Nugget Shooter Forums
tomleft

gold bug 2 or Garrett A.T. gold ?????

10 hours ago, LipCa said:

My thoughts on the GB2 operator also.

X2, had to bite my tongue when I first read that. I doubt the GB2 was at its most sensitive settings, were headphones and a six inch coil in use I wonder. The GB2 I use detects gold I can barely pick up its so small, need tweezers for it.

• Like 1

Headphones on all the machines and yes 6"coil on gb2. The GMT clowned GB2. The Garrett dint even show up really, I mean it was there but no sound at all.

We'll just have to settle on the old saying "To each his own". 

GB2 for life!!

Good luck out there guys!!!

always post this image for these discussions. Head of pin alongside wife's nugget she found with her GB2.

Small 1.jpg

• Like 2

One thing to remember about the GB2 -- its high frequency gets absorbed in iron rich dirt, thus severely curtailing depth.  Therefore, depending on the density of the iron rich soil, an operator can make some adjustments to cope with such soil.  For example, here in So California we have some spots that are loaded with black sands and larger ironstones.  But not all black sands and ironstones are created equal.  If the black sand and ironstones are of the weaker variety (i.e., they stick to a magnet, but not tenaciously), then the GB2 operator can still keep popping gold by adjusting the ground balance slightly negative (so that the ironstones begin going "ka-pow, ka-pow" instead of "zip-zip" while the nuggets and flakes continue to register as zip-zips).  BUT, if the black sand and ironstones are of the strong variety (i.e., they smack onto a magnet with a force similar to a steel nail), then the only solution I've come up with that enables me to continue draining such a nugget patch with my GB2 is to manually deploy my "ironstone rake", i.e., a magnet tipped trident that I rake through the layer I have exposed to physically remove them.  A less taxing alternative is simply to recognize the limitations of a GB2 and switch to my "go-to" PI, the GPZ 7000 which I almost use exclusively these days anyway because of its incredibly broad spectrum of abilities to adjust to almost any challenge.  But not everyone can afford this luxury.  For them, a GB2 in my opinion should remain as a valuable consideration.  I know very little to nothing about the modern Whites products other than they appear to be heavier, bulkier.  Some folks I chat with are strong endorsers of their Whites.  Others not so much.  So I remain neutral on that subject.

• Like 2

I agree, soil makes a difference.  I have also seen GB2's that needed a tune-up.

I continually hit pieces with the GB2 that are so small that I just throw the dirt back when I can't find them. (I should throw that dirt in a bag and pan it out).

Edited by LipCa
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LipCa said:

I have also seen GB2's that needed a tune-up.

Like fresh batteries!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Like fresh batteries!

:laught16:

Swamp

Ok I'll not say anything about fresh batteries or operator in the same sentence. 

I will say the soil where we ran these was extremely hot in streaks about two to seven feet long and five or so inches wide. I tested the soil there with my GP 3000 also and even got for it. Hard core dirt for all. The 7000 however likes it. 

Yeah maybe want totally fair to other machines. I'll agree to that. 

Cheers

John

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 9:37 AM, jjbond said:

Don't forget about the newly released Gold Monster 1000 from Minelab :thumbsupanim

Jennifer

No offense but I really doubt the gold monster will find those tiny pieces that the gb2 can since it runs at a lower frequency.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Whitebutler said:

Ok...

Cheers

John

If anything, I'd really like to know if the AT Gold would've picked up on that lunker you nailed a couple three weeks ago with your 7K..?

I can get all size coins loud and clear on the beach in wet compact sand at a measured 16" with its sister machine (AT Pro,) so I can't help but wonder if given the size of that nugget the AT Gold would / could have heard it at two feet..?

Just a curiousity thing is all, since that'd be right nice from a sub-$750 machine..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al

That lunker wouldn't air test with the ATgold at 2 feet but it would at 19 1/4 inches. So in the soil I'll say no most likely not. It as whisper and reverse target with the 7

Getaftrit

John

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 1:59 PM, tomleft said:

Hi which would be better looking for nuggets in Arizona ????

See what you started ...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Whitebutler said:

That lunker wouldn't air test with the ATgold at 2 feet but it would at 19 1/4 inches. So in the soil I'll say no most likely not. It as whisper and reverse target with the 7

Getaftrit

John

Hey -- first off I think it's great you even took the time and were obviously curious enough yourself to test the AT Gold's ability on a large nugget.. Most wouldn't.. I wasn't expecting to hear you had..

Because you did though, we now have an actual user's example for this level of Garret's tec's abilities / limitations.. Gold nugs detectable @ 19" for $750..? I'll take that all day every day..

Swamp

• Like 1