Nugget Shooter Forums

What Would a Carbonaceous Chondrite Look Like?

I think it depends greatly on what type of CC it is.  Like there are several weathered CV3s from NWA that look a lot like ordinary chondrites on the outside, but there's also very friable CCs like Tagish Lake that probably disintegrated after the first winter.

I think the one you posted is Sutter's Mill, right?  I don't think any were recovered there after the initial recovery period.

CM2. We're working a claim that is within the strewn field and we have been looking, checking specific gravity also in case they show up in the sluice, but also wondered what changes might have taken place in appearance.

Fred, wife's find 8.5g, but was sold to Mr. Meteorite within a short period of time. We still have one but I don't want to alter it in any way.

Mike, our group scored big (8) on this fall but I know there are a bunch still out there.

• 1 year later...
On 3/7/2017 at 4:06 PM, Mikestang said:

I think it depends greatly on what type of CC it is.  Like there are several weathered CV3s from NWA that look a lot like ordinary chondrites on the outside, but there's also very friable CCs like Tagish Lake that probably disintegrated after the first winter.

I think the one you posted is Sutter's Mill, right?  I don't think any were recovered there after the initial recovery period.

Why would Tagish lake disintegrate? I understand it’s friable but it’s also lacking metals which is usually the biggest factor in regards to weathering in wet climates.  Apparently Kainsaz CO in Russia looks similar to the day it fell.  My assumption is less metals-better preservation

I hunted Tagish Lake the next summer for two weeks after the fall. I covered about 155 miles of hiking the shoreline of the lake. My technique was a narrow perpendicular grid pattern from lakeside to treeline slowly moving one lane down shore. I started after breakfast and never quit until about 9:30 p.m. daily. The tiaga forest was hopeless. A small nearby lake was also searched where original pieces were recovered. I found everything but Tagish Lake Meteorites.  I had float planed in and camped in a tent. 

I also hunted Sutter's Mill three months after the fall for 8 days with the same type of technique and found nothing. 

billpeters