Nugget Shooter Forums

SD2100 repairs needed

My Minelab SD2100 needs to be checked out.  It will suddenly go into overload three times in a row, just as if you were swinging over your pick, and then go back to running normal.  It won't handle EMI's any more no matter what I do.  Minelab will not work on it so I need suggestions for a repair station I can send it too.  This 2100 has found a lot of gold and isn't ready for the dump yet!  Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Stickwhipper

Have you had it apart? the reason I ask is the wires can break loose if your not gentle with it when the control box is opened up. It sounds like a coil wire is loose. It coud be on the male or female side of the plug. I agree with HF try another coil. that will at least narrow it down to the box side or the coil. but I'm pretty sure you have a loose wire. It sounds like its restarting, Also jiggle your power cord.

AzNuggetBob

Thanks for the ideas but...

The control box has never been opened up to my knowledge but I'm not the first owner.  The problem is constant with the three coils I've tried and not with the power cord.  It has happened in different areas.  I've not shaken the box to see if there is a loose wire inside.  I can only say that it's gotten bad enough to be unusable.  I'm wondering if it's a problem with the tuning circuit as the tuning screws do nothing when trying to tune out EMI's.

Stickwhipper

Michael

If its not these simple fixes it could be complicated. I've modded early PI's for years. their are not a lot of people out there that will repair them for under $300.00 plus parts and S.H.
The early ones have electrolytic caps in them. they dry out with age and cease to function. easy fix but you need to know what your doing. it could be the coil fets.?
But even with a nice condition closet queen detector the caps still dry out. without in-house testing, its hard to say. you may want to retire it.
IMHO if you dont know enough about electronics to repair them I don't recommend buying them older PI's. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Bob,

I've owned this 2100 for about 5 years and I got it from a very good mate.  The price was an unbeatable deal and while I've not been out with it as much as I would have liked, it's been good to me.  I'm not capable of electronic work so I'm not cracking the box, I'll let the guys who know what they are doing play with it.  I want to at least find out what's wrong with it before I write it off.  I'm hoping there is still life in the girl.

Stick

Stick

My GP Extreme had the same symptoms. After calling around and sending some emails I was told that a Mosfet  (spelling?) Is most likely the culprit. I was told that if I had a good electronics guy in my town, he would mail the part to him and it could be repaired here without sending it off to Australia. I was ready for an upgrade so I opted to buy a new machine. But I still have the Extreme for repair at a later date. Not sure if this is your problem or not but it might be worth checking on. 

Dan

Man , I hate to ask this but........Are you doing these tests indoors or in a backyard around buildings, houses, tee pee`s ,power lines, pad mount transformers, buried cables, electrical, communications lines, reticulated pythons, junction boxes, antennas , thunderstorms, cellular phones,cell phone towers that look like pine trees, palm trees that look like cell towers, heated flooring, running shop vacuums, computers, traffic, radar guns, radar detectors, other PI detectors, gold monsters, radio waves, running engines, airplanes , airports, air traffic control towers, electrical grids, drones, other radio controlled aircraft, beach sand ,salty lakes , girls in bikinis, gyro-copters, kites with keys on the string, two magnets rubbing together, magnet flying off a pick, other detectorisst that dont know what they are doing and are to close, but you wont say anything becausw your such a nice guy, duplex recepticles, Etc , Etc...??   

If not , you may be SOL unless you can send it to woody in AU for repairs.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, adam said:

Man , I hate to ask this but........Are you doing these tests indoors or in a backyard around buildings, houses, tee pee`s ,power lines, pad mount transformers, buried cables, electrical, communications lines, reticulated pythons, junction boxes, antennas , thunderstorms, cellular phones,cell phone towers that look like pine trees, palm trees that look like cell towers, heated flooring, running shop vacuums, computers, traffic, radar guns, radar detectors, other PI detectors, gold monsters, radio waves, running engines, airplanes , airports, air traffic control towers, electrical grids, drones, other radio controlled aircraft, beach sand ,salty lakes , girls in bikinis, gyro-copters, kites with keys on the string, two magnets rubbing together, magnet flying off a pick, other detectorisst that dont know what they are doing and are to close, but you wont say anything becausw your such a nice guy, duplex recepticles, Etc , Etc...??   

If not , you may be SOL unless you can send it to woody in AU for repairs.

Good God!...you forgot under tadpoles and guppies   :)

Tom

• Like 3

Tom  You at all handy with electronics ?  I have a schematic for the SD2000.  Should be enough commonality with the SD2100 to figure out what's messed up.  Mine Lab discourages reverse engineering and home repairs by spraying conformant paint on the PCB's .   

HF

SW,

Are you in or near a major city? Usually big cities have at least one real electronics store left and usually have a guy behind the counter that is working on repairs or projects and might swap board parts for you. Like others mentioned you could contact Woody or Ishmael (if he is still available?) and tell them your issues to possibly have parts shipped over you can take to an electronics store and have them swapped out, or send it over to AU for repair.

I find myself in agreement with AzNB.. As much as it would be nice for the problem to be one of the wires (better case scenario) it's more likely capacitor related (less-than-better case scenario,) especially if the machine was stored in extreme temp swings through the years..

I say accept Homie's offer for a copy of an SD2K schematic prior to turning the machine over to your electronics-capable friends.. If they then trace the problem to a cap(s) odds are you'll be able to find an Old Skool tec on eBay who'll cut loose with the one you need.. It's possible Minelab could still have 'em too, although most places do tend to clear out parts no longer used in their repair chain.. That, however, doesn't account for what a repair tec may have (at home) in his personal stash..

Just a thought..

Swamp

11 hours ago, homefire said:

Tom  You at all handy with electronics ?  I have a schematic for the SD2000.  Should be enough commonality with the SD2100 to figure out what's messed up.  Mine Lab discourages reverse engineering and home repairs by spraying conformant paint on the PCB's .   

HF

HF,

Not handy with electronics at all but I would take you up on your offer of the schematic.  I know of no electronics shop here in Boise but I'll look around as there has to be somebody here.  I'll PM you.  Thanks,

Stickwhipper

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe in Az. said:

check with your local Ham Radio people, some of them are great repair people !!!!

joe

Excellent Idea !  

I agree that many of the old TV repair shop guys (may) figure out the old Minelab PI's,the board parts and pots are easily replaced with comparable components,
but Minelab grinds the values and stock #'s off the components before they coat the boards with white epoxy paint to protect their technology.its really obnoxious crap that there is only one thing on the planet that will remove it well(Aussie bug repellent) I'd also like to know how you reverse engineer failed electronic components?.
and if you use the 2000 schematics could you be dumbing down your 2100 detector?. if you raise the values guessing,your going to be modding it and taking some risks, poof. Good luck.

AzNuggetBob