Nugget Shooter Forums

My Daughter Is Graduating College

Au Seeker

Well my daughter is graduating from college on May 13th, and she has been freaking out for the last 6 to 9 months because she doesn't have a car,
she really hasn't needed one for the last 4 years since she lives in the downtown area and the college campus is also downtown so she has been able to
easily walk to all of her classes, but after graduation she will be moving out of the city and will indeed need a car, 
she texted me about 3 weeks ago freaking out again and about on the edge of tears saying "I don't know what I'm going to do, 
I need a car very soon and I don't know how to even go about getting one, can you help me and tell me how to start getting financing for being able to
buy one, but I'm worried that I won't be able to afford the payments!!! confused0067.gif ".
I know my daughter very well and I'm sure she had a tear or two rolling down her cheeks sad0049.gif by the time she finished typing the text, so I told her
that I have been looking for months for a deceit car that would be affordable for her to be able to make the payments and I would help her getting it financed,
I also told her if I haven't found one by the time I come up for her graduation that we would go car shopping and find one local to where she lives,
what I didn't tell her was that I was going to buy her a good used car for her graduation present evilgrin0039.gif !!

As I mentioned I had been looking for quite sometime now, mostly for a Toyota Camry, or Avalon but even though I saw many they were all either asking
too much or they had way to many miles for what I was looking for, last weekend I saw an ad on my local Craig's List for a 2007 Corolla that was in the 
ballpark of what I could afford, the seller was asking as usual more than what it was worth so I called him and made him an offer, he said he would think 
about it and call me back, so 4 days later after I though he wouldn't accept the offer he did call me back saying he would take it, so I take off work around 
noon to go to see the car and if it was as depicted in his ad I had the cash ready to purchase it, got there and the car is all he said it was so now my daughter
has a car, BUT, me being the way I am she will have to wait until the day of her graduation to get it, she doesn't know I have found her a car, much less she 
will not have to pay for a car and it will make her cry a lot of HAPPY tears right after she graduates!!!

Now as I mentioned I was trying to find her a car with some bells and whistles that why I was hoping for a Camry or Avalon, 
BUT this Corolla while yes it's a base model but it has power windows, locks, cruise control and alloy wheels, what made me jump very fast to snap it up is, 
as mentioned it's a 2007 BUT it only has 6652 miles on it, YES that right a 10 year old brand new car with 6652 MILES!!!! anim_65.gif dancinsmiley.gif jumping0002.gif

I got it for "Book Value" and I ran the Vin to make sure all was on the up and up, it smells like a new car, it looks like a new car, it drive likes a new car,
the car was owned by the seller's father, he maintained it like it was a Ferrari, he had the oil changed every 6 months and it never had more than 400 to 500 miles 
between oil changes, all maintenance was done by the dealer he bought it from and I have all the documentation for all the work ever done, it will last her for at 
least 10 years while she establishes her career then she can afford something with the bells and whistles.

Here's a few photos.

Carolla.jpg

Carolla 2.jpg

Carolla3.jpg

Corolla.jpg

• Like 8

Hey Skip, it sounds like you got a great deal.  All of those Toyotas are really dependable.  And that is key.  My guess is your daughter is going to flip out and give you one of those hugs that you remember for a looooong time :4chsmu1:  That is going to be one awesome graduation gift.   Heck, I am nervous just thinking that my 12 year old will be driving a car in 4 years!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Andyy said:

Hey Skip, it sounds like you got a great deal.  All of those Toyotas are really dependable.  And that is key.  My guess is your daughter is going to flip out and give you one of those hugs that you remember for a looooong time :4chsmu1:  That is going to be one awesome graduation gift.   Heck, I am nervous just thinking that my 12 year old will be driving a car in 4 years!!

Andy, I know the feeling on them driving for the first time, both of my kids took driver's ed. and past with flying colors so it made it easier to let them behind the wheel of the family vehicles and them completing the driver's ed. course sure made insuring them bit cheaper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

What a great find, Skip..! Truly an one-in-a-million,
especially in this day and age of disposable everything..!

Swamp

Al, the way I see it, it was meant to be her car, she worked very hard to get into college and has done very well there, I believe that I only found this amazing little 10 year old new car because she deserves it.

• Like 4

"Craigslist".....It's a love/hate thing here...it can be frustrating and it can be rewarding...:th:Some great deals can be found, but usually it takes a while....if your daughter is that much in distress about a car, I'd give here a call...tell her under "NO CIRCUMSTANCES" buy or make a deal for any wheels unless or until you get to look it over first.  My biggest worry would be that she'd find some used car shyster that would talk her into committing herself into a contract for some "salvage" vehicle that isn't worth the paper the contract is written on...

• Like 1

YAHOO GREAT POPS FOR SURE. My first Toyota was a 75 corolla sr5 and what a fantastic unit. Corolla has been rated best buy from Consumers Reports for over 20 years and that mileage is amazing. If I ever saw a deal like that it would be mine asap. I'm down to 2 toy 4 x 4 trucks so always on the lookout. When the math is done a corolla beats even a Prius hands down-yes not as much mileage but still fantastic, much lower insurance, much lower annual registration and cheaper maintence hence a win win win. Your the MAN and hold on tight-my baby girl just turned 45 and don't know where the years flew too-kudos-John

• Like 1

That's good stuff.

Best of all no payments! Have a pow wow about what a big deal that is ---setting aside a few hundred bucks monthly as if she did have payments will put her way ahead of the game.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

"Craigslist".....It's a love/hate thing here...it can be frustrating and it can be rewarding...:th:Some great deals can be found, but usually it takes a while....if your daughter is that much in distress about a car, I'd give here a call...tell her under "NO CIRCUMSTANCES" buy or make a deal for any wheels unless or until you get to look it over first.  My biggest worry would be that she'd find some used car shyster that would talk her into committing herself into a contract for some "salvage" vehicle that isn't worth the paper the contract is written on...

She already knows not to even look at anything without me much less make a commitment, we have talked extensively on the subject.

43 minutes ago, Hoser John said:

YAHOO GREAT POPS FOR SURE. My first Toyota was a 75 corolla sr5 and what a fantastic unit. Corolla has been rated best buy from Consumers Reports for over 20 years and that mileage is amazing. If I ever saw a deal like that it would be mine asap. I'm down to 2 toy 4 x 4 trucks so always on the lookout. When the math is done a corolla beats even a Prius hands down-yes not as much mileage but still fantastic, much lower insurance, much lower annual registration and cheaper maintence hence a win win win. Your the MAN and hold on tight-my baby girl just turned 45 and don't know where the years flew too-kudos-John

Yes John, this car will last her for many years, well beyond the time she needs to get her career and life on track, and yes they're great on mileage, it gets 30 city and 38 highway, with a tank capacity of 13.2 gal. she can drive around 400 miles city and around 500 miles highway, and fill up from an empty tank for $25 to $30!!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MacGump said:

That's good stuff.

Best of all no payments! Have a pow wow about what a big deal that is ---setting aside a few hundred bucks monthly as if she did have payments will put her way ahead of the game.

Yes no payments is a VERY BIG DEAL,  and yes there will be a talk about setting aside money as she will have students loans to pay starting a year after she graduates...but she has always been good with managing her money, luckily the cost of college was offset by a few scholarships, but I plan on making a big dent in those loans before then..BUT MUMS THE WORD, don't anyone tell her!!!

• Like 1

Skip  Your are a wise and Godly man to take care of your family.  You have met your daughters needs and then some by putting her through college and now helping her set up her future.  What more could a daughter hope for?  You are a proud dad and I am sure your daughter would want no one else for a Dad.  Bless you.....

• Like 3

Nice job Au. Nice car too. She will love it I'm sure. No payment is a big thing and really helps out.

Andy I know the feeling. My oldest boy turned 15 in February and it still hasn't set in fully that he gets his permit in a few months. Kinda wears on the ol heart a little bit. Sucks they have to grow up.

• Like 3