Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

homefire

$15,000 Quarter Found.

Some day !  Some Day for Sure !

Quarter.PNG

Must be an early Carson City strike..
Almost no others worth that kind of scratch unless AU or better..

Swamp

A story worth the time to read. Thanks for posting the link.

Ditto... but hope that fella gets his oily hands OFF the coin as that reduces the value of that amazing find. John

On 3/21/2017 at 0:11 PM, LipCa said:

It's easy to see how concepts like "fake news" can grab a foothold in the U.S.A. seemingly overnight.. As an added bonus we're also treated to one of the ways the Dumbing-down of America takes place, simply by using this article as the example:

On the surface it reads real nice, even touches a heart string or two with a bit of poetic justice tossed in as well.. Yet there's absolutely no way in the world I would attach my name as the author.. Why not..? Welll, while this article isn't exactly "fake news" in the same manner as the way this term has been being tossed around since its recent invention, it is most definitely "incorrect news" and / and/or "incomplete news" -- which does by extention make it "fake news.."

What's Wrong With This Picture ?

Assuming the author did get the quarter's mint year of 1854 correct, that information only tells a portion of this coin's story.. The 1854 no mint mark, arrows at date, no rays around the eagle quarter-dollar coin is actually fairly common.. At a nearly 13.5 million total units production run it was the 2nd largest run since quarters were first produced in 1796, superseded at that time by only the 1853 no mint mark quarter run of 15.2M..

The 1854-O ( O = New Orleans mint ) quarter-dollar, on the other hand, had a production run of just under 1.5M coins..

The 1854-O Huge O variation / variety, of which this coin is, so should have been the identified and stated subject in this article, had a run of unknown quantity; the New Orleans Mint's records show only a combined total of 1,484,000 coins produced..

Also, given that the 1870-CC and 1871-CC quarter-dollar coins had production runs of 8,340 & 10,890 respectively and are valued at about 3x the 1854-O Huge O, I believe I could make a pretty good case for their being a whole lot more of the latter than those accounted floating around somewhere (exception being if it's known they were melted down, and I've never seen anything to that indication..) But that's another story for another day..

Let's talk about proof coins for a moment.. First a quote from this article:

" According to a national coin collector’s site: “Seldom is a Proof of this date ever offered. It is estimated that 10 to 15 exist today. NGC Price Guide is $17,250. Proofs of with-arrows Seated Quarters are nearly non-existent. Total survival of the type is estimated to be around 20-25 coins in all grades. "

Interesting.. For starters: Officially, proof quarters weren't put into production until 1856..
There are known examples of proof quarters prior to this date though, and they are extremely rare & pricy..
However, to the best of my knowledge ALL proof coinage was minted at Philadelphia until 1968..

Ergo, not only is the article's author 'mixing metaphors' but we also have no idea about what she talketh.. Following is a snippet showing the only place the coin's year is mentioned in the article:

" ... Inside of that wax paper bag was the Holy Grail of coins - an 1854 Arrows Liberty Seated Quarter, one of only about a dozen that still exist in the world... "

Well, I suppose 'about a dozen' qualifies as something if the author is talking about the 10 to 15 supposed known proof 1854 no mint mark coins out there.. However, if she's trying to include Mr. Johnson's coin in that fold she's incorrect for a couple of reasons: 1) There are no 1854-O proof quarters, and, 2) His coin falls into the 20 - 25 1854-O Huge O total known population in any grade category.. So, 'couple dozen', yeah; 'about a dozen', not so much..

Anddd, just in case all the above isn't already more-than-enough mis-information to turn an otherwise good normal person into a dunce who has no idea what he's talking about after reading this article and is now verbally trying to share it with another, let's close out with this little gem:

" ... On the reverse is a Heraldic eagle with denomination below, surrounded by rays... "

There are no rays on any 1854 quarters.. The rays were one year only: 1853.. So if Mr. Johnson has an 1854-O Huge O quarter with rays on the reverse it can mean only one of two things, one of which is really really good and the other not really..

And people wonder how & why we're turning into a Nation of idiots and fools..?

Do your research, author.. That job at Mickey Ds drive-thru is still waiting for you should you find doing so too difficult.. But not for long; robots on the horizon..

Swamp

PS: Thanks for posting a clickable link to the article, Lip..

5 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

It's easy to see how concepts like "fake news" can grab a foothold in the U.S.A. seemingly overnight.. As an added bonus we're also treated to one of the ways the Dumbing-down of America takes place, simply by using this article as the example:

On the surface it reads real nice, even touches a heart string or two with a bit of poetic justice tossed in as well.. Yet there's absolutely no way in the world I would attach my name as the author.. Why not..? Welll, while this article isn't exactly "fake news" in the same manner as the way this term has been being tossed around since its recent invention, it is most definitely "incorrect news" and / and/or "incomplete news" -- which does by extention make it "fake news.."

What's Wrong With This Picture ?

Assuming the author did get the quarter's mint year of 1854 correct, that information only tells a portion of this coin's story.. The 1854 no mint mark, arrows at date, no rays around the eagle quarter-dollar coin is actually fairly common.. At a nearly 13.5 million total units production run it was the 2nd largest run since quarters were first produced in 1796, superseded at that time by only the 1853 no mint mark quarter run of 15.2M..

The 1854-O ( O = New Orleans mint ) quarter-dollar, on the other hand, had a production run of just under 1.5M coins..

The 1854-O Huge O variation / variety, of which this coin is, so should have been the identified and stated subject in this article, had a run of unknown quantity; the New Orleans Mint's records show only a combined total of 1,484,000 coins produced..

Also, given that the 1870-CC and 1871-CC quarter-dollar coins had production runs of 8,340 & 10,890 respectively and are valued at about 3x the 1854-O Huge O, I believe I could make a pretty good case for their being a whole lot more of the latter than those accounted floating around somewhere (exception being if it's known they were melted down, and I've never seen anything to that indication..) But that's another story for another day..

Let's talk about proof coins for a moment.. First a quote from this article:

" According to a national coin collector’s site: “Seldom is a Proof of this date ever offered. It is estimated that 10 to 15 exist today. NGC Price Guide is $17,250. Proofs of with-arrows Seated Quarters are nearly non-existent. Total survival of the type is estimated to be around 20-25 coins in all grades. "

Interesting.. For starters: Officially, proof quarters weren't put into production until 1856..
There are known examples of proof quarters prior to this date though, and they are extremely rare & pricy..
However, to the best of my knowledge ALL proof coinage was minted at Philadelphia until 1968..

Ergo, not only is the article's author 'mixing metaphors' but we also have no idea about what she talketh.. Following is a snippet showing the only place the coin's year is mentioned in the article:

" ... Inside of that wax paper bag was the Holy Grail of coins - an 1854 Arrows Liberty Seated Quarter, one of only about a dozen that still exist in the world... "

Well, I suppose 'about a dozen' qualifies as something if the author is talking about the 10 to 15 supposed known proof 1854 no mint mark coins out there.. However, if she's trying to include Mr. Johnson's coin in that fold she's incorrect for a couple of reasons: 1) There are no 1854-O proof quarters, and, 2) His coin falls into the 20 - 25 1854-O Huge O total known population in any grade category.. So, 'couple dozen', yeah; 'about a dozen', not so much..

Anddd, just in case all the above isn't already more-than-enough mis-information to turn an otherwise good normal person into a dunce who has no idea what he's talking about after reading this article and is now verbally trying to share it with another, let's close out with this little gem:

" ... On the reverse is a Heraldic eagle with denomination below, surrounded by rays... "

There are no rays on any 1854 quarters.. The rays were one year only: 1853.. So if Mr. Johnson has an 1854-O Huge O quarter with rays on the reverse it can mean only one of two things, one of which is really really good and the other not really..

And people wonder how & why we're turning into a Nation of idiots and fools..?

Do your research, author.. That job at Mickey Ds drive-thru is still waiting for you should you find doing so too difficult.. But not for long; robots on the horizon..

Swamp

PS: Thanks for posting a clickable link to the article, Lip..

Al while I agree there isn't a 1854 with rays, BUT according to PCGS there are an Est. 10 to 15 - 1854 no mint mark proofs out there.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/priceguidedetail.aspx?ms=1&pr=1&sp=1&c=109&title=liberty+seated+quarter

Est. 10-15 known
PR

Here's photos of a couple them from the PCGS website...

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/5550

A PCGS PR64

PCGS PR64

Another  PCGS PR64 

PCGS PR64

1 hour ago, Au Seeker said:

Al...

Hi Skip,

Yeah, I said that.. What there aren't any of is the...

Oh.. Wait.. I know what the problem is, I think.. It's in my comments in re the paragraph quote of hers where she's mixing-and-matching the 1854 plain & Huge O -- using them interchangably as one and the same coin..

When I re-wrote the 'about a dozen' paragraph I missed editing the word 'supposed'.. I can see how that makes it read like I'm questioning the existence of any 1854 proofs at all.. Which I'm not.. I know they're out there.. My bad..

Swamp

PS: Thanks for providing two nice examples too, btw.. :D

ss al- those who are perfect do nothing so all the efforts by all on this thread are appreciated. The world of coins is a pickie place as many grading companies and few agree either. Just wish it was MINE hahaha  :4chsmu1: John

I always thought proof coinage was minted in San Francisco, not Philadelphia.  Just wondering...

18 hours ago, Micro Nugget said:

I always thought proof coinage was minted in San Francisco, not Philadelphia.  Just wondering...

They began striking proofs @ SF in 1968..
In 1994 they began striking proofs @ West Point as well..

Swamp