Nugget Shooter Forums

Observed fall.

Hi

This is a belated story but its worth reading.

On Jan 6 , 2017, as I lay under a clear nite sky at 7:45 p.m in my home, abright meteor appeared from north,  it literally lit the dark nite into day light,  it vanished into south east of where I lay , puting into consideration the dark flight,  the following day on 7th at 4:00 , I started the journey,  when I reached the place where I approximately though it landed, I found three rock laying side by side with a big dust.

Have a look

DSC00097.JPG

DSC00127.JPG

DSC00054.JPG

DSC00051.JPG

They are clearly not meteorites from the photos. They look like sedimentary rocks with zero characteristics of a meteorite. They would not be found side by side. It is nearly impossible to determine where a meteorite landed from just one observer. You need triangulation from multiple observers. I noticed that you did not report a sound. If one had landed within 80 kilometers from you it would have produced a loud sonic boom. Dark flight occurs while the meteor is above 40 km overhead. Passing overhead from north to southeast from you would place the meteorite roughly 80 to 300 km away from you. You may want to report your sighting to the http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/fireball-report/

Keep looking down,

They're out there.

billpeters

• Like 1

Jimale,

You will want to look for something that looks like this, if it is a fresh fall..

Dave

meteorfresh.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, billpeters said:

They are clearly not meteorites from the photos. They look like sedimentary rocks with zero characteristics of a meteorite. They would not be found side by side. It is nearly impossible to determine where a meteorite landed from just one observer. You need triangulation from multiple observers. I noticed that you did not report a sound. If one had landed within 80 kilometers from you it would have produced a loud sonic boom. Dark flight occurs while the meteor is above 40 km overhead. Passing overhead from north to southeast from you would place the meteorite roughly 80 to 300 km away from you. You may want to report your sighting to the http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/fireball-report/

Keep looking down,

They're out there.

billpeters

Everyone can access that website you are referring to me, don't waste your energy on that next time, it seems you don't understand much about meteorite characteristics,  by the way , it's not you to tell me if they are meteorites or not,  I posted a photo of camel donga meteorite you don't even know much about them, keep collection the o/c chondrite , In AZ 

I don't blame you for that coz the entire USA,  the probability of finding either lunar or mars meteorites is less, Kortev had Ben looking for the stuff 30 yrs , for an amateur like you to recognize it from a photo will be a a nite mare, pliz, silence itself is part of knowledge

22 hours ago, SanDomingoJim said:

:laught16:

Jimale,

I have looked for yours or anyone else's report on the http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/fireball-report/ of a bollide over Kenya/Tanzania on Jan 6/7, 2017. None were listed around those dates. I have 19,211 lifetime meteor observations, of which about 6 could have landed. Two bright meteors landed over 500 km away. The other four would have landed 160- 240 km away. I have searched approximately 200 days and 1000s of hours for meteorites at strewnfields, new fall sites, and open desert country and have found success few and far between. I have found and gotten published new finds in the Met Bulletin. I have owned Camel Donga since it was first offered. I don't think I have commented on any Camel Donga photo you have presented. I give talks on meteor-wrongs and meteor flight dynamics. My advice is based on the evidence you have presented. I would suggest that you take your rocks to a reputable lab for proper analysis. If any rocks are confirmed to be meteorites they may be submitted to the Met Bulletin for nomenclature.

Keep looking down. They're out there.

billpeters

Edited by billpeters
  • Like 5