Nugget Shooter Forums

Natural cut

Your enthusiasm is appreciated, but you continue to post pictures that are obviously not meteorites.  The first one here, for example, has literally zero qualities of a meteorite.  Please take some time to educate yourself and stop posting a picture of every rock you find.

• Like 2

You can compare it with iron iv A or AB, an octahedrite, not yet etched,  the problem maybe I post raw material here, and I believe most members have finished materiaps , that underwent rigorous and for that case stringent process

Some members  always have a problem with whatever I post , I think its right time  someone intervene.

Do these ones have meteorite characteristics.

DSC00217.JPG

The first pic is of a terrestrial rock. It is not a meteorite.

The last three stones have characteristics of meteorites. One I have had classified, Danby Dry Lake Meteorite, is very similar to these pics. Unfortunately, we will need larger, clearer pics to make a better identification. How magnetic are they? If you grind off a small corner to see inside and take a pic that would help us. Were they purchased? What is their history? Much more information is needed to make a preliminary determination here.

billpeters

Edited by billpeters
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jimale said:

Some members  always have a problem with whatever I post , I think its right time  someone intervene.

Do these ones have meteorite characteristics.

DSC00217.JPG

Jimale,

I'm an Administrator here at NuggetShooter forums, you're asking that someone intervenes, I have seen all of the posts you have posted and all replies/comments to your posts, as of yet I have not seen any reason to intervene, all who have replied to your posts have only posted their opinions on what you have posted, they have not been rude to you or posted anything derogatory towards you, other than what they see in your photos do not look like a meteorite.

I'm not an expert on meteorites, and most if not all of the members who have replied to your posts may not call themselves an expert, but I can assure you that they all have a great knowledge on meteorites, you as of yet have not posted your qualifications on your expertise or knowledge on meteorites.

I understand you're not happy that they all have said that nothing you have posted are not meteorites, if you are sure that some if not all of the specimens you have posted are meteorites then you should post irrefutable scientific evidence that they are, I assure that all who have replied to your posts will admit that they were wrong and that the specimens are indeed meteorites, if you have no evidence as such then maybe you should have them classified showing that they are meteorites.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimale said:

You can compare it with iron iv A or AB, an octahedrite, not yet etched,

They do not look anything like an iron meteorite, regardless of type (and type, ironically, you could only ever know by analysis).

15 hours ago, billpeters said:

The first pic is of a terrestrial rock. It is not a meteorite.

The last three stones have characteristics of meteorites. One I have had classified, Danby Dry Lake Meteorite, is very similar to these pics. Unfortunately, we will need larger, clearer pics to make a better identification. How magnetic are they? If you grind off a small corner to see inside and take a pic that would help us. Were they purchased? What is their history? Much more information is needed to make a preliminary determination here.

billpeters

All what I post is a collection, collected in a span of a year, not restricted to any locations, I travel àlot and traversed in most part of the country, for these three,  I picked them from street leading to my house, where the bulk of my collection comes from. In my previous posts  I mentioned the lack of necessary tools to carry out those procedures.

In the case of evidence, scientific that is where the contention lies,  I remember posting a rock with a fresh fusion crust, clear metal flecks,  another with weathered thumbprint, then all are labelled terrestrial, i tend to think, the word is overused, and misused.

In addition, meteorite, are known for impact melt or shock veins, that are distinct from terrestrial rock, the vein may contain minerals or without it due to weathering,  some may manifest secondary minerals on impact. Consequently, nothing is written on a rock here.

Doubting is good, but with limit, I have seen a post with a clearly lab analysis, then someone asks from which lab ,  I mean its just too much,  mind you, there is nothing like fake meteorite,  an Arab Bedouin can ID an and collect meteorite , coz of his practical knowledge, and the availability , the same applies to me. On the contrary, I hold a masters degree in a very different field, though, I oppose the opinion that a geologist, know nothing about meteorite.

With such lengthy discourse thank you

DSC00784.JPG