Nugget Shooter Forums

Plant fossil ID please.

A mammoth tooth has the lines running across it as in the picture.  It looks similar to teeth that I have seen.  It is quite flat as most are 4-7 inches tall and 3 inches wide and about 6 inches long.   It looks like either a back tooth or the top of a molar. 

• Like 2

Wow pondmn thx. I am so stoked about this. Ive had it since February this year. Just knew it had to be some thing so i put it with my favorites. Searched Google but had no luck so i forgot about it till this morning. Can you tell me if there is a safe way to remove the off white stuff ? Or should i leave it ? ✌

Sorry to rain on the Mammoth tooth parade but you have found a very nice fossil palm frond segment.  You can see some of the fibers running vertically in some of the segments.  I bet it is of the "Green River Formation".  Did you find it in North-Western CO?  like others have posted, don't clean it, leave it as is.  It is a very nice sample.  Great find!

• Like 3

Thx 4meter. As you said cool find none the less. Yes NW Colorado. I'd have to say about 8 miles from Utah border as Dinosaur is only 3 miles from border. I put it back in my box for now so its safe. ✌

• Like 1