Nugget Shooter Forums

Low profile, high functionality, moderate cost

goldhair

Hi all, 

Im planning a bit of a journey, along this journey im hoping to carry a metal detector. The plan is to hitch hike from Dallas TX to Tierra del fuego ( the southern tip of south america). 

Im fairly new to gold prospecting, but i plan to devote the time to learn while on the road. 

I think you all have more experience here, so im going to leave a few requirements of the tool and see if you guys know of any metal detectors that fit these needs. 

Requirements for MD

Less than 3 lbs 

water proof  10-50 ft

Breaks down smaller than 2 ft for longest piece 

Can detect: small gold nuggets in seasonal river beds

Wet beach sand   coin, ring, and relic  8-10" depth

Manual ground balance

strong battery life 30-40 hrs 1 set

$ 600 or less 

Very Durable- Can be dropped from human height, get banged and stuffed in a backpack full of lightweight camping equipment. 

So far i have personally narrowed my search to a few MD but none seem ideal. 

Garret at gold

tiger shark by tesoro

1280 x by fisher 

like i said, im new to this game and would love to make a solid decision the first time, as i cant necessarily ship my tool back from the open roads of mexico..

Thanks in advance

Tim 

12 hours ago, goldhair said:

Hi all, 

Im planning a bit of a journey, along this journey im hoping to carry a metal detector. The plan is to hitch hike from Dallas TX to Tierra del fuego ( the southern tip of south america).

Hitch hike through Mexico, Central/South America???  Good luck....

Yeah, ive got a small functional budget. ive been hitchiking in papua new guinea, indonesia, new zealand, and australia.. There is some difference in mexico that i am aware of, but i believe in myself fully to get rides and be able to move fairly freely. my main concern however is the actual prospecting and metal detecting.. I will have to keep this hobby VERY low key in mexico. Unfortunately this is where I expect the most gold to be... I am Hoping that i may cross paths with some friendly helpful locals that could connect me to some hotspots in exchange for percentage of finds... The plan is still lose, and worse case scenario i carry the detector for nothing.. my life comes first of course. 

But ive never been to mexico, middleforkminer2, have you? 

I;m gonna start out by wishing you a lot of luck. I've been to Mexico many times in the past. Some good experiences and some not so good. Traveling alone through the places that you have mentioned you make yourself an easy target.  Some would be opportunists would love to lighten your load and maybe even worse. I'm not trying to scare you, I just don't like to see adventure turn bad without knowing the risks that you are taking on as a lone traveler. There are some great people south of the border, they are not the ones that I am concerned with. I hope you have a great and safe trip and I would love to be able to read about it in the future if you are willing to tell it.    Jim 

• Like 2

I'm going to come right out and say it.    Man that's not so smart of a Idea.  Good Luck on this one.  My bet is you will be lucky to get out of Mexico with your stuff  never mind through the other countries.

HF

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

Im really looking for suggestions on the metal detector options here. I appreciate all your feedback, and understand if you dont want to give advice to someone with a "bad" idea. But if anyone with experience in budget solo travel, or prospecting in central or south america would like to respond with information that could help me better understand what i am getting into, you may be a part of something big! ya never know when the next boot of cortez could be found.. Which brings up another question, if large gold is found, what would be the safest way of selling it?

Thanks in advance  

Tim 

Just one  Question here .  Have you EVER Been outside the U.S.A before ?  I only ask that because you seem Oblivious to the Obstacles  and Dangers your going to subject your self to.

HF

Good stuff. Other then possibly Indonesia I see nothing that compares to what lies ahead on this journey. Bandit's, Rouge Military, Corrupt Officials, Corrupt Police, Anti American populace. The Cartels just to name a few. Snatching Americans for Ransom is more then a once in a while thing down there. I would avoid Venezuela for sure about now. Things are more then Dodgy. That being said using your short list of detectors the AT Gold would be my pick. Water Proof to 10ft. Cut the rods down and use extension rods to make up three sections. At 18Khz it's good on Gold but don't think it will run so well on a Wet Salt Beach. Maybe if the sensitivity is turned down a good bit.

Your NUTs

HF

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

I think the Garret is your only likely choice...get it and practice before you go. If you don't want water proof there are lots of choices....The Fisher GB Pro being one.

The natives may be friendly but gold changes many points of view...so does greed.

best wishes

fred

• Like 3

I've traveled extensively on the cheap in Mexico and points south. People are people wherever you go and the folks in Mexico are some of the finest I've met. It's not a particularly dangerous or scary place. Guatemala on the other hand...

Your plan for hitchhiking doesn't really fit the normal mode in Mexico. Train and bus travel is very cheap and you will meet a lot more of the type of people you will need to know to "get around" that way.

Prospecting of any kind in Mexico is not really going to fly unless you meet some seriously nice (and rich) landowners. You won't do that if you are hitching. It's a class thing.

There is no concept of public land or public minerals there. In fact the Mexicans have a revolution every now and then because they are seriously pissed about the way land ownership is handled there. Getting in the middle of the big landowners and the wannabe land owners while you are taking gold they both believe should be theirs ... well.

It is possible to meet the people that can make prospecting their land possible. It's also possible to meet people who would love to help you get over on some rich landowner with gold on their land. Knowing the difference can be very difficult for a tourist (pawn). Mexico is a seriously class based society so you are going to have to choose a side and be prepared to do what it takes. Sneaking around on your own isn't going to be a realistic possibility. You will stick out like a sore thumb in the rural areas you will need to visit to find gold.

So walk the walk, dress right and get the right introductions and you could be detecting some rich ground eventually. Some Castilian Spanish and some good social radar are a big help. It sounds like you have the radar so the language thing would be pretty easy. Just don't expect to get away with Mexican Spanish with the landowners. That stuff labels you as a possible employee rather than a possible friend.

I know you already know this but it needs to be said. Be respectful always, stay curious, don't oogle the women, don't drink in public, don't have a political opinion, eat what you are offered, expect the best from everyone you meet but be prepared for the worst. If you could do some magic tricks with the detector you choose impressing your hosts will go a long way to getting over some good ground.

A word on the "drug gangs" in Mexico. You always want to keep a wide berth of the Federales. If the hand comes out negotiate the best you can (20% is usually good), pay the vig and move on quickly. Everyone pays the price of "policing" in Mexico except the Hefe and you really don't want him to feel like you slighted his power. When the Mordida "bite" comes expect it's just part of life and act accordingly.

Enjoy your journey. It's worth the effort and I think you will find there is much that's golden al sur de la frontera that isn't gold.

• Like 2

When in the biz in the OC I outfitted dozens of folks in the mid to late 80s to mine/detect and some still in jail-if alive. My great friend Ruth lost her massive organic farm south of Acapulco and my sister in law got screwed out of her housing development out of Lake Chapala(Guadalahara sp?) by a ancient land grant. Enrica in jail forever for trying to walk across with a small gold artifact, others went down in massive rv with a tow behind jeep to mine,came home calling me for help with shorts and flip flops.as Federalies marched in prisoners to work the mine and threw them out with nothing. Err on the side a caution as national pastime now is kidnapping. Just saying the laws in Mexixo are--You are guilty till proven innocent. Caution,quiet and many great folks on Baja Coast/ inside the gulf Santa Rosalina. Hope all works out-John

• Like 1

Thanks John, this sounds like a wild and whooly place to look for gold.. Maybe keeping it low key is my best bet. Im not necessarily in this to make millions, just enough to keep my budget a bit more comfortable. Im leaning towards simple low key practice with local friends i can trust, and hopefully developing my skills by the time i hit "safer" countries.. All of this info and experience is really helping me get a clearer sense as to what i wish to do.. Many thanks to you all!! . 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, goldhair said:

Yes I have...I've also been to South America....like I said, good luck with your endeavor....

18 hours ago, goldhair said:

Yes, If you look at the reply i left to littleforkminer2 you will see some of the countries that I have solo traveled in. This was a trip that took me the course of almost 2 years. 

:4chsmu1:  without a doubt, your charm and quick wit will keep you safe....

Hoser makes a good point that visitors should be aware of. Mexico has a Napoleonic criminal code. All parties are considered guilty until proven innocent by the Prosecutor and Judge (same person). You have very little say in that process and there is no way to raise a "defense" like in the United States.

Typically when things go legally wrong in Mexico your best bet is to get out before the Federales arrive. Translated that means pay off the local cops and Hefe and skedaddle before charges are brought. If you don't succeed in that goal things get very messy, expensive and confusing for someone accustomed to being considered innocent until proven guilty. Your "rights" in Mexico consist or what's in your wallet and how good your traveling shoes are.

Edited by clay
  • Like 3

On 3/16/2017 at 8:09 AM, goldhair said:

Yeah, ive got a small functional budget. ive been hitchiking in papua new guinea, indonesia, new zealand, and australia.. There is some difference in mexico that i am aware of, but i believe in myself fully to get rides and be able to move fairly freely. my main concern however is the actual prospecting and metal detecting.. I will have to keep this hobby VERY low key in mexico. Unfortunately this is where I expect the most gold to be... I am Hoping that i may cross paths with some friendly helpful locals that could connect me to some hotspots in exchange for percentage of finds... The plan is still lose, and worse case scenario i carry the detector for nothing.. my life comes first of course. 

There's a gal on here that is familiar with Mexico if she chooses to answer you she probably could tell you. But I wont drive in Mexico much less hitch hike !

1 minute ago, devilishjim said:

There's a gal on here that is familiar with Mexico if she chooses to answer you she probably could tell you. But I wont drive in Mexico much less hitch hike !

I haven't been down there since the late seventies, but from what I've read, there are areas in Mexico that are under total control of the drug cartels and they've gotten a lot bolder and violent as of late.  Getting through Central America and the northern portion of South America, may get sporty too...FWIW, and from what I've been told,  MS-13 was spawned in El Salvador...sounds like a real adventure though and the only way goldhair will know for sure, is to go for it....keep us posted on you progress, it should be very interesting reading...

• Like 1

Not seen this subject brought up yet !   Just for the Record Have you looked into the simple fact  "Is Metal Detecting or are Metal Detector even Legal"    Some countries I've been they are out right banned.  Jail time just for the open possession of one.  Greece was more then nasty on you if found using one without all sorts of special Permits.  Like Turkey some people seemed to get away with it .  I guess it's was more of Who you Know then What you Know kinda thing going on. 

HF

Well i appreciate all your advice! Just received my Garret AT gold in the mail, went out and found tons of interesting things today! I will keep yall posted as i head south from new york. Heading to the virginia gold fields then down through north carolina, georgia, alibama and on to the beaches of new orleans. Ive decided to purchase a KLR 650 motorbike for easier access and quick getaways if charm and good looks dont work ;). 

• Like 2