Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

2.5 hours


Alwaysdirty

Recommended Posts

Got out yesterday and decided to clean some bedrock off. I had to be back by noon so with driving and hike time that gave me about 2.5 hours of praying to the gold gods. For my sacrifice's (blood,sweat and sore muscles), I was rewarded with a gram of fines. I vacuumed up two buckets of bedrock dirt about 2/3 full each, in total I cleaned off around 30' of wash.

 

Clean bedrock.jpg

1 gram.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Nice...that bedrock looks like it still might be holding some gold???  It's hard to tell by just a picture, but it looks like there are a lot of cracks that haven't been hammered/chisel/pryed open???

I did thoroughly scrape and clean the Bedrock off, some of it broke away while scraping. I'm guessing this spot isnt a real old deposit, there is a thin layer of hard clay filling most of the deep cracks, there is no gold in that clay, I have panned it out. All the gold is dropped out on top of the clay layer, I dont think it would be worth the time to chisel out bedrock (maybe). I would be better off drywashing the next 30' of overburden downstream and cleaning off that bedrock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

I get pretty anal when cleaning out cracks and crevices...OCD thing...

Its understandable when it comes to finding gold!

7 hours ago, homefire said:

Nice Gold......   You did a fine Job cleaning up that Rock....  Did you leave a Mint on the Pillow ?

:brows: :200:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, adam said:

A gram in 2 buckets !!!     Thats good ground dude ..:brows::oregonian_winesmiley:

Gotta take the man's word about it for sure..!

Question though: While the gram in 2 buckets sounds good, it's only half the story.. How would you say that works out when you figure in linear footage too..? I'm thinking in comparison to totals ( # of buckets + linear feet = total grams recovered ) from some of your & BD's forays onto wash bedrock..?

Swamp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, adam said:

A gram in 2 buckets !!!     Thats good ground dude ..:brows::oregonian_winesmiley:

Crazy huh! I ran those two buckets through the drywasher like three times making sure not to miss any.

20 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Gotta take the man's word about it for sure..!

Question though: While the gram in 2 buckets sounds good, it's only half the story.. How would you say that works out when you figure in linear footage too..? I'm thinking in comparison to totals ( # of buckets + linear feet = total grams recovered ) from some of your & BD's forays onto wash bedrock..?

Swamp

Lots of variables with that Swamp. Width of the wash, grade, jaggedness of bedrock, annual rain fall, alignment of the planets.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:41 PM, Alwaysdirty said:

Got out yesterday and decided to clean some bedrock off. I had to be back by noon so with driving and hike time that gave me about 2.5 hours of praying to the gold gods. For my sacrifice's (blood,sweat and sore muscles), I was rewarded with a gram of fines. I vacuumed up two buckets of bedrock dirt about 2/3 full each, in total I cleaned off around 30' of wash.

 

Clean bedrock.jpg

1 gram.jpg

"Hey" Alwaysdirty,    .....SAY, Now that's some pretty nice looking exposed bedrock; looks to be decomposed granite with that reddish-iron tint .  I've got a question for you:   Based on the photo, this bedrock appears to be exposed on an "Outside" bend.  Is that right???  Is there a sand-rock bar (or berm) on the Right-Side of this exposed bedrock ( on the Right side of your photo) ???  If there is, this is most likely where the original creek channel flowed ( leaving that berm) when there was greater water-force to move heavier rocks, boulders, etc. in the distant past.  It may even be a bit higher than that exposed bedrock.  Then, because the water-force was not great enough to move that berm during any further flooding-years, it forced the water-course to be where you see it today, and expose that bedrock.  I have found a couple of places like this myself, and I think you have hit a Hot Spot!!!.  Those pickers and fines that you sucked-up with your vac are only a taste of what is under that berm.  IF THAT BEDROCK EXTENDS UP UNDER THAT BERM, THAT IS WHERE YOUR LARGE NUGGETS WILL BE:ROFL:, especially if the bedrock drops in lower pockets under the berm.  As a test you could start removing all the boulders, rocks, sand, dirt, etc. from the berm-bank and put them on the exposed bedrock (about where you vac is laying in the photo).  I would go into the berm-bank at least 3' in and about 6' upstream with a pick and shovel.  Leave about an inch or-so of material on your newly-opened area, and then detect over that to get the large nuggets.  I think you might be surprised at what is there.  Then later (if there is bedrock there) go in with you vac and suck up the pickers, and fines.  JUST SOMETHING I WOULD DO :brows:.  Good Luck with it.  Gary            

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

  I would go into the berm-bank at least 3' in and about 6' upstream with a pick and shovel.              

Thanks Gary,  I'll give it a shot. I was actually going to drywash that inside turn area going up the slope to the right. But doing a nice test hole like that sounds fun. I hope your right!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/28/2017 at 7:28 AM, middleforkminer2 said:

Nice...that bedrock looks like it still might be holding some gold???  It's hard to tell by just a picture, but it looks like there are a lot of cracks that haven't been hammered/chisel/pryed open???

Crevicing tool, wire brush?

AzNuggetBob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Crevicing tool, wire brush?

AzNuggetBob

I've never used a wire brush and I'm just now building my first vac-pac, but during my 30+ years of dredging, I learned early on to chisel out cracks to the absolute bottom. Maybe it's different down there, but I wouldn't be able to sleep, knowing I'd left the bedrock fairly intact.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, middleforkminer2 said:

I've never used a wire brush and I'm just now building my first vac-pac, but during my 30+ years of dredging, I learned early on to chisel out cracks to the absolute bottom. Maybe it's different down there, but I wouldn't be able to sleep, knowing I'd left the bedrock fairly intact.....

Try it some time. it helps free up some of the small pieces of gold that are stuck in the clay filled cracks in the bedrock.

AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, boulder dash said:

Seems to me you should of had more like 7-10 buckets of vacuum material in a 30 ft stretch.  Must of been no overburden.  

None, I had already placered and detected this spot thouroghly months ago. Rains came through and really cleared off the bedrock and brought down no new overburden except a little bit. When I first got back there I was worried all the fines got washed away!

8 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Crevicing tool, wire brush?

AzNuggetBob

I almost brought my welding wire brush! I ended up bending a 45 at the end of a t-handle tire plug reamer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, wet/dry washer said:

Never use a steel wire brush, it will drive a metal detector crazy. Dollar tree sells a dust pan, brush for a buck, as long as you support the pan with your fingers they last a long time.

+1. No fun detecting an area after somebody used a wire brush. At least you know that they don't use a detector.

Dean

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Especially planet alignment for sure..!

Ok -- leaving out quoted statements & replies, basically you & BD just answered where I had been going with that question to adam..

What I was trying to figure out was the (& why the) discrepency between the # of buckets you ran vs the # of buckets they seem to run on average if/when footage is stated re one of their clean-outs.. You'd previously placered & detected that stretch, & BD chimed in with their normal amount of material for a like distance.. Mystery solved.. :)

Swamp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dbado1 said:

+1. No fun detecting an area after somebody used a wire brush. At least you know that they don't use a detector.

Dean

That's what a magnet is for and if your having a problem with brush bristals your using a cheap Dollar store brush.

AzNuggetBob

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Especially planet alignment for sure..!

Ok -- leaving out quoted statements & replies, basically you & BD just answered where I had been going with that question to adam..

What I was trying to figure out was the (& why the) discrepency between the # of buckets you ran vs the # of buckets they seem to run on average if/when footage is stated re one of their clean-outs.. You'd previously placered & detected that stretch, & BD chimed in with their normal amount of material for a like distance.. Mystery solved.. :)

Swamp

I should also mention I classified to 1/4" to save room in the 1/2 bucket I planned on carrying back, but things were going so good I filled up the only two I brought. Feel like an idiot for not just bringing the drywasher, but didnt think it was totally necesarry and a good hike in to carry it for such a short amount of time. Yeah, a 140 is alot lighter than two buckets of dirt! :th:The extra time it took to carry them back and classify could have been spent setting up and running the drywasher real quick. :grr01:Oh well, live and learn. :idunno: 

Edited by Alwaysdirty
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice how was the dirt dry enough for drywashing I hope lol hitting rose creek next weekend to get the sluice wet lol good luck out their 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...