Nugget Shooter Forums

Geocommunicator Gone

chrisski

Has anyone figured how to use the GEOCOMMUNICATOR tool to see if claims are updated?

I was researching for staking a claim and appears GEOCOMMUNICATOR is gone.  It has been replaced by https://navigator.blm.gov/home.  A back door was using LR2000 to run reports, but that does not work either.

I can't figure the new navigator out.

This thread noticed it also, but they can't figure the BLM site either.  http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/527360-what-heck-happened-geocommunicator.html.  They say use Clay's LANDMATTERS.  I just hope this doesn't ruin the BLM system that feeds his.

The AZ BLM was pretty good at getting my claims entered in GEOCOMMUNICATOR for all to see within 14 days of me mailing them.  So the day before I go prospecting on a new area, I search the BLM database to see if anything new turned up since the last time I checked, even if it was the prior week.  I can't seem to do that.

Edited by chrisski

Geo communicator has been down here in nv for at least 3 years. They went strictly to LR2000. I know it stinks. I liked the maps with it.

Dan

Geocommunicator has not been in service for a long time. The geo was junk to begin with and very misleading to the public that was not savvy to what it was telling them. . I`m sure it may have caused problems on the ground.

Learn how to use the LR2000 , it works just fine and has been...  If you want a geo type program, go to www.mylandmatters.org  .....It blows the Geo away !   We should all be thanking Clay for putting it all together, as he has done an amazing job for the prospecting community.

• Like 5

Yes, I use Land Matters all the time... When you ID a claim, you can go right to the LR2000 info with a click of a button. The only thing that you don't get with any of the programs is the actual map of the claim. Have to go to the county recorder to get that.

Edited by LipCa
  • Like 1

The reports aren't working for LR2000 either.  Last I used GEOCommunicator was Dec of last year.

For LR2000, I know the GPAA claims are active on  (14 07N0N 03W0W 021) (Gila 7N 3W Section 21), but nothing is listed.

Lotsa Luck--The local BLM office has been rather spotty on advice.  Last time I called, they could not figure out how much to charge me for a claim.  They wanted me to send money for a 20 acre placer when I was staking 40 acres.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2017 at 8:57 PM, chrisski said:

Has anyone figured how to use the GEOCOMMUNICATOR tool to see if claims are updated?

I was researching for staking a claim and appears GEOCOMMUNICATOR is gone.  It has been replaced by https://navigator.blm.gov/home.  A back door was using LR2000 to run reports, but that does not work either.

I can't figure the new navigator out.

This thread noticed it also, but they can't figure the BLM site either.  http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/527360-what-heck-happened-geocommunicator.html.  They say use Clay's LANDMATTERS.  I just hope this doesn't ruin the BLM system that feeds his.

The AZ BLM was pretty good at getting my claims entered in GEOCOMMUNICATOR for all to see within 14 days of me mailing them.  So the day before I go prospecting on a new area, I search the BLM database to see if anything new turned up since the last time I checked, even if it was the prior week.  I can't seem to do that.

The new BLM Navigator probably isn't going to help anyone. There's nothing on there now and I don't see any plans to add mining claims ever. It's just another example of government agencies getting bigger budgets to create bigger and better public access and then producing nothing. More than 400 government maps have been removed from public use since 2012, You can find most of those now on Land Matters although they are gone from the government websites.

The Land Matters mining claims maps are updated twice a month on the 1st and the 15th. You can check how current the information is by looking all the way to the right of the information window when you do a query.

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 6.25.05 PM.png

Land Matters doesn't use the LR2000 to update those maps so even if the LR2000 is down (which it often is) we still update the claims maps. We have an account with the main BLM data server in Denver and get the pure stuff directly from there. Land Matters keeps the full BLM database mirrored locally as well as copies going back several years. That allows us to do time and location studies that you could never do with the LR2000 alone. Our twice monthly Claims Advantage closed claims reports are an example of that, you could never find that information by using the LR2000.

The BLM database contains a lot more than just mining claims. Eventually we hope to be able to present much of that information too. We work a lot of hours at this each week but we are trying to replace the work of about 65 government employees funded to the tune of 6.5 million a year. In the meantime we still have to work and make a living like everyone else. Land Matters is entirely run by volunteers, there are no paid employees. Obviously Land Matters is going to have to get some help and funding eventually if we are going to fix what's broken in government data. In the meantime we plod along.

We add about 3 Gb of new data to our databases every month. As that data grows we can bring a lot more features to land users. The one thing we can't do is force the BLM to update their records in the 5 days required by their own rules and then make that information available to the public.

• Like 6

Thanks Clay for all the information you provide. 

This may be a bit off color but I have a question. Is it possible that the federal government doesn't want the information public and easily accessible?

Here's my thought with a lot of the old mining digs being fenced shut and no trespassing United States of America Property being posted at the entrances. Does the government want to hide from future generations...remember most of us are over 50, that the United States of America is our property as U.S. Citizens and all we would have to do is locate the property and file a $180 mining claim, and the minerals are ours to claim.

The BLM LR2000 was an awesome tool. I have to think that the government is still using it for tracking claims, it is just no longer public this I don't know though.

They are or were stealing or country one piece at a time...so we don't notice it much 

Clay,

Love your site, well done... I hope you get a fat government contract to maintain the BLM database, your doing a better job at it...

Dave

• Like 2