Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Bug 2 Head Phones

So the original set of Eagle R Head phones for my Gold Bug 2 are starting to short out or go silent when you move the wire to the head set or move for that matter. It is starting to get to be a real pain but. I know don't pull the wire....if your running and I don't hear the threshold I have to put it over my pick or some metal object to get to hear the threshold again.

Last time out I turned up the threshold and could actually hear very small targets breaking the threshold, mostly buck shot but one of which was gold. It was not until I had them exposed or on the coil that they were indefinable. It was so sensitive. That's the problem

Would you take the lesson as a new way of reading the detectors sounds of your machine or replace the head phones?

if so what Head Phones would you recommend for my Gold Bug 2

This may just be a revelation to the actual nuances of the Gold bug 2 but a long time coming makes me ask the question 

Thanks for any help!

My headphones got beat up for my Exterra 705, and I resoldered the connections and they work fine.

Depending on the headset, you can go to the manufacturers website and order a replacement cable.

If you have a soldering iron, touching up the connections, could be worth a try.  If not, the headset cable could be the way to go, if available.

And if you feel you must replace your head phones I would suggest Sunray Pro Gold phones. These are the best on the market in my estimation ... and I have tried virtually every brand out there. However ... one caveat ... everyone's hearing is different. See if you can try a couple different types before putting done a $100 or more for a new set. 

Mike F

• Like 1

We use the Nugget busters and the Jimmy Sierra headphones with our goldbugs.

On 2/28/2017 at 10:23 AM, GeoJack said:

Koss. Nuff said.

What model Koss do you use? I best pairs I ever used were the TD-81 and the KW-100 models. Both had volume control for each ear which is critical for best results. imho. Having hard time finding something equal or better than those two. 

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

What model Koss do you use? I best pairs I ever used were the TD-81 and the KW-100 models. Both had volume control for each ear which is critical for best results. imho. Having hard time finding something equal or better than those two. 

QZ99's - $69.99. Passive noise cancelling, (oil / foam in ear pads) adjustable volume per side. Very comfortable.

qz99_master_1.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Hey nugget,

You running the Blue Jimmy Sierras? Wanna sell them to me?:brows:

Haha I can't. My son would take me out. They are the blue ones. We really like them.

I can't belived it, I just went out for a short beep and driving back up to get off the quad I see just one of my headsets trailing behind me. I ride with the detector under my leg like a rifle in a scabbard. Headset jumped off somewhere on the road. Toast. Guess I'm in the market for a new set as well.

4 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Haha I can't. My son would take me out. They are the blue ones. We really like them.

It doesnt hurt to ask,right! I would love to find a pair of the Maxiphone II or III's.

Been looking for 2 years now. Maybe I need to try harder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

It doesnt hurt to ask,right! I would love to find a pair of the Maxiphone II or III's.

Hey there is a place here in town that sells whites detectors. Last time I was in there they still carried them. Several pairs actually. Would you like me to look for you?

1 hour ago, nugget108 said:

Hey there is a place here in town that sells whites detectors. Last time I was in there they still carried them. Several pairs actually. Would you like me to look for you?

Please! I would forever be in your debt!

16 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Yea, those Jimmy Sierra`s are sweet headphones. I guess you would be looking for some old stock as I dont think they make them anymore. The Maxiphone II  has the better speaker in it.  Also I sent my pair to Detector Pro for repair and they did it for a very small fee ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adam said:

The Maxiphone II  has the better speaker in it.  Also I sent my pair to Detector Pro for repair and they did it for a very small fee ...

As in they replaced it with an original maxiphone II speaker, so maybe I could send in my Grey Ghost ultimates and have the speakers replaced with maxiphone II speakers?

Jimmy's headphones are great, but Black Widows are like Jimmy's on steroids!...I've worn out two pairs of them...When the wind is blowing the BW's block the sound totally...Downside is, when you're standing almost on top of a rattler you can't hear it... Cheers, Unc

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

As in they replaced it with an original maxiphone II speaker, so maybe I could send in my Grey Ghost ultimates and have the speakers replaced with maxiphone II speakers?

No always, thats not what I meant. I was just saying that it was cool that I could sent the Jimmys in to Detector Pro for repairs, and they would do it, even though they arent  their product.  Your grey ghost likely have the lower toned speaker if they were purchased in the last couple years. The higher pitched speakers were in the Maxiphone IIs, but not the III`s . Detector Pro changed their speakers a few years back to the lower toned one too. They claimed that it heard faint targets better , but I tried it and dont buy it. I prefer that sharp, crisp , clear target sound Vs. the duller low toned response.

3 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Jimmy's headphones are great, but Black Widows are like Jimmy's on steroids!...I've worn out two pairs of them...When the wind is blowing the BW's block the sound totally...Downside is, when you're standing almost on top of a rattler you can't hear it... Cheers, Unc

Yea , Unc...I loved my BW`s for several years , and yes they have awesome noise cancelling capabilities.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Your grey ghost likely have the lower toned speaker if they were purchased in the last couple years. The higher pitched speakers were in the Maxiphone IIs, but not the III`s . Detector Pro changed their speakers a few years back to the lower toned one too. They claimed that it heard faint targets better , but I tried it and dont buy it. I prefer that sharp, crisp , clear target sound Vs. the duller low toned response.

My Grey Ghosts do have the lower tone speaker, a gracious forum member here let me use his Jimmys while he tried my ghosts and we could both hear the difference in the tone and what seemed like signal strength, this was with GB2's, we swapped machines to make sure and it was definitely a difference in the headphones that made the signal seem stronger. Really it was the tail end of the signal was a higher pitch and easier to hear.

Ok, you know exactly what im talking about then.....This is why I hang on to my older headphones and have them repaired so I dont have to buy a newer version.

The gold Bug II speaks a certain language. It takes a special headphone to interpret that language, and transcend it properly.

YODA

Yep, the GB2 does have a distinct language of its own...I got mine in 1994 and it took me years to learn it ... BTW, '94 is the same year Dodacious and I got married, and it took me just as long to learn female lingo too ... Now I can distinguish gold from lead and lead and gold from ferrous ... Most amazing small gold detector ever made! ... After 23+ years it looks like it's been through two wars and a cataclysm and the speaker quit working years ago, but with Black Widows, it still finds the specks!... Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron
  • Like 1