Nugget Shooter Forums

It Sounded Like A Penny

mn90403

We had some big waves to go along with the storm on Friday.  Yesterday some of the waves were over 15 feet in the bay.

Time to go to the beach (I live less than a mile) so time to park in the parking lot and go.  That is what I did this morning and found there were already guys out at 6 AM which was just a couple of hours after high tide.

Time to walk the cut ... wait ... mostly no cut it was all gone over the top.  A couple of miles later after just a few coins I found a patch of quarters/nickles/dimes.  I gridded and found the normal crackling pennies from the corrosion but then got a normal penny sound.  In the scoop was this ring ... I dropped it back to the sand and the 3030 said PENNY.

It was not corroded so I thought maybe gold plate and kept looking for more.  I got $18+ in change, a couple of fishing weights, a couple of keys and a cheap iron ring along with the other trash.

The ring is a James Avery (retired style) that is 585 (14k) and weighs 11.5 g.  The interior is slightly smaller than a penny.  The diamond is small.

Dig your pennies!

Mitchel

DSC09648.JPG

Edited by mn90403
  • Like 9

Nice one Mitchel.  Sounds like we've all been buried in rain, lately.  But at least you're cash'n in.  At first I thought you were using your 7000 (tough in salts?) and then realized you switched attack weapons. 

• Like 1

Very nice find Mitchel, you don't have to get out in the deserts to find gold, it's right in your back yard.

Dave

• Like 1

The best stories are when someone is 'sure' of what they are going to dig up, and well....  Surprise !!

Great find Mitchel.  :thumbsupanim

Luke

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mn90403 said:

The ring is a James Avery (retired style) that is 585 (14k) and weighs 11.5 g.  The interior is slightly smaller than a penny.  

Mitchel

Mitchel -- did it hit as Zinc or Copper..?

I've been trying to compile a chart for gold rings (and jewelry too) based on karat.. Most likely they'll all fall into a range rather than a specific # due to different %s of hardening metals added.. In theory all commercially mfg'd 14k should read the same + -.. Since you said penny rather than using a readout # I'm wondering if ring size could somehow make a difference..? It shouldn't, but... So wanting to validate / eliminate that as a variable.. (Unfortunately none of this can be compared against the #s Steve's been getting & compiling on nuggets: size, location etc., etc..)

If I knew a jeweler well enough he'd let me come in and toss down a buncha stuffs or a rich girl with an overflowing jewelry box this would be an easy task.. Since I know neither it's down to survey sez..

Swamp

• Like 1

Heck yah! Nice find :)
Tom H.

• Like 1

Swamp,

When I say it sounded like a penny, that is the sound for something with those numbers (I don't keep track of them but next time I will for you) associated with most copper and sandwich pennies.  My 3030 on smooth sound response has a lower pitched sound to the left and a higher pitch to the right.

Gold (nuggets and jewelry) normally sounds like a nickel (lower sound) on the 3030.  Silver rings normally sound higher pitched than the dimes and quarters.  You can see them almost off the top right of the screen on a 3030.

I hope this helps.

Mitchel

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Swamp,

Mitchel

I don't know where my head was yesterday, Mitchel.. I'm going to say thanks but don't bother because given what I was asking you I don't think there's any way to convert the 14k ring numbers you got on your 3030 for placement onto an 1-to-100 linear scale, in this case an AT Pro, without first knowing where a clad and copper penny each show up on a CTX screen and what it takes to translate that info plus a 35/50 numerical scale's #s to = where the ATP's circuitry places same on its linear scale.. And this doesn't even begin to get into additional variables, to which the 3030 is much more sensitive and adjustable / adjusts to..

Admittedly I've gotten a bit 'spoiled' being able to use a coin-shooting type machine on the beaches vs a tone-only no-screen all-metals machine.. The only way I'd be able to get the info I was asking of you if I was using my deeper seeker beeper would be to scan the finds again later with the ATP..

So while this began as a good idea in theory, due to differences in chip programming etc. it doesn't translate well if at all in reality and practicality.. Thanks again though for being willing to note the information..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

I never believe TID Numbers my self.  Seen too many times they were wrong.   Just talking Rings it depends on what the gold is alloyed with.  Gold, Brass or Copper give completely different numbers then High K gold.  Gold alloyed with silver like they do sometimes in Europe give completely different numbers.  Pull tabs and rings are too close together to chance So,   I just dig it all.

Sure is a nice ring !

HF

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homefire said:

I never believe TID Numbers my self...

HF

Oh, I'm an absolute believer in readout #s -- NOT..! :Just_Cuz_15:

Of course ya dig everything.. I also noted due to various possible alloys there'd be a range, not an exact number..

What I'm looking for more than anything with this little project (and based on the assumption higher-end commercial mfg's of different Ks of Au rings, chains and charms also use higher-end and similar 'cuts' of/for alloys / hardeners unless they're looking for a specific color shift) is for where they fall, regardless if directly in line with already-known's but especially if "in-between" knowns.. Hopefully too as time goes on 'we' will be able to narrow things down even further and become more specific as it's discovered / determined the hardening material(s) used with/in "this one here.."

One's going to dig (or should dig) no matter what, but at least this way with repeatable in-between signals one may be able to be saying to oneself "12k ring, yeah!" instead of "I dunno.."

That's all this is about: Being able to add to confirmable, repeatable available information..

Swamp

• Like 1

Swamp,

I KNOW what you are looking for.  You said it.  Let me put it a different way:

I have a project.  Please send me all your GOOD finds.

Thank you all.  :ROFL:

Mitchel

• Like 1