Nugget Shooter Forums

12 hours ago, Andyy said:

I never thought I would be so excited to see someone pull an anchor out of the ocean.  But I can feel their passion!!  Awesome!

It's like finding that patch that others went right over.  Priceless!!

I'm posting a link that exemplifies what Andyy just said -- let's call it the "So near yet so far" syndrome: 

http://abcnews.go.com/US/treasure-hunters-retrieve-45-million-gold-coins-sunken/story?id=33204481

Over the past seven years I've walked past and detected this exact spot close to two dozen times, at least as far as low tide would allow that is, with nary a hint of a whispered hit of any sort.. Of course, as you'll see in the vid I could have been standing directly on top of it and most likely wouldn't have gotten any sort of reading anyhow due to depth.. These gents only got to it due to a fortunate blind luck "let's punch a prop wash hole here today" choice, which doesn't take away one bit from the fact they're out there every day possible working their butts off either doing this or other search / recovery techniques..

The gentleman at the podium is the actual lease holder, purchased from Mel's estate a buncha years ago..

Swamp

• Like 1

Wow Swamp.  Thanks for sharing the video.   So you believe you were actually over the exact same spot when the tide went out?    I wonder what technology they used to home in on that position.  You mention a "prop wash hole".   I'm sure it's a dumb question, but what is this?   Similar to a drill hole bore samples made on land?  Just curious.

• Like 1

Andy marine savage and treasure hunters use a large 90 degree elbow to divert the force of the propeller wash downwards to wash/flush away the sand to uncover items buried in the sand.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Andyy said:

Wow Swamp.  Thanks for sharing the video.   So you believe you were actually over the exact same spot when the tide went out?    I wonder what technology they used to home in on that position.  You mention a "prop wash hole".   I'm sure it's a dumb question, but what is this?   Similar to a drill hole bore samples made on land?  Just curious.

What Skip said..

I should have been a bit more clear about 'exact spot' Andyy, meaning how close I was and/or as close as one could get without getting wet prior to anyone knowing this spill was even there.. ( The vid is about low tide on a very calm day.. If you would like a broader view of where the boat is approx, bring up Google Earth & face southish at about 180' or lower elevation: 27deg 44' 28" N 80deg 22' 58" W, or type in 'wabasso fl' then zoom in & down about 1 mi S from where Rte 510 ends after crossing A1A.. )

Swamp

EDIT: Here's my screen capture from this location: 

TreasureShipGoldLocationWabasso2015_02.j 

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 4