Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums
tomleft

gold bug 2 or Garrett A.T. gold ?????

Recommended Posts

Hi which would be better looking for nuggets in Arizona ????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya can't beat a GB2 for gold in AZ

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i keep hearing that but wanted input on the garrett at gold and if it works out here??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know anything  about the Garrett, but heard and read lots on here about the GB2

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomleft said:

i keep hearing that but wanted input on the garrett at gold 

Theres a reason for that. GB2 hands down. If your serious about finding gold, take the time to learn the ways of the GB2 and you will surely be satisfied with your investment.

The Garret will not find as small of gold as a GB2. Thats all the reason I would need to pass on it. :Just_Cuz_06:

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot more Bug Poop gold to be had then larger nuggets for sure.  That's why I went with the GMT. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Whites GMT for sale in the classifieds on here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some found with GB2 (gone now :-( )

Wednesdays gold.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a side by side comparison with a friend who had a garret at. GB2 won hands down.

As illogical as it may sound, I would go with the 6 inch coil for the best results. Those small coils are dynamite.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 6.5" coil is not illogical at all.  This is so because of three undeniable factors:

NUMBER ONE: It has incredible sensitivity when paired with the 6.5" coil. A GB2 so equipped is capable of successfully detecting tiny bits as small as .002g (two one-thousandths of a gram) plus anything larger -- by far the broadest recovery spectrum of any detector on the market. I'm not saying you should spend your day recovering .002g specks.  All I'm pointing out is a verifiable, repeatable fact that cannot be matched by any other detector that sports a 6.5" coil.

NUMBER TWO: In its day the GB2 was the lightest detector to swing.  When mounted with the 6.5" coil even in 2017 the GB2 remains one of the lightest, least clunky, most maneuverable detectors available.

NUMBER THREE: A 6.5" coil makes pin-pointing a snap.  When I'm into a patch I don't want to be wasting time.  After getting familiar with the GB2's small coil a skilled person 95% of the time can pop the target with a modest sized plastic scoop on the first try and have the nugget in his poke within seconds.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Garrett makes good coin and relic machines, but they've never been up to snuff on gold nuggets...When I was running my prospecting shop, I had quite a few folks come in with them, frustrated at Garrett lack of performance...I tried to help, but they just don't make good gold machines...My 2 cents!...Cheers, Unc

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think they ever tried.  The Scorpion (So Called Gold Machine) was only marginally better then any of there other 15Khz machines.  Hell I have a Old American S3 15Khz that does about the same.

 

HF

Edited by homefire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Micro Nugget said:

The 6.5" coil is not illogical at all.  This is so because of three undeniable factors:

NUMBER ONE: It has incredible sensitivity when paired with the 6.5" coil. A GB2 so equipped is capable of successfully detecting tiny bits as small as .002g (two one-thousandths of a gram) plus anything larger -- by far the broadest recovery spectrum of any detector on the market. I'm not saying you should spend your day recovering .002g specks.  All I'm pointing out is a verifiable, repeatable fact that cannot be matched by any other detector that sports a 6.5" coil.

NUMBER TWO: In its day the GB2 was the lightest detector to swing.  When mounted with the 6.5" coil even in 2017 the GB2 remains one of the lightest, least clunky, most maneuverable detectors available.

NUMBER THREE: A 6.5" coil makes pin-pointing a snap.  When I'm into a patch I don't want to be wasting time.  After getting familiar with the GB2's small coil a skilled person 95% of the time can pop the target with a modest sized plastic scoop on the first try and have the nugget in his poke within seconds.

Ooops. I meant the 6.5" coil. In any case, you couldn't have stated it any better. 

To a neophyte it might sound illogical to buy a small coil since they can't go as deep as the 10" coil. But then you learn for every pennyweight nugget, there's probably 50 or more much smaller ones out there. That's where the 6.5" coil shines.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep and there are a pile more of them out there.  Little bits of Gold are good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite as sensitive but still out shooting most others for 'small gold' ... the Gold Bug Pro with that small 'hockey puck' coil is a little easier to use than the GB2. I have to agree with Ron about the Garrett Machines. They just are not on a par with Minelab or Fisher ... just my personal opinion however having used a number of machines over the years. Another machine for consideration would be a White's GMT or a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. One caveat ... any machine used for gold detection that advertises discrimination as a major function (aka multifunction gold, coin, treasure combination) of the machine will usually not be as good as a similar machine designed specifically for finding gold. Can't speak for all of us who detect on a regular basis but I find I use or may consider using discrimination about 1% of the time. My two most used and successful machines ... Minelab SDC2300 and GPZ7000 ... do not have any discrimination at all. I don't think I have ever used the discrimination on my Fisher Gold Bug Pro. On my White's MXT I have used the discrimination but that is because I also use that machine coin and treasure hunting when I go back East to NH and ME. I hunt the beaches and some old homesites with it back there.

Mike F

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used my GB2 for 23 years and, while I never hunt in the Disc mode, I use it to ID a target and have developed my interpretation of the sound in disc to tell the difference between ferrous, lead and gold with about a 99% accuracy.  I taught Dodacious how to do the same and she's gotten pretty good at it.  The closest I can describe the sound is that gold is a solid zip and ferrous and lead have a "crackle" at the tail of the signal, although lead takes lots of practice to discern the difference.  Cheers, Unc

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GMT with the concentric I've seen it kick my butt on small stuff. I had the AT gold and the GMT stomped on it. The GB 2 couldn't get more then half of the flakes we found. Ended up using a bucked and a small plastic spade. Any sound went in the bucket to be panned out later.  Been proven to me that the GMT is the only choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Don't forget about the newly released Gold Monster 1000 from Minelab :thumbsupanim

Jennifer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Whitebutler said:

GMT with the concentric I've seen it kick my butt on small stuff. I had the AT gold and the GMT stomped on it. The GB 2 couldn't get more then half of the flakes we found. Ended up using a bucked and a small plastic spade. Any sound went in the bucket to be panned out later.  Been proven to me that the GMT is the only choice. 

Not exactly the most fair side-by-side-by-side comparison I've ever heard about.. Both the GB2 & GMT should kick the AT Gold's butt on the small stuff.. You can't put an 18 kHz glorified coin shooter up against two of the highest frequency dedicated LF gold detectors out there and expect anywhere close to similar results.. That just ain't gonna happen..

What I actually find disconcerting though is the discrepancy stated between the GMT vs GB2.. Those two machines are wayyy more evenly matched than the results mentioned.. If anything I'd have to call an operator error foul or invoke a rented ears penalty on whoever was driving the GB2.. These two machines should play out practically side-by-side, coil-size to coil-size against each another.. The 23 kHz difference here is negligible when comparing against the 30 kHz diff between the AT Gold - GMT or 43 kHz vs GB2..

I own a GMT, incidentally -- not a GB2.. I thought a long time about and put a bunch of research into both before deceiding which one to get though.. As it's turned out either would work equally as well here in the eastern gold belts -- assuming it gets used at all, that is.. Since I'm usually around water when there, it's the MD 20 if anything seeing the action..

I also own an AT Pro.. It's a great machine -- for what I'm presently using it for, which is dry beach / upper-to-mid-line shore detecting, and as long as I don't try to force or expect it to perform beyond it's capabilities it remains a great machine.. The beach around here has been rebuilt and is constantly being renourished / replenished.. The only things I expect to find on it deeper than six-to-eight inches are crushed buried beer cans.. Yet the AT Pro has hit every denomination of modern clad coinage in damp sand to 16", so far, which is slightly deeper than the length of the mini shovel I carry and already deeper than I really want to dig for a greenie quarter, much less a brownie dime or half-dissolved penny.. So it's really nice having accurate target ID along for the walk too.. When I get tired of playing with loose change and junk jewelry and feel like walking the surf and digging deeper going after real jewelry, for which this stretch of beach is not particularly noted, is when I go get the Infinium and a longer shovel.. Not really -- I get a long-handled deep-bodied scoop.. :idea:

Swamp

PS: Merely my opinion and lop-sided thoughts at the top.. I mean nothing by it.. After all, really, what do I know..? I can't find a gold nug around here for nuttin', not even one set in a ring.. :4chsmu1:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Swamp,

   I found one. I posted a few pics on the nuggets only thread. I think you'll like it.

Cheers

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitebutler said:

Hey Swamp,

   I found one. I posted a few pics on the nuggets only thread. I think you'll like it.

Cheers

John

Yeah -- saw when you first posted it in......................
Where the heck did I see it..? Musta been over at Steve's.. Someone was asking about your gloves I remember,
if you cut them or were they made like that..? Purchased..

Anyhowww -- sweet hunkachunka for sure..! What were you swinging when you got it..?

Swamp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swigging the GPZ7000. It was 2 feet deep and was a reverse signal and very soft sound. I don't care what people tell us or say. Gold that big that deep is very quiet and super smooth. All the way to when I popped it out. 

Getaftrit

John

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pics or it didn't happen,..lol

Edited by GeoJack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Not exactly the most fair side-by-side-by-side comparison I've ever heard about.. Both the GB2 & GMT should kick the AT Gold's butt on the small stuff.. You can't put an 18 kHz glorified coin shooter up against two of the highest frequency dedicated LF gold detectors out there and expect anywhere close to similar results.. That just ain't gonna happen..

What I actually find disconcerting though is the discrepancy stated between the GMT vs GB2.. Those two machines are wayyy more evenly matched than the results mentioned.. If anything I'd have to call an operator error foul or invoke a rented ears penalty on whoever was driving the GB2.. These two machines should play out practically side-by-side, coil-size to coil-size against each another.. The 23 kHz difference here is negligible when comparing against the 30 kHz diff between the AT Gold - GMT or 43 kHz vs GB2..

I own a GMT, incidentally -- not a GB2.. I thought a long time about and put a bunch of research into both before deceiding which one to get though.. As it's turned out either would work equally as well here in the eastern gold belts -- assuming it gets used at all, that is.. Since I'm usually around water when there, it's the MD 20 if anything seeing the action..

I also own an AT Pro.. It's a great machine -- for what I'm presently using it for, which is dry beach / upper-to-mid-line shore detecting, and as long as I don't try to force or expect it to perform beyond it's capabilities it remains a great machine.. The beach around here has been rebuilt and is constantly being renourished / replenished.. The only things I expect to find on it deeper than six-to-eight inches are crushed buried beer cans.. Yet the AT Pro has hit every denomination of modern clad coinage in damp sand to 16", so far, which is slightly deeper than the length of the mini shovel I carry and already deeper than I really want to dig for a greenie quarter, much less a brownie dime or half-dissolved penny.. So it's really nice having accurate target ID along for the walk too.. When I get tired of playing with loose change and junk jewelry and feel like walking the surf and digging deeper going after real jewelry, for which this stretch of beach is not particularly noted, is when I go get the Infinium and a longer shovel.. Not really -- I get a long-handled deep-bodied scoop.. :idea:

Swamp

PS: Merely my opinion and lop-sided thoughts at the top.. I mean nothing by it.. After all, really, what do I know..? I can't find a gold nug around here for nuttin', not even one set in a ring.. :4chsmu1:

My thoughts on the GB2 operator also.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...