Nugget Shooter Forums

Blue Tires - Blue Lead?

Bodie the Dog

I spent the other day crawling around some hydraulic diggings near U Bet in the CA gold country, at one point parking with the driver's side of my truck in some deep mud.

When I got home, I noticed my tires were blue on that side (see pic).  Does that indicate I found an area with the Blue Lead (ancestral Yuba river)?  Should I go and clean out that mud?

bluelead.jpg

If you could find that patch it could be worth an assay.  I looked at silver and I would need to get pounds per ton for me to extract it and make a profit.  For me to extract free milled gold for profit would be two or three grams per ton.  I do figure I've throwing silver ore away, but I doubt it would assay to anything I could make a profit off.

5 hours ago, Bodie the Dog said:

I spent the other day crawling around some hydraulic diggings near U Bet in the CA gold country, at one point parking with the driver's side of my truck in some deep mud.

When I got home, I noticed my tires were blue on that side (see pic).  Does that indicate I found an area with the Blue Lead (ancestral Yuba river)?  Should I go and clean out that mud?

bluelead.jpg

looks like blue sidewalk chalk to me, but what do I know... :idunno::D AzNuggetBob

• Like 1

I wasn't aware the blue clay gravels were part of what was considered the ancestral Yuba river....I know "Blue Canyon" along I-80 was famous for the blue gravels, and is where it got its name and also that the ancient rivers used to run north to south, but never thought they stretched as far north as the Klamath.

It's my impression that blue gravels are associated with the bottom of ancient river beds, and that formation is given different names in different areas.  Around here (Colfax - Washington) it was called The Blue Lead, because they weren't aware other blue leads existed, so they capitalized it.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm still puzzling this out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I found someone who cleared things up.  The dirt in the area has a high acid content, so the blue is created by some chemical process involving same.  Makes sense.    You're not supposed to swim in the local diggings ponds because you can get skin rashes from the high acidity.