Nugget Shooter Forums

The SDC 'birdshot sound'

LukeJ

Hey all....

I made it out the other day for a few hours and fortunately was able to score a 'skunk buster' before I had to head home.

This little guy was found in a heavily traveled gully and I had even heard it on a previous outing but decided not to dig since I already had my three dozen quota of birdshot for that outing.  :idunno:

The other day, I strolled past the same place and just like before, swung the coil in this 'obvious' spot and heard 'the birdshot sound'.  Since I hadn't yet recovered more than a couple tiny bits of lead that day, I figured I'd get this one out of the way, so I wouldn't have to hear it again on a future trip.  :head: 

It's always a good surprise when you're looking at gold in the scoop.   :4chsmu1:

For those of you who use an SDC, you're probably familiar with the particular sound that the tiniest of lead shot will make when detected.  It's a faint 'standard signal' with a 'trill' at the end.  Obviously, you should dig all targets.  Even when you're sure....    :arrowheadsmiley:

This nugget is .13g, which is a good average size SDC nugget.  It was pretty much on the surface but still only made a very faint target response.  I thought for sure it was going to be birdshot, right up until it wasn't.  These pictures aren't that great, but it looks to me like the nugget is neatly folded gold wire, somewhat crystalline or 'chevron-y'.  Which could explain why a 'huge' nugget like this would still be on location and right on the surface.  ( It's not a solid piece )

Glad I 'let it lay' before, or I would have gotten the skunk last time out.

:D

Luke

PS.  The piece (.04g) on the dime was found a month or two ago.  Once again, it made the 'birdshot sound' and I was certain it was....  until it wasn't.   :thumbsupanim

20170331_200424 (2).jpg

20170331_200353 (2).jpg

20170312_232750 (2).jpg

Thats cool how angular and and crisp that first one is.

After hunting with you and a couple of other guys with SCDs...I must say the machine is really good!

Great finds :)
Tom

Good job Luke and I know what your talking about-that little flutter at the end of the shot sound with the sdc-I still dig them all :head: Mike C...:200:

Yep yep! I always dig that little musical note. Its sometimes trash, but it seems the more rough textured the target is...the more you get that trill at the end. All the nugs I've found with mine have had that sound. 

Good job man!

Wait a minute Luke, you mean to tell me you have been apart of nuggetshooter for a number of years now and have met,talked too and detected with some of the best prospectors on here and you didn't dig a target!! You let it go more than once?!!:Just_Cuz_15:  I thought these guys taught you better than that..Lol!!! Glad no else got it before you dude!!! Thanks for sharing, very nice gold.

On 3/31/2017 at 8:40 PM, LukeJ said:

Hey all....

I made it out the other day for a few hours and fortunately was able to score a 'skunk buster' before I had to head home.

This little guy was found in a heavily traveled gully and I had even heard it on a previous outing but decided not to dig since I already had my three dozen quota of birdshot for that outing.  :idunno:

The other day, I strolled past the same place and just like before, swung the coil in this 'obvious' spot and heard 'the birdshot sound'.  Since I hadn't yet recovered more than a couple tiny bits of lead that day, I figured I'd get this one out of the way, so I wouldn't have to hear it again on a future trip.  :head: 

It's always a good surprise when you're looking at gold in the scoop.   :4chsmu1:

For those of you who use an SDC, you're probably familiar with the particular sound that the tiniest of lead shot will make when detected.  It's a faint 'standard signal' with a 'trill' at the end.  Obviously, you should dig all targets.  Even when you're sure....    :arrowheadsmiley:

This nugget is .13g, which is a good average size SDC nugget.  It was pretty much on the surface but still only made a very faint target response.  I thought for sure it was going to be birdshot, right up until it wasn't.  These pictures aren't that great, but it looks to me like the nugget is neatly folded gold wire, somewhat crystalline or 'chevron-y'.  Which could explain why a 'huge' nugget like this would still be on location and right on the surface.  ( It's not a solid piece )

Glad I 'let it lay' before, or I would have gotten the skunk last time out.

:D

Luke

PS.  The piece (.04g) on the dime was found a month or two ago.  Once again, it made the 'birdshot sound' and I was certain it was....  until it wasn't.   :thumbsupanim

20170331_200424 (2).jpg

20170331_200353 (2).jpg

20170312_232750 (2).jpg

Gesh Luke When I looked at the nugget on the penny  photo #1 the first thing that came to mind is it looks like the head of an Aztec serpent god. AzNuggetBob

2 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Wait a minute Luke, you mean to tell me you have been apart of nuggetshooter for a number of years now and have met,talked too and detected with some of the best prospectors on here and you didn't dig a target!! You let it go more than once?!!:Just_Cuz_15:  I thought these guys taught you better than that..Lol!!! Glad no else got it before you dude!!! Thanks for sharing, very nice gold.

Yeah, yeah....   I know....   I know....    :idunno:        

I guess that's why I felt the need to mention this particular circumstance.   :D

.....and Yes,  I do hunt with some of the best in Arizona.  :4chsmu1:

Thanks   :thumbsupanim

Luke

Archived