Nugget Shooter Forums

Beach find: Cute li'l charm & chain..

Found this Sunday before last, late afternoon, about 1/4 mile S of the Cocoa Beach Pier along the 'front row' towel line as I'm working my way back south to Shepherd Park where I'd entered the beach.. It appears to be a home made (no ID stamps of any sort) multi-piece cast consisting of both solid silver and silver plate.. Measures 3/4" x 3/8" x 1/8".. Nora did a fairly thorough web search and was unable to turn up another even close to this design much less exactly like it; seems to be unique unto itself..

Further south while detecting my way toward the pier I made an interesting (to me, at least) find as well.. I get a high-tone hit but the readout is approx nickle (the hit is 53 on the AT Pro..) Huh..? Scoop.. Out of the sand comes a quarter.. I don't have glasses on but I'm still able to recognize Queen Liz II, although it is an unfamiliar profile in relation to the usual suspect Canadian quarter.. Looks new though, so I just think to myself Canada is now making quarters out of a different alloy and into the pouch it goes..

Normally that would have been that, for then at least, except 5 feet further I get another high-tone and a 91 reading.. Woah! -- that's nice n high..! Half-dollar mebbie..? Out of the sand I pull -------- an older Canadian quarter.. Ohhkayyy, looks like Canada is making a new quarter after all.. Guess we'll sort this out at home.. Drop it into the pouch and promptly forget about it, untilll....

Turns out the 53 reading isn't Canadian after all; it's Bermudian.. I'd never seen one prior to this.. Still don't know out of what it's made; haven't looked it up yet.. It's very slightly wider than the Canadian (which with a reading of 91 I don't know what that was made of either in 1978 as our US clad Qs hit a bit lower) and twice as thick as well..

With the exception of these finds the beaches proper from here south to Wabasso remain a virtual wasteland following Hurricane Matthew's spin-by just off-shore.. There's been absolutely no new sea water action between the lip and dunes since that event; the only thing that's taken place is blowing sand has just about completely covered over all the seaweed left behind.. The remainder of that Sunday yielded a grand total of two cents.. Wednesday in the same location but walking south first brought in 68 cents in dimes and pennies.. This past Sunday @ Melbourne Beach coughed up 38 cents: one quarter, one dime & three pennies.. No jewelry junk or decent, no hot wheels, no fishing weights, no nuttin'..

Here in CC / CCB I normally walk the two front towel lines and the high slope line just over the lip, along with deeper sweeps at the people gathering locations, since they've tended to be the most productive pre-hurricane.. Last week I included the middle slope line too.. That's all out the window now, for the next few trips at least.. It'll be water's edge & splish-splash only for the near-term forseeable future..

Swamp

HopeObv01.jpg 

HopeRev01.jpg 

Bermuda_Canada_Quarter_Obv01.jpg 

Bermuda_Canada_Quarter_Rev01.jpg 

Edited by Swampstomper Al

Nice finds swamp! :)
Do you ever hit the military beaches? Tyndall

Tom

18 hours ago, TomH said:

Nice finds swamp! :)
Do you ever hit the military beaches? Tyndall

Tom

The only one I've ever given a go is Patrick AFB, which is about a 4 mile stretch between S. Cocoa Beach and Satellite Beach.. I'm gonna say that was about six years ago and again a couple years later.. Heck, HomeFire is probably way more familiar with that stretch than I am, from when he was stationed there back when..

I didn't do any good the times I checked it out, but I'd say it was more due to the facts that stretch has both a couple serious issues and it isn't nearly the people beach it once was..

Starting with Mother Nature's POV, if the weather ever gets hairy enough the Atlantic breaches around here, the first place it'll do so will be on the south side of Patrick.. It'll flow across A1A into a huge open area on the southern end of the base then empty into the Indian River.. I'm sure that's why nothing bigtime expensive or important has ever been built there.. The worst that can happen (from ocean water flow) the way things are now in that area is the lower end of a secondary runway may get covered and a couple large hangars may get a salty wet floor.. Not bad, all in all.. They're prepared for this possibility, more likely with 'eventuality' being the better word choice..

Seriously, there are spots on the beachside where you can stand against the dune and see across the road.. I'm actually kind of amazed no major breach there yet, at least not since I've been here (33 years,) but then again there hasn't been any sort of "direct hit" in all this time either.. Something that also may be helping in a preventative manner, and Homie would remember this if he was stationed here at that time, is around the time I first moved here, just off-shore of this breach point and a bit to the N & S as well, they'd dumped these huge slabs and chunks of concrete that were then driven and/or by other means nearly completely buried.. I assume it's a way to flatten the wave peaks.. It must work, cos that location had been hot surfing but after placement no more wave riders..

The beach proper fronting Patrick AFB is quite narrow.. It's also been replenished several times.. I don't know the why nots or pretend to understand the reasoning behind keeping Patrick's stretch so narrow, but if I had to guess I'd say it's because it isn't exactly a public beach although it isn't off-limits either and the Gov't is only going to spend as much / little as possible as it takes to prevent further erosion in a "business as usual" normal tide swing manner of what's left of the dunes there, which for the most part is nothing.. What's left is the same height as the road and in some places so narrow all that's there is a double row of parking spaces and a parallel 'boardwalk / crossover' before a half-dozen steps down to the 'beach'.. If things get bad enough to cause a breach I guess they figure odds are an additional 30 feet of beach isn't going to prevent that event from taking place, it'll just be that much more sand to replace once again following a scrubbing or two.. In accord with military penny wise pound foolishness I can understand but don't necessarily agree with that sort of logic..

From a people POV I have to believe detecting would have been much better there in the '80s.. Both the Officer's & NCO clubs, which were always jammin', were located along that stretch.. And while a teen on until he was right on the cusp of breaking out big, Patrick was one of Kelly Slater's favorite hometown surfing spots.. On a typical weekend, between the surfers and folks who were there just to watch and/or photograph, there wasn't a parking place to be had in any of the lots..

Then the Officer's Club burnt down, so they took over the NCO Club -- effectively chasing the more fun and adventurous of the two groups off the late-at-night weekend beach.. And the surfers went away for reason's mentioned.. Plus, those times were before I'd begun detecting, which prevents me from being able to do an actual then / now comparison.. I can't help but believe the detecting was much better there then than it is these days, mainly because it can't get much worse there than it is now..

Sorry about the long reply.. I can't seem to give simple yes or no answers, especially when there is not-common-knowledge information that may help explain why something turned out the way it is..

Swamp