Nugget Shooter Forums

What kind of rock.

I  found this rock as was hunting for meteorites, it's so heavy, magnetic, and identify an olivine green minerals, the rock kind of peeled some part dark and another part light.

This area is an arid land, just plain track with less rocks The question of volcanic rock shouldn't arise 

I am reasonably confident it s a very wet basaltic rock AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jimale said:

I  found this rock as was hunting for meteorites, it's so heavy, magnetic, and identify an olivine green minerals, the rock kind of peeled some part dark and another part light.

This area is an arid land, just plain track with less rocks The question of volcanic rock shouldn't arise 

There's all kinds of volcanic stuff in Kenya. YOu've heard of the Rift Valley.....? Looks like a lava bomb. Sorry.

Edited by weaver hillbille

Where did you find it , roughly?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S003192010500261X3-7dcfb3faca.jpg

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 2

Thank you, for such a good piece of  research I like members who support their comments with a fact, however,  the rock was found between mandera Lugh basin and anza basin,if it's from volcanic activity: then two things to consider here , when Was the last time that a volcanic activity occurred in Africa, 

Secondly, the rock would have weathered so much considering both natural and from human activity. Thirdly the distance between rift valley and where I found it, is enormous , 

Lastly, I didn't  find this rock alone but it had a partner, that is why it attracted my attention.

I understood, lunar and mars rocks look similar to terrestrial rocks,  that is the complexity.

PSX_20170405_214027.jpg

19 hours ago, homefire said:

Living between three extinct volcano's  I assure you it's Basalt.  Probably by shape a Basalt Bomb.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_bomb

No casualties yet reported as per this rock.HF

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:28 AM, Jimale said:

DSC00063.JPG

'Special rocks' get around....

Perhaps it was intended to be launched by a trebuchet?  It could have been moved hundreds of miles from where it originally formed.

I could even imagine a herd of elephants kicking it along as they migrated from place to place.

The features that stood out to you may have stood out to someone in the past who may have transported this rock for a long distance for who knows what reason.

How far have you taken it since you found it?

Just some thoughts....

Luke

How did you determine the rock was magnetic?  This sample is very, very weathered.  The odds of these rocks coming from the Moon or Mars is so small as to be very improbable.  Always seek out the simple answer(s) until facts force you further afield.  Kena is a BIG place, with a very diverse geologic record.  Could you narrow down the discovery area to say 5 square Kilometers?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 9:03 PM, Jimale said:

Thank you, for such a good piece of  research I like members who support their comments with a fact, however,  the rock was found between mandera Lugh basin and anza basin,if it's from volcanic activity: then two things to consider here , when Was the last time that a volcanic activity occurred in Africa, 

Secondly, the rock would have weathered so much considering both natural and from human activity. Thirdly the distance between rift valley and where I found it, is enormous , 

Lastly, I didn't  find this rock alone but it had a partner, that is why it attracted my attention.

I understood, lunar and mars rocks look similar to terrestrial rocks,  that is the complexity.

PSX_20170405_214027.jpg

The underside of the rock

DSC00480.JPG