Nugget Shooter Forums

Drywasher cloth replacement

Alwaysdirty

I've researched it and done it before, however I would like to get the most up to date opinions. Most likely no new magic cloth has shown up but who knows. Any suggestions for best cloth? Best glue? Any tips or tricks?

I'll be doing this on a black Keene 140

Thanks!

Used a homemade puffer drywasher made with cloth cut from a plaid button up shirt bought at goodwill.  It got gold and garnets, but I don't recommend it.

I do know someone who purchased a used drywasher and replaced the black  Keene 151 fabric with black "not to be named" fabric.  That Keene now works awesome for recovering gold.  I do not know the specifics like place of purchase or thread count.

The traditional and most effective is Indian Head cloth. You will probably have to settle for something similar unless you are willing to pay 12+ bucks a yard for old stock.

Tips or tricks :

You will want the red - other colors don't work as well. In particular brown Indian Head cloth on your drywasher is passe and considered very 90's if you know what I mean. Fashion trends are important when drywashing.

When mounting use old boot tacks and bits of rusty screen to attract more gold.

Hey adam ... muslin. :4chsmu1:

Edited by clay

Hey Hey Hey, What ever happened to good old light weight tan or grey canvas? and then you can be fashion natural,  but you may be a little dated? or you can take a risk and if you really want to make a statement, go with the camo canvas.
Don't forget to use a heavier grade on the bellows to complete the ensemble. rusty tacks and screen are optional.
AzNuggetBob

Old reliable methods yes, but isn't there always room for improvement? 

I was considering polyester monofilament screen , it should be more consistent in opening size, it holds a great static charge and would be tougher than cloth. But what about opening size? Maybe 200 mesh or around 70 micron, any suggestion there?

Alwaysdirty, I will chime in on this a little since its its raining here and id rather be beeping.

The idea , in my opinion ( having run thousands of buckets ) is the cloths ability to recover very fine gold, not stretch, and be very breathable at the same time. I have purchased good cloth at Joannes, and some decent cloth at hobby lobby. When I go in those places they think i`m a psyco because i`m blowing through the cloth samples to make sure there is minimal resistance. If you go into stores like this , you will only have a couple options anyway, like literally 2 or 3 rolls that would even resemble a useful cloth in black.

Anyone who says an old t-shirt, flannel, pillow case etc will work, does not drywash enough to have an valid opinion, with merit. 

Please do not use white, yellow or any other color but black. You will regret it, trust me.

As for glues, whatever works dude. I used contact cement the last time. It was awesome because it cured fast and I was able to get a good tight fit. However, I may need a solvent to remove it though the next time i replace the cloth. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Alwaysdirty, I will chime in on this a little since its its raining here and id rather be beeping.

The idea , in my opinion ( having run thousands of buckets ) is the cloths ability to recover very fine gold, not stretch, and be very breathable at the same time. I have purchased good cloth at Joannes, and some decent cloth at hobby lobby. When I go in those places they think i`m a psyco because i`m blowing through the cloth samples to make sure there is minimal resistance. If you go into stores like this , you will only have a couple options anyway, like literally 2 or 3 rolls that would even resemble a useful cloth in black.

Anyone who says an old t-shirt, flannel, pillow case etc will work, does not drywash enough to have an valid opinion, with merit. 

Please do not use white, yellow or any other color but black. You will regret it, trust me.

As for glues, whatever works dude. I used contact cement the last time. It was awesome because it cured fast and I was able to get a good tight fit. However, I may need a solvent to remove it though the next time i replace the cloth. 

Much appreciated, Thanks Adam!

Plain ol White MUSLIN !   Canvas  worked fine for me until it too got the rot.  Sorry only other colors I could find were really nasty colors.  Didn't think about black.  Come to think about it I didn't see any Black back at the time.

This stuff has Promos.  http://www.houzz.com/photos/57103620/Sunbrella-Rib-Taupe-Fabric-7761-0000-Sunbrella-Fabrics-by-the-Yard-contemporary-outdoor-fabric

Edited by homefire