Nugget Shooter Forums

If he had turned them in he would have gotten fair value if they were wanted as historical items or if not wanted they would have been returned to do as he pleased with them.  As a retired peace officer I believe he got what he deserved.  A thief is a thief no matter what the vocation.  Laws there are strict but ethical.

• Like 2

Yes he did.  Guess he was thinking he could get more then his share.   How much does the Crown Under value things when they decide to pay out. ????

HF

From my understanding and what I have heard from those who live there, a group of museums and historians appraise the treasure and then any museums, other historical entities and or the local community's residents as a whole who wish the keep the treasure local and on display get to offer a price/bids for any ancient treasure found and declared, if none of them are interested and or can't raise or have the money on hand to purchase the treasure, then the treasure goes back to the finder/s and land owner/s. 

• Like 1

The bottom line is the Crown Owns everything.   Even what is found on Private Lands.   The Crown will pay what they set the value of Treasure Trove Items too private land owners and finders.  Else is Crown  Property.  You need a special ticket to hunt Crown Property.  Everything else is Private lands.  And Not so much of that to be had.  Some Items don't fall under the Treasure Trove.  That too is crown property but given the Nod to do as you see fit if found on Private Property.  LOL   Yep, Messed Up Stuff.   When I was there you needed a License to use a Detector obtained from the GPO  (Post Office).  I think they may have done away with that but you still need one to hunt Crown Property. 

HF

Mebbie Dr Tones will see this thread the next time he stops by.. He was over there a couple three years ago and unearthed a stater.. He eventually got it back, along with a valuation that sounded fair enough.. I'm guessing he got it back cos there's already a decent amount of nice examples on display, which was probably a double win for him since I'm fairly sure he'd rather have the coin than the ££s.. The only reason I can think of for that not being true would be if he needed to flip it to help keep his production thing funded..

Point being he should still have most of their rules & regs in his haid, seein' as how the conversation has turned more in this direction than the guy's screw-up..

Swamp

The guy Knew what he was doing and Got Caught.  A retired police man of all things.  I can understand the frustrations of being required to turn over something like that but Rules be Rules and Laws be Laws.  I have no clues how or even if they could ever get the Laws changed.

HF

I 100% agree, Homie.. 

I'm not even talkin' about him though.. All I was thinkin' is: as we've been speaking in generalities the Tonester probably still has the specific regulation "on file".. Sure, we could all go look it up for ourselves, but we won't.. However, if someone posts it up in front of our faces we might be able to find the time in our oh so busy lives to read it, say wot? -- and then continue the conversation rather than watching the thread die out, which odds are is exactly what's gonna happen anyhow.. 

Swamp 

Yea, interest well be short on this one for sure.   I lived there for 5 years and this  and working 12 hours 6 days a week is exactly why I did little detecting while there.  Greece was even Worse.   You just flat went to jail over there.  LOL 

23 minutes ago, homefire said:

...Greece was even Worse.   You just flat went to jail over there.  LOL 

:WOW::yikes:

Which really makes me wonder about that person who's posting he wants to detect his way from Dallas to Tierra del Fuego via hitch hiking.. I don't even know what to think about that one..!? Been watchin' the thread.. The guys have been givin' him good info & advice.. Still.. As SD Jim said, I'd like to read the book if/when it comes out too.. Even at my craziest and best I don't think I would have attempted that trip, and then was relatively safe times compared to now..

Swamp

27 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

:WOW::yikes:

Which really makes me wonder about that person who's posting he wants to detect his way from Dallas to Tierra del Fuego via hitch hiking.. I don't even know what to think about that one..!? Been watchin' the thread.. The guys have been givin' him good info & advice.. Still.. As SD Jim said, I'd like to read the book if/when it comes out too.. Even at my craziest and best I don't think I would have attempted that trip, and then was relatively safe times compared to now..

Swamp

To the life of me I just can't see a Positive out come on that one.  Warned and Warned and Warned again and Oblivious it seems he wants to stay.  Good point !  I don't think we even got as far as Legality on that one.  Emmm?   

HF

I had a good lady friend who hitchhiked the entire perimeter of South America, starting in Guatemala down the east coast to Terra del Fuego then back up the west coast...The first time she made it as far as Peru and hitched a ride on the back of a heavy equipment hauling truck...They were high in the Andes and the truck went off a 500' cliff...She ended up lying in a shallow river with a tractor on top of her...Her back was broken... locals hauled her up and took her to the nearest village where she negotiated a deal with the local medical person that she would teach his entire, extended family english in return for putting her in a body cast and caring for her...It took nearly 9 months to get the cast off and catching a stewardess job on a commercial freighter at the coast and getting back to someplace in Mexico where she took a flight up to the US and then back to San Francisco..That took her all of a year and a half... She never felt that she had met the challenge she set for herself so a couple years later, she did the whole trip all over again...She went the entire perimeter of SA again and stopped at the village where she had been cared for...She ended up living with the family again and had a year long affair with someone in the family there...Then she hitchhiked up through Central America and then Mexico and ended up in San Diego where she caught a plane to SF...Then she married my best friend, got a degree as a psychologist and set up a practice as a marriage and family councilor ...She and my friend got a divorce and she ended up traveling the world, Africa, China, Middle East... She was a gutsy, interesting and tough lady and was quite beautiful, as well...She died about 5 years ago of a ruptured stomach ulcer... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

I had a good lady friend who hitchhiked the entire perimeter of South America... Cheers, Unc

That's gonna be a tough one to top, Unk..

I have to wonder if being female may have been an advantage for that particular adventure..? I kinda think it would have been, especially if she knew language and norms / mores -- which I wouldn't doubt she did.. Plus she wasn't carrying a metal detector either, such as they were at the time..

Swamp