don Pedro but all I have is a sail boat.

Also been pushing an idea around in my head of converting an old pontoon boat to be powered via a quad. RORO (roll on, roll off) ramp to get aboard and drive into a shallow well where the rear wheels would drive the shaft, front wheels articulate the rudder. Beach it and drive off to explore.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2017 at 6:23 PM, LipCa said:

Swamp, Looks like a houseboat to me....

This is a houseboat: 
Houseboat01.jpg 

And this is a houseboat: 
Houseboat02.jpg 

But then again, so's this: 
Houseboat03.jpg 

Guess you're right.. I stand corrected..
Heyyy, wait a minute -- I didn't make
a statement, I asked a question..!
Siiggghhhh, flim-flammed again.. :arrowheadsmiley: :4chsmu1:

Swamp

GeoJack you need a permit to metal detect at Don Pedro and can be obtained by going to their website...  Not sure about New Melones......either way the  fishing is good.

I had to dig a hole to throw money into in order to buy my boat ---a Boulton 20 ft with off shore bracket....the boat itself it cheap to keep with two four stroke motors on it.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2017 at 10:34 AM, GeoJack said:

Also been pushing an idea around in my head of converting an old pontoon boat to be powered via a quad. RORO (roll on, roll off) ramp to get aboard and drive into a shallow well where the rear wheels would drive the shaft, front wheels articulate the rudder. Beach it and drive off to explore.

A paddle wheel would be easy to do....so would a front loading ramp...