Nugget Shooter Forums

Detector Hydropack---Heads Up!

adam

For the minimalist , 

I just noticed this pack on closeout through La Police gear.  There was a model with non-padded shoulder straps, and one with a padded version. According to the Q&A , this is the padded version.I wouldn`t recommend the non padded version.  This would be a killer pack if you only want to carry a couple essentials, it comes with the Omega 100oz bladder which is worth the price of the whole pack.

I own the Camelbak Hawg, and have owned the Camelbak MULE. They are likely the finest built packs for the price.

This is a screaming deal at 34.99

http://www.lapolicegear.com/co-camelbak-ambush-60066.html#qa

• Like 6

I am looking for another one to use with my ZED.  I don't use the minelab pack as I would also have to throw my camelpack over this.  

The current camelpack I carry allows me to hook on my hipstick to the shoulderstrap.  Works great, but it is now on its last leg.  Back to searching...  I can't really tell if this one has a shoulder hook for the bungee/hip stick.  Anyone know?

Edited by Andyy

I have a camelback almost exactly the same and have used it for ten years now.  Mine has a plastic loop to hook stuff to.  In the questions, I found this, "There are no specific connectors for a plate carrier however, with some creativity you can use blackhawk kit carribeners and the loops on the shoulder straps to attach it."

• Like 1

Make sure you have a lot of water in your truck. your going to need it. AzNuggetBob

Im a big fan of hydro packs. In the 80's we did it it with canteens. AzNuggetBob

19 hours ago, Andyy said:

I can't really tell if this one has a shoulder hook for the bungee/hip stick.  Anyone know?

Out of the three Camelbak ( military line) that I have owned, each one has always had at least one nylon D ring at or near the top of the shoulder. However, I can not confirm that for this particular model.

7 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Make sure you have a lot of water in your truck. your going to need it. AzNuggetBob

Yes bob, this bag has minimal real estate for extra water, or a lot of additional items.... Very Minimalist, as stated above. It will fit a specific need though.

43 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

How the holy heck do you get the water to taste like something other than hose in a bladder pack? I like the idea, but it always tastes so darn rubbery I can't drink it. :vomit-smiley-011[1]:

Personally , after 8 years of using the Camelbak Hydration Systems, I have never experienced that problem. I suspect that issue, is with lesser quality products.

Edited by adam
  • Like 2

Just now, ArcticDave said:

How the holy heck do you get the water to taste like something other than hose in a bladder pack? I like the idea, but it always tastes so darn rubbery I can't drink it. :vomit-smiley-011[1]:

Dave the only time I had that problem is when I  stored it with water in it.? Hang it upside down with the cap off when not in use. also don't use flavored drinks in it.  AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Dave ... Initially i clean with a solution of bleach and warm water. That kills all the bacteria ... some of which contribute to the foul taste. The next bath is Peroxide and warm water. Be sure that it gets into the tube and mouth piece. Finally a mixture of baking soda and warm water premixed in a 2 quart pitcher. I use about a half of a standard size box of Arma nd Hammer Backing Soda to the 2 quarts of warm water ... once all is dissolved pour into the bladder and again be sure solution gets into the tube and mouth piece. I let this sit overnight if possible. That is my extreme wash and sanitize program. Minor washing between freshwater fills is the peroxide and water solution left over night and well rinsed before I put as many ice cubes as possible and finish the fill with fresh water ... and off I go with a days worth of cool fresh water. This routine may be over kill but I don't have the rubber taste you refer to. on ocassion I will add a little flavor to the water by way of "Real Lemon" powder.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Im a big fan of hydro packs. In the 80's we did it it with canteens. AzNuggetBob

Ahhh....the yummy taste of metal :)

Dad and I used WW2 canteens in the 70s.
Tom H.

2 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

Dave ... Initially i clean with a solution of bleach and warm water. That kills all the bacteria ... some of which contribute to the foul taste. The next bath is Peroxide and warm water. Be sure that it gets into the tube and mouth piece. Finally a mixture of baking soda and warm water premixed in a 2 quart pitcher. I use about a half of a standard size box of Arma nd Hammer Backing Soda to the 2 quarts of warm water ... once all is dissolved pour into the bladder and again be sure solution gets into the tube and mouth piece. I let this sit overnight if possible. That is my extreme wash and sanitize program. Minor washing between freshwater fills is the peroxide and water solution left over night and well rinsed before I put as many ice cubes as possible and finish the fill with fresh water ... and off I go with a days worth of cool fresh water. This routine may be over kill but I don't have the rubber taste you refer to. on ocassion I will add a little flavor to the water by way of "Real Lemon" powder.

Good points Mike
I forgot to mention removing the mouth piece when storing the pack.old water will sit in the hose. also they sell a cleaning kit with brush for the the hose and cleaning tablets.
I agree baking soda mixed with water in it over nite will help get the "old flavors" out too.Before I got my pack I used to carry two frozen GI canteens in the summer time, was never enough when nugget hunting at over a 100 degrees.

8 minutes ago, TomH said:

Tom H.

No Tom I upgraded to the poly canteens. Metal sucks :D and dont forget to take the cap off and dont fill all the way up before freezing.

AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomH said:

Tom H.

Yeah, I remember using them Tom.  I also remember putting grape soda in one when I was a kid, boy I never did that again.  I still have them, they are  dated 1941 and 1943.  Warm water never did taste good out of them but it kept you going.  Also you would try to sneak up on a deer and the water in a half empty canteen would slosh around and make noise to give you away.  Poly canteens were a thing of the future then but an improvement.  I really don't get any bad taste from my hydro pack, I fill half way and put in the freezer then fill the rest of the way before I go out. 

Old Tom  

• Like 3

Thanks adam!!!!

Just ordered one for myself! I dont even remember how old my current Camelback bladder is...:sickbyc:

I also used this code today and saved $5.50, almost covered the $7 for shipping,EASTER15 (15%off!!):woot:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Thanks adam!!!!

Just ordered one for myself! I dont even remember how old my current Camelback bladder is...:sickbyc:

I also used this code today and saved $5.50, almost covered the $7 for shipping,EASTER15 (15%off!!):woot:

Thanks Alwaysdirty for the coupon code. It was enough to make me buy one.  :yesss:

53 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

Maybe Adam is on to something. It may be the quality of mine sucks. I'll try the baking soda trick and see if that helps. I always keep it clean and store it in the freezer between uses. 

I've had slimey algae growing in mine, I use baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to clean it out. Good as new after that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

Maybe Adam is on to something. It may be the quality of mine sucks. I'll try the baking soda trick and see if that helps. I always keep it clean and store it in the freezer between uses. 

Dont let Ruby lick it clean either :P
Tom 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, adam said:

Out of the three Camelbak ( military line) that I have owned, each one has always had at least one nylon D ring at or near the top of the shoulder. However, I can not confirm that for this particular model.

Yes bob, this bag has minimal real estate for extra water, or a lot of additional items.... Very Minimalist, as stated above. It will fit a specific need though.

Personally , after 8 years of using the Camelbak Hydration Systems, I have never experienced that problem. I suspect that issue, is with lesser quality products.

I have used camelbacks for about 20 years, and for the last 15 years, I have never tasted the bladder.  You get used to it.

Time for rambling......

Up to last year, I had a canteen I would drink water with.  Couldn't find the old metal ones, but the new plastic ones worked well.  Very nostalgic.  I had a couple of people offer to buy me a real water bottle, but I told them I had the best water bottle man ever created.

It's amazing how these inventions come along and you can't do without them.  Cheap headlamps: "My guys can't go outside to work at night because we can't afford to buy them headlamps."  How did we ever get by in the 80's before they became so cheap?  Same thing with camelbacks.  Can't go outside and work without hands free hydration.  Again, camelbacks are not that old and many people used a one quart hard plastic canteen, and if that was not good enough break out the two quart canteen and you're in business.  If that didn't work get two 2 quart canteens and that ought to be enough for a few waters.  Are you cold?  Those two quart canteens you just filled up attach to a portable heater (rucksack) and move around with that portable heater on your back and you'll warm up.  Too hot? Keep moving and drink more water from those two quarts.  Bet this sounds familiar to quite a few on these boards.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think Adam caused a mad rush.  I got one too :thumbsupanim